ob1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GO TO CARLOVERS OR SIMILAR YOU CHEAP SKATES

lol, it's not a money issue, i just find it relaxing to do it at home....crack open a beer let the dog out the front with me and give the car a good wash and polish on a sunday arvo.

Make that 100% to blame (former Goss government that is) - apparently Kevin Rudd (former advisor to Wayne Goss) advised him against building the Wolfdene dam even after they were told by the Dept of Water Resources they had insufficient dams........now the idiot wants to be PM!??

That and Australia is one of the highest users of water world wide... The worst drought we have had in years... Australia having one of the highest rates of deforestation...

Also... what exactly was that dam engulfing??? Im fairly sure it wasnt an overly deep dam, but covered a lot of surface area. Ie lots of homes, and fairly lush land getting destoryed.

Really we haven't had a problem until fairly recently, with the influx of mexicans boarder jumping, and the above its just too much for the system to cope with all at once. But really you cant expect the Govt to account for all of that happening, especially all at once.

Lets look at this another way. If we continued to have decent rain, and the govt put all this stuff in, we would be cutting sick, saying why are they wasting the money, we dont need all this stuff that is costing billions of dollars, we have heaps of water, why not spend it on something important... Yet, it hasnt rained, and its now all getting built and everyone is saying its the govt fault for not prediciting all of this, and doing something earlier??? You cant seriously put 100% of the blame on them. I would like to see anyone here do better.

Either way, when we do get the good soaking rains (which will need to be a minium 25year flood type rain, as the water table is so low...) things should be fine. A lot of us will have tanks, and water saving devices installed. All business will have all these waterwise systems put in place, which I HIGHLY doubt will change. We will all be better educated. And we will have all these other systems in place.

But hey, just my oppinion... I could be wrong...

Its a bit like the roads... But thats another story for another day.

Really we haven't had a problem until fairly recently, with the influx of mexicans boarder jumping, and the above its just too much for the system to cope with all at once. But really you cant expect the Govt to account for all of that happening, especially all at once.

Lets look at this another way. If we continued to have decent rain, and the govt put all this stuff in, we would be cutting sick, saying why are they wasting the money, we dont need all this stuff that is costing billions of dollars, we have heaps of water, why not spend it on something important... Yet, it hasnt rained, and its now all getting built and everyone is saying its the govt fault for not prediciting all of this, and doing something earlier??? You cant seriously put 100% of the blame on them. I would like to see anyone here do better.

Either way, when we do get the good soaking rains (which will need to be a minium 25year flood type rain, as the water table is so low...) things should be fine. A lot of us will have tanks, and water saving devices installed. All business will have all these waterwise systems put in place, which I HIGHLY doubt will change. We will all be better educated. And we will have all these other systems in place.

But hey, just my oppinion... I could be wrong...

Its a bit like the roads... But thats another story for another day.

Geez Daveo, you should work in Beatty's PR department (if you don't already)!! ;) If you seriously think this problem happened overnight you're misinformed. I know for a fact that this was forseen BEFORE Goss got elected.....why.....because a close "friend" of mine worked in a senior position in the Dept. of Water Resources. It was reported to Goss that Bris. had insufficient water infrastructure that did not allow for population growth or periods of low rainfall yet Goss's decision (based on Rudd's advice) was that we do not need any more dams - he got elected on playing the green card. Based on a conversation I had with an engineer that designed most of Qld dams, he said if we had the Wolfdene dam we would not be in the poo we are in at present - yes we have to make decisions about where we build our dams, but at the end of the day do you want to hug trees or do you prefer to have water??

Part of any compentant government's agenda is forward planning, not acting retrospectively to every problem as and when they arise like we are experiencing now. Yes, I seriously put 100% of the blame on them ("them" being the Goss govt. + whoever voted for Goss).

You wait to see how much all this new infrastrucure will add to your water rates.............

PS I am not biased to any policital party - this is one of those things that just could have been so easily avoided!!

I did an engineering degree from 96-99 and our 1st semester, 1st year assignment was to "design a sustainable water supply for SE QLD for the next 50 years"....Their were most definitely questions being asked at that time over the viablility of the current water supply.

... another couple of issues....

Gold coast is at level 5 restrictions as well in sympathy of the rest of SE qld even though the hindze dam is about 74% full. We have been on restrictions for ages and pro active saveing water while the rest of the area just watched there dam levels drop.

Residence are supposed to use 140L per person a day or less. Thats 50,000L a year. I have no hope in hell using that amount of water. A guy I work with said his family of 4 used 60,000L in 6 months. Yet we cant choose to use our water washing the car.

I rent and thus can not get a tank installed to have access to rain water to wash my car. I have to use someone elses tank water or go to car lovers.

I feel it is unfair to be allowed 140L and not choose how to use it (not be able to wash my sexy blue car).

I feel it is unfair to be on the highest level of water restrictions when our dam has water. (Although id be happy to still be on level 3 or 4 water restrictions.)

If i still had fish tanks, i would be using heaps of water...... then some one would really have something to complain about.

Edited by Grrr

... another couple of issues....

Gold coast is at level 5 restrictions as well in sympathy of the rest of SE qld even though the hindze dam is about 74% full. We have been on restrictions for ages and pro active saveing water while the rest of the area just watched there dam levels drop.

Residence are supposed to use 140L per person a day or less. Thats 50,000L a year. I have no hope in hell using that amount of water. A guy I work with said his family of 4 used 60,000L in 6 months. Yet we cant choose to use our water washing the car.

I rent and thus can not get a tank installed to have access to rain water to wash my car. I have to use someone elses tank water or go to car lovers.

I feel it is unfair to be allowed 140L and not choose how to use it (not be able to wash my sexy blue car).

I feel it is unfair to be on the highest level of water restrictions when our dam has water. (Although id be happy to still be on level 3 or 4 water restrictions.)

If i still had fish tanks, i would be using heaps of water...... then some one would really have something to complain about.

The gold coast will be on restrictions for ages...even when your Dam is 100% is is not enough..as shown by that fact it has lost nearly 30% in a year despite the fact you are on restrictions!

Yeah dude, Hindze dam is tiny. That said they are doubleing its capacity. And you guys are getting a de-sal plant.

And slapper, there have been a few govts since Goss, so all the people that voted for them as well should be to blame, along with those governments, should the federal govt stepped in? And are any of the other states in a better situation? And Im not for any party either. No govt would have built that dam.

I still say had the Australian people woken up a bit earlier we wouldnt be in this problem. As I said we are one of the biggest wasters of water in the world, yet are the driest continent. Something has to give eventually. We should have always been on 'level 3' restrictions, and business should have always been on 'level 5' as that would have been the starting point they could have made a few exceptions for some businesses. The govt didnt step in, and no one was proactive on a large scale. Why do we need the govt to tell us how to do everything? So we are all to blame for our situation.

And to the people say ohnos I have to go to carlovers. Seriously go down with your bucket, soap, sponge and $4. If you cant do it for that much there is something wrong with you. $4 isnt going to kill you. If it is, either dont wash the car or sell it.

Was at my local asian grocery store at Sunnybank before and at the counter was a sign which read "due to level 5 water restrictions, chinese vegetables limited to 3 bunches per customer" WTF??!!!!! :)

Was at my local asian grocery store at Sunnybank before and at the counter was a sign which read "due to level 5 water restrictions, chinese vegetables limited to 3 bunches per customer" WTF??!!!!! :)

Their suppliers must be irrigating from town water and as such cant produce as much! *Tuns blind eye to water act breach lol :)*

If you HAVE to wash your car at home & anyone questions you, just use/tell 'em it's grey water from the washing machine.

BTW if you go for this option, use water from the rinse cycles & not the main wash- the PH might mess with your paint a bit otherwise.....

The gold coast will be on restrictions for ages...even when your Dam is 100% is is not enough..as shown by that fact it has lost nearly 30% in a year despite the fact you are on restrictions!

Before the restrictions, we were using 1% a week.

the other totally messed up thing is that cabalaba still has no water restrictions cos they have plenty of water and the local councilors refuse to conform with the rest of the area

Redlands shire isnt...not sure if capalabah is in that

that is what I ment - being a gold coast boy i am 1/2 ignorant. Kyms parents live up that way.