SAU Community

Power Overload !

GTS-4-Freak

Hey guys,

Sorry about the heading, its not that exciting... anyway

I just put a new battery in my R33 GTS-4, since then weird shi* has been going on!

Like when i turn my blinker on or the lights on the car will rev at 1500rpm instead of its usual 500rpm, Same with the fan and heater ... even if i put the brakes on, the 4 lights goin on is enough to get my car revving by itself.

I do have a system in my car which consists of a 12" sub, 2 amps and 8 speakers which my have something to do with it but the little Japanese battery that was in it before never had that problem even when it was real low on power.

The battery i bought was an Exide Premium battery from K-mart for 65 bucks or so... It's supposed to be for a Corolla or something but it was the same size as the original Japanese battery that was in there before, even the terminals were the same..

There was one difference... the original japanese battery was hooked up to a tiny thin black hose which looked like it may have pumped water into the battery because it didn't have tops to fill with water..

i just left the hose hanging since the new battery didn't have anywhere for it.... is that ok?? or is water going to piss everywhere??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks GTS-4-Freak:alien:

It maybe something to do with the voltage regulator - however AFAIK they're primarily used to make sure your dash meters give a constant reading desite varying levels of power going through the circuits (i.e. when your reving hard the alternator is going to generate more power...)

Of course, I'm probably wrong!:P

I think the little tube for the batter is a drain in case of overfill or something...

Most newer batteries are supposed to be "maintenance free" - you shouldn't need to replace the water in them.

The hose is a overflow/breather tube for battery. Because the battery is mounted in the boot, by law, you need to buy a battery with this breather tube. This is a precaution as if the battery expands, due to heat, it will expell some acidy fumes, hense the hose dirrecting the fumes out of the cabin.

I also have put a high powered battery, Optima gel cell 1000cca ($300) one of the best types of batteries for car audio, but have not experienced and problems. But i do have a wolf 3d ecu, that replaced the factory ecu.

Alan

Originally posted by Demon Dave

It maybe something to do with the voltage regulator - however AFAIK they're primarily used to make sure your dash meters give a constant reading desite varying levels of power going through the circuits (i.e. when your reving hard the alternator is going to generate more power...)

Of course, I'm probably wrong!:)

Not entirely :) .

The voltage regulator is there to regulate the voltage coming out of the alternator. As the alternator spins faster, it produces more voltage. The regulator limits the output to around 14V. If there was no regulator, the battery would be overcharged, and gradually lose its ability to hold a charge.

The gauges tend to have their own mini-regulators, designed to ensure a constant, stable voltage.