SAU Community

G4 / D2 8 Piston Brakes - The Diffinitive Review

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to post somewhere in here that I have now had the opportunity to use the "race" pads that Just Jap sell for the G4's. I have standard rear brakes with BEndix Ultimates in there and find that not only is there no bias issues, I have fixed a bias issue that I believe the car has from factory. I was regularly cooking rear rotors and pads before but now it all runs fine. Lap times are down and the car stops amazingly. I was regularly braking far too early due to being used to the standard setup. With the addition of good tyres and these brakes I knocked 3 seconds off my previous pb at Wakie.

Thats awesome. You were quick before from memory, so you are into the 1:07s or something now? Though i have to ask, what tyres? Tyres are worth 2-3 seconds at Wakefield, so be interesting to see you run the same tyres as you used to and see if there is any difference in lap times at all. Thats not to take away from the fact that the car is much easier to stop and nicer to drive.

1:11's on new enough RE55's and 1:08.5 with old 2nd hand slicks. My shocks are totally stuffed so if I can find some money for a rebuild of them I will go and have another crack. I nearly came in my pants every time I did a 1:08 so imagine how excited I'll get if I pull a 1:07.9999999!

So you are 2.5 seconds quicker on old slicks compared to relatively new semi slicks? That goes agaisnt the trend of typical time improvements for tyres. I suspect the RE55s were cactus as i would have thought a 250rwks R34 on RE55s would be quicker then 1:11s? Slap some new suspension in and decent RE55s and i suspect you will match/better then slick times!?!?!??!?!?!

LOL, actually no. Sober at present :) Just getting dumber by the day. :P You did you say "With the addition of good tyres and these brakes I knocked 3 seconds off my previous pb at Wakie"

LOL...sorry, just saying thats huge, but with swaybars in the mix as well it starts to paint a picture that makes more sense :)

• 4 months later...

Hi all great read, r33 gtst - anyone had clearance issues with wheels 356mm kit 18" wheels tried spacers still no good might hav to get wheels machined a little, tried two sets of wheels speedy inferno 18x8, and ROH drift R 18x8.

cheers skuzzas

Just re-reading the above, i cant believe how brakes can bag you 3 seconds, especially around a track like Wakefield. I mean think about a car that is 3 seconds slower at the drags and the distance between them when they are travelling over 150km/h. I cant see any brake upgrade allowing you to pull that sort of time difference from simply slowing the car a few meters deeper under brakes

In particular rims with "dish" just won't clear good brakes

The problem with Drift Rs is that they have "cheater dish" - where the end of the spoke curves in before contacting the barrel. It's the only way high offset wheels can get any lip at all.

Roy, I believe the tyres would have had a huge impact on the time.

Brakes to improve your time as long as you use them correctly and get on the gas quicker. Your lap times will slow if you are heavy on the brakes and hard on the acceleration because the distance you are covering at speed is reduced dramatically compared to a proper entry and exit with a constantly increasing throttle.

I agree regarding tyres, but i have simply read too many articles and have fiddled with enough brake setups to confidently say that the difference is on the 4th lap when you simply have too much car for the std brakes and everything is getting toasty hot

The only major improvement i think you see with bigger brakes is consistancy. SO a 3 seconds over a number of laps i can easily believe. Over a single lap, being your best lap of the day.... well i am just still a little sceptical of such claims.

Suspension setup and tyres play a bigger role in stopping distances then the caliper/rotor arrangement. There are many back to back tests that show stopping distance improvements of less then a car length from std equip using good pads and fluid compared to big dollar Brembo/AP/Alcon setups. Where the big setups help is that they operate at lower temps so are more consistant

• 4 months later...
I've run the 365 brakes under 17" rims without spacers, so it is the design of the rims that matter not the diameter.

In particular rims with "dish" just won't clear good brakes

Any idea if they will be able to be run with 33 gtr wheels + spacers? Or am i better of getting the 330mm g4 set-up? :down:

cheers

Grab the 356mm setup and if your 17's dont fir then get some TE37 or something that have better brake clearance

So your saying go for the 356mm set-up, the 330mm doesn't really add up as an effective upgrade? I was hoping to not upgrade the wheels, everything adds up so violently.. motor, turbo, fuel set-up :D the wallet.

Going to measure the diameter of the wheel today, hopefully that's all Il need a 20-30mm spacer should stop it from hitting the spokes (as it's not a dished rim the spokes are set out more to the outer edge of the wheel), will report my finding

In the grand scheme of things the 330 and 356mm setups are pretty similar in price. And considering you have a big heavy GTR with plenty of grunt i think you are really better served with the 356, especially since there is a range of 17" wheels that will swallow them. Just need to flog off your current wheels to help fund the better 17" wheels.