SAU Community

Hks 2530' Or Hks Gt-rs

This seems to be a common myth

I switched from GT-SS's on a 2.6 to GT-RS's and im very happy with them.

IMHO with a tuner that knows how to set them up for street, they can be a very good package - Sure they are larger and therefore lagier than GT-SS's, but CRD did a great job optimizing my car for street performance with my existing 260 degree poncams and the GT-RS's on a built 2.6 bottom end.

I use the same tuner and found the torque curve moved 1000rpm up the rev range for very little gain...not an ideal set-up for a street car in my opinion.

All im saying is that the 2530's will do a better job everywhere else on the torque curve and almost everywhere else on the power curve (except a little bit less top end)

Although not every engine/car will perform the same

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI andz69 - since you seem to be going to a similar path to what I ventured I'll give you a quick run down on what I did.

Car as yours is now pretty much - 255rwkw's @ 15psi (your running 17psi for your current power)

Then I added Nismo AFM's, Sard 720cc injectors and 2530's - made 325rwkws' @ 19psi

The added some 260/260-9.15 poncams and made 332rwkw's @ 19psi - but heaps more midrange.

But then the stock engine started getting REALLY tired as will happen when you start to push over 320 on a stock engine.

Built the engine with forgies and pumped out 360odd rwkw's @ 24psi

Is that kind of what you are looking for? If so - go the 2530's and you'll be a happy man.

Oh - and if you want some 260 poncams to suit the R34 head mine are coming out next week as they aren't needed for the smaller turbo's I've got now so let me know.

learned something new

a very constructive reply, thanks

i'll keep a note of that, 2530s are popular in the 'RB26 forced induction' for a reason

We made 404kw at all four on pump with them and 448kw on c16 (2530's)

they were a bloody great little turbo...i take my hat off to them

p.s. they are now in sav man's car

My vote for a 2.6 litre (regardless of internals) is 2530's. RS's are too big for standard capacity, too laggy, no more power than 2530's on that size engine.

:blink: cheers :huh:

My vote for a 2.6 litre (regardless of internals) is 2530's. RS's are too big for standard capacity, too laggy, no more power than 2530's on that size engine.

:blink: cheers :huh:

must be an echo in here...lol

yeah we went back to back against the 2530's and struggled to make 10-15 kw more actually i think the max was 13kw revving it to 9200 instead of 8200.

i did have a look at the SS, but they're not much of an upgrade from the stock turbos, thats why i tend to lean towards the 2530s and the RS'

Umm nismo AFMs?...arent these 80mm?

my pods are for standard 76mm AFMs, do they come with adaptors?, nice to hear, i'll have a look at them.

Thanks beer

nismo AFMS are 60mm same as standard. they just have a VG30 sensor, inside a RB26 size body.

the garret 2860-5 are the go mate i got them on my gtr and i love them they make 346klw on 20psi i got cam gears z32 afm and injectors+ 044 in the tank they make full boost at 4200rpm

nismo AFMS are 60mm same as standard. they just have a VG30 sensor, inside a RB26 size body.

yah just had a look at them;

Features

- Designed as RB26 upgrade for easy installation

- Identical shape/size as genuine RB26 AFM

Performance

- RB26 Standard AFM (twin) - 1400Kg/H - Max 450ps

- Nismo AFM (twin) - 2400Kg/H - Max 775PS

Thanks everyone for the positive replies...esp snowman, seems like im following the same path as you are

im going to go for the HKS 2530's with HKS Heavy Duty Actuators

Where can i buy these turbos in Australia?, nengun has them @ a good price, but then i'd get hit with aus duty & tax

Andy

This seems to be a common myth

I switched from GT-SS's on a 2.6 to GT-RS's and im very happy with them.

IMHO with a tuner that knows how to set them up for street, they can be a very good package - Sure they are larger and therefore lagier than GT-SS's, but CRD did a great job optimizing my car for street performance with my existing 260 degree poncams and the GT-RS's on a built 2.6 bottom end.

Yeah but you dont mind the lag, you'd kinda have to with GT-RS on a 2.6ltr :P

I've seen your results in detail, and personally not for me for a streeter.

The results are great, no doubt about it. But nothing that a 2530 couldnt do with more response.

What makes one person happy, isnt right for someone else though. :(

Personally - im with Snowman

Garrett make a set of turbo's the same as the GT2530's (2860-5 i think), they might be easier and cheaper to source in Aus if you don't want to run the tax risk.

does anyone have any evidence that the 2530s are better than the 2860-5s (or even the opposite?) I mean they are pretty much the same thing, but lately people have been telling me the garrets are better. Now being a brand wanker it hurts me as I want the HKS ones, but if the garrets really are better then I will have to get them (common sense).

I have run both

both turbos had Identical response

2530's made 380rwkw@24psi SS manifolds

2860R-5 made 361rwkw@27psi standard manifolds

putting the SS manifolds back on soon. Had to run 6 degree's less timing with the 2860R-5 and std manifold setup.

let me know if u want a dyno graph.

Edited by BOOSTD

does anyone have any evidence that the 2530s are better than the 2860-5s (or even the opposite?) I mean they are pretty much the same thing, but lately people have been telling me the garrets are better. Now being a brand wanker it hurts me as I want the HKS ones, but if the garrets really are better then I will have to get them (common sense).

Well, all I can tell you is the specs suggest they are the same. And (finally) I have seen both on the dining room table in the flesh next to one another and they look idientical as far as I can see. The only real difference (which may make some difference) is the casting quality of the HKS seems nicer and cleaner. Less 'dags' on the inside casting and just generally smoother. Perhaps the inside snail is better shaped?? I don't know on that, but all other things looked and measured identically.

NB. This was done on a stock standard dining room table. Results may differ in the kitchen or some fancy-schmancy dining room table.

Yeah but you dont mind the lag, you'd kinda have to with GT-RS on a 2.6ltr >_<

I've seen your results in detail, and personally not for me for a streeter.

The results are great, no doubt about it. But nothing that a 2530 couldnt do with more response.

What makes one person happy, isnt right for someone else though. :(

Personally - im with Snowman

Agreed, though the reason I went RS's was I had a new set of them and a new set of SS's available to me, after damaging one of my other SS's and while I loved their response I wanted more top end so I took the plunge and went for the larger option :)

As far as how they work, I know a number of people with the 2860 -5, and they seem to feel they work exactly the same as the HKS 2530s. The only possible difference is that the HKS may spool up a bit faster due to superior design and components internal wise.

-Sayajin

Edited by Sayajin

ok, HKS2530 and 2860/2560R spool identical (dyno lines covered each other)

the garrett has a .5mm smaller compressor wheel and different trim.

The HKS exhaust housing is very different to the Garrett. I very much doubt they are the same A/R as the garretts. You can fit two fingures into the garrett and three into the HKS. Compressor cover looks similar....only smoothed in the inlet as far as I can tell.

Hello all......2530's for street.....unless you can drive at 250km's an hour....then I would suggest the gt-rs...lol

Most fine tuners in japan use HKS2530's or GT2860R-5 garrett......garrett make the 2530's........

It is all in the tune......plus cams go along way........

I run 2530's...with poncams260 I have a large list of modes you will need if you want the whole thing purring nicely.

Look up on RB26 modification sticky.........I am happy with my set up although my suspension needs to be a bit softer...these roads in Melbourne stink.

Anyway..if you were in Melbourne I would have taken you for a quick spin........

My choices were like yours......but 2530's/.-5 Garretts was my decision and I do alot of research before I choose anything.

yes marco..twin

thanks for the reply sewid & snowman <3

btw, have u sold ur GTR yet snowman?

Do you find having twin pod filters helps much? What do you think would be the increase in power/turbo psi compared to a single pod and/or stock setup? Better breathing I'm guessing...

Hello all......2530's for street.....unless you can drive at 250km's an hour....then I would suggest the gt-rs...lol

Most fine tuners in japan use HKS2530's or GT2860R-5 garrett......garrett make the 2530's........

It is all in the tune......plus cams go along way........

I run 2530's...with poncams260 I have a large list of modes you will need if you want the whole thing purring nicely.

Look up on RB26 modification sticky.........I am happy with my set up although my suspension needs to be a bit softer...these roads in Melbourne stink.

Anyway..if you were in Melbourne I would have taken you for a quick spin........

My choices were like yours......but 2530's/.-5 Garretts was my decision and I do alot of research before I choose anything.

Which of Japans fine tuners use Garrett GT2860R -5's? :rant: I have never seen any tuner/workshop in Japan using them

Do you find having twin pod filters helps much? What do you think would be the increase in power/turbo psi compared to a single pod and/or stock setup? Better breathing I'm guessing...

all GTRs run twin pods mate. twin airflow meters and twin turbos means twin pods, or stock airbox is the only option.