SAU Community

To Modify Or Not? Is It Really Worth It

I'm not going nuts on the modifying but I also am not thinking about how "worthwhile" it is. I want the go to go faster and be more fun to drive, cool. I'm prepared to spend the money to put an RB25 and anything else I feel is warranted to make it go faster. It is a personal preference thing, I am not planning on selling the car anytime soon and will not be expecting to get back any of the money I have spent on modifying when the time comes to sell (not that I think that time will ever come :thumbsup:).

Basically, if you want it and you can afford it, do it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth it, even though coughing up money for overpriced parts is hard.

Modifying it yourself is half the fun providing you have the tools and knowledge to do it. So I figure as long as I do my research and take my time nothing will go wrong.

Best option below for modifying an r33 gts-t without going over the top ie. after market manifolds, forged pistons etc.

Standard hi-flow turbo at about 18psi

Injectors

Z32 afm

Bosch 040 fuel pump

PFC + good tune

AVC-R

Chinese Intercooler kit

Cushion Button clutch

Water Injection

Adj cam gear

This combo should see 250rwkW with reasonable response, excellent top end and good reliability for daily driving without being a pig. With labour done by yourself you should have change from $5000.

lol ur scared of miss fires and knocking.. well a STD sidemount im sure will incur more knocking than a FMIC due to the higher intake temps.

if ur soo concerned why dnt u just buy supporting mods, split dump, gauges, FMIC, CAI, steel wheel turbo, splitfires.u own a R33 GTST ur gonna get knocks and rattles and everything. forget about having a smooth life with the car.

For me, its not a waste. There will be no petrol in 50 years, so i figure i might as well do it now.

Plus i dont have kids, i am not married (but i have a steady girl who is constantly reminding me that i should be wastin money on her instead), i dont have a house to pay off.

Half the fun is doing the work on the car yourself.

Then there is scrimping and saving like crazy to be the bits and pieces you want. The arguements with the girlfriend about not taking her to the movies.

Is it worth it?

I will let ya know when i eventually get into the 12's :thumbsup:

i bought my gtr for 22k and have now spent another 12k its not going yet so i cant say if its worth it or not,time will tell

Hey Kane. Don't give up on it.

From memory your planned mods are very similar to mine. Mines back on the road and running 350rwhp (tuned on a hungry dyno - supposedly) at only 0.85 bar (due to my cock up on the boost controller - soon to be rectified).

Big

once your bitten by the modify bug there is no turning back....u live, breath, eat modifying ur car......its worse then a drug addiction....addicted to a car that I can drive around legally....

addicted to a car that I can drive around legally....

...until a cop says "hey pop your bonnet"

Edited by benm

The fact that you already bought the car tells me your hooked.So too late.It`s mans destiny to push it til it breaks.To be honest,I should have stopped at full exhaust.

cooler.

pump.

unichip.

boost controller.

They were happy days.

^ but the actual modifying, choosing your own parts, saving up etc. is half the fun imo :laugh:

I get a kick everytime i get something new :stupid:

Edited by Yawn

Ive got a bone stock R33 skyline with only a 3 inch turbo back exhaust which is running pretty well :) The thing is i have collected some parts to modify my car (ebc,fuel pump, fmic etc). Im going through this site and the amount of threads of people who have lighly modified there cars and have had problems is frightening. Missfires and knocking problems. Im starting to think is it worth it??

Yes! :wub:

it might not seem worth it when u get pulled up by the cops....

it might not be worth when the missus breaks your balls....or mum asks why your car is so damn loud on idle

but when u open it up, brake hard going into a corner and sit flat through the apex...

damn, nothing is better.

it might not seem worth it when u get pulled up by the cops....

it might not be worth when the missus breaks your balls....or mum asks why your car is so damn loud on idle

but when u open it up, brake hard going into a corner and sit flat through the apex...

damn, nothing is better.

damn man...i just felt funny all over

no one mods their car to up the value, we enthusiasts to it because we enjoy it like a hobby. its unfortunately that by doing it, the cars value depreciates.

but since u already have the stuff, why not just put em on?

Im going to use this thread as an example. Ill just give my friends the link to this thread whenever they go, wtf you spending so much money on your car for? Its not responsible ay...

What has been said is correct, you already bought a skyline so you obviously want to be able to have a quicker car then normal, you already have some parts to so put em on it, you wont get the money back on the parts anyway.

advice im on my 2nd series 2, bought my first series 2 stock with just the kit exhaust, then i went fuel pump, fmic, ebc, pod went good can definately feel the power, sold that and bought one that is already done mods wise, makes the power i want and is a bucket load of fun. if you want to go with a good upgrade, stick to wat you have and put them things on it and leave it, it does become expensive after you get the bug bad.

" You never get your money back "