SAU Community

Whats it really cost to go racing

robbo_rb180

So with a lot of discussion happening in a build thread, I thought I would start a fresh thread so not spamming that build thread.

Whats it really cost to go racing???

I'll be very open and blunt from the start and will share my running costs this year. I have tracked every dollar I've spent this year down to the fuel costs for towing. I am only listing the events that I pay to enter as my job as an instructor and staff at events allows me to run the car for a few laps every once in a while.

This year I am running in the https://timeattack.com.au/ QR and Super Series in Club Spec class 3 and King of QR in my 180sx. 

I am currently leading both but am against a90 supra's, maloo and mustangs. 
My only goals were to holy grail the tracks and run every round so pretty stoked with current results but the maloo which is quicker has missed rounds.

Here is my current state of spend not including tow fuel, food or snacks. No performance mods have been done this year and is all just running/maintenance costs. I had a predicted budget of $8600 originally which included running at Mt Morgan Hillclimb that was cancelled.
180sx2023expensessofar.thumb.JPG.75a317748180c0060a92353048379928.JPG
Car will need the following straight after the next round:
Tyres
Run on the dyno to solve a boost issue

This is all leading to potentially running at WTAC or Challenge Bathurst next year. So far my rough budgeting is around $12K for each of those events and still need to add the costs of finishing my new car too. This is at least another 40K minimum depending on what engine, gearbox, ecu & sensors and aero setup.
20230719_105743.thumb.jpg.6f7ff578c5f0623525259c263069a580.jpg20230719_105449.thumb.jpg.c43327413b2d00f3e730229c21f77e6c.jpg

Seeing the costs so far I am not surprised why a lot of people struggle to go to multiple events at this level. 
I also have a lot of background support which is never discussed from my wife, friends and business'. I am fortunate enough to also have driver coaching at no cost which can add upto thousands for the help I get. This I have found is the key to doing well and recommend to everyone who is slightest bit serious in doing well.

At the end of the day I enjoy it but if I was going to go all out and chase trophies this would be unfeasible as there's always someone with a bigger budget and faster car.

Discuss away

• Like 3

Without you offering real numbers, I would have said the flippant answer was, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". Which is still probably true anyway. I'm sure some people, who after budgeting $X found that they were actually costing $1.5X to $2X, might decide that they can't afford it. ie, ask the question and discover the flippant answer.

I think your numbers look really good, as in, surprisingly low, given what you're doing. I think at least part of the reason for that, though, is that there's a lot of sunk cost in getting the car and other supplies and equipment and driver development, etc, to the point you were at at the beginning of this season. The true cost is somewhat hidden by only looking at the year's operating cost.

I realise that the year's operating cost is the actual cost for this year's racing. ie, if you didn't do any racing this year you could be up by that amount of $. But in order to be able to even think about doing this year's racing, you have a long tail of previous expenditure on your books.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Without you offering real numbers, I would have said the flippant answer was, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". Which is still probably true anyway. I'm sure some people, who after budgeting $X found that they were actually costing $1.5X to $2X, might decide that they can't afford it. ie, ask the question and discover the flippant answer.

I think your numbers look really good, as in, surprisingly low, given what you're doing. I think at least part of the reason for that, though, is that there's a lot of sunk cost in getting the car and other supplies and equipment and driver development, etc, to the point you were at at the beginning of this season. The true cost is somewhat hidden by only looking at the year's operating cost.

I realise that the year's operating cost is the actual cost for this year's racing. ie, if you didn't do any racing this year you could be up by that amount of $. But in order to be able to even think about doing this year's racing, you have a long tail of previous expenditure on your books.

Yeah car cost and tool/equipment investment is one cost I haven't listed but can say the car itself is around $34k PLUS my time as the only thing I haven't done myself is the run in tune and build this motor. Can add the sil80 cost in there too...... 

Back when I first got into motorsport more around 2012/2013 I was lucky to do maybe 4-5 club events of either sprints or drifting a year at around $500-600 for a day out. Which is still cheap in my eyes. 2018 is when I think it started to ramp up as I finally had the time to do more. Can also add the 3 Targa GBR events too as a Navigator, those cost a lot. Last year Targa Tas was going to cost $30k to have a good go at it.

The other costs that could be added are tow vehicle and trailer, my sim setup (revision 3 in 10 years) so easy another 65-70K. Shed build too which is way over initial budget.

I'll probably at the end of the year do a per lap cost too as that too me is a number which will be interesting. Especially since time attack is all about 1 lap pace.

More so wanting info for others out there to see what the cost really is, instead of what if or I heard this amount. 

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, fatz said:

lol just don’t count it

much happier

eg challenge Bathurst is about $50 a minute all expenses included 

Lol, sort of wish I didn't some days but its great for planning.

Thats not too bad, How was this years event? Hopefully be there next year.