SAU Community

Buying A Stagea

AAA34T

nothing I would class as common. But do a search on the stagea section of the forums and you should come across all the information you will ever need

There is a buyers guide Stickyed up the top I think.

My tip... look out for rust behind the door mirrors.

what is your petrol economy like how many l/100km i am going to be driving it every day to run a mobile service

what is your petrol economy like how many l/100km i am going to be driving it every day to run a mobile service

Use the SEARCH button. I have and this is what i've come across.

Driven carefully i.e. off boost most of the time with engine running well-

Around town 14-15l/100km

Highway 10-11l/100km

theres a a VERY DERIOUS common fault with all the stageas' om Oz!!

The faults lays with the OWNERS ADDICTIONS to mod the stagea to go even faster!!! :stupid:

There is a buyers guide Stickyed up the top I think.

My tip... look out for rust behind the door mirrors.

haha and what should he do when he finds it? because its pretty definite he will.. :stupid:

Haven't seen a stagea without the TINY spot of rust behind the passenger mirror. Not a big deal at all - just something to be aware of. So saying I still haven't done anything about mine, after 1 year of owning it...

it shouldn't put you off buying one. Stageas are VERY reliable as you can tell by the lack of requests for help fixing problems on this forum. Most "help me" threads are self-inflicted in some way, and by that I mean that very few problems would relate to a stock stagea :laugh:

Edited by pixel8r

Well, that's what i meant :P

Just be aware that the rust there is a common problem.

What can actually be done about the rust if any? Is there some kind of treatment that doesn't cost an arm an a leg?

I got mine removed and resprayed when the bodykit was done. I belioeve that would be the best way to do it. And sometimes that patch of rust can be bigger than you think, pull the mirror off and have a look first. Not in all cases but in some it can spread.

Defiantly get a compression and leak down test if you can, it'll show you how the actual motor is faring after 8-10yrs of use.

Basically same things as a skyline, if you can looks for shaft play in the turbo as well.

You can buy bottles of rust inhibator from hardware stores.

If you are after a quick fix for the rust problem, you could just brush this on under the mirror and inside the door. Then when it's dry, put a layer of paint over it.

Should stop the growth of the rust spot for a few years

You can buy bottles of rust inhibator from hardware stores.

If you are after a quick fix for the rust problem, you could just brush this on under the mirror and inside the door. Then when it's dry, put a layer of paint over it.

Should stop the growth of the rust spot for a few years

cheers, thanks for the info!

its been on my "todo" list since I got the car (um...about 14 months ago) - really need to get onto it...

• 2 years later...
cheers, thanks for the info!

its been on my "todo" list since I got the car (um...about 14 months ago) - really need to get onto it...

I let mine go and the rust spot turned into bubbling paint about an inch under the mirrors. After purchasing, rust proofing and installing two doors my advice is don't wait. Do it now.

I let mine go and the rust spot turned into bubbling paint about an inch under the mirrors. After purchasing, rust proofing and installing two doors my advice is don't wait. Do it now.

get the struts towers checked out also.

check under the boot seal too,stageas love to rust there also a couple of guys have had trouble with rust under the roof racks. i hit mine pretty hard with a four inch grinder then rust converter until its all changed colour ,then paint it. Also the electric mirrors can be problematic once they get older but its just a case of pulling them apart and cleaning them up a bit.

You can't fix the rust under the mirrors problem from the outside. There is a good tutorial on pulling off the door cards and pulling out the bit of foam that soaks up water and either replacing it with something water resistant or drying it out and waterproofing it.