SAU Community

Stretching Tyres

howdie all,

just wondering weather or not stretching 235mm tyres onto a 255mm rim is safe and easy?

have spoken to a few places and they seem to think thats the way to go. Also, whats a fairly decent tyre i should look for, any particular brands and types?

any help would be much appreciated!!!

cheers.

If by 255mm rim you mean there there is a 255 tyre on there now and it sits flush, then 235 will fit on there pretty easily (assuming 17s or 18s, the larger sizes might start struggling a little with the smaller sidewalls)

As for brands, look here.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=72923

i run a 215, up to a 235 on a 9 inch rim

and i know that a 255 would sit perfectly as well, so definently will it fit and be safe

should be no dramas i used to run a 245mm tyre on a 305mm rim just for shits and giggles.

post-34927-1180659991_thumb.jpg

Edited by URAS

reduced safety is the main difference between stretching a sidewall and doing it properly.

What size is the rim you want to fit it on? there are industry standards about widths and tyre manufacturers also publish recommended rim sizes

There is a heap of info in the "what tyres have you used" thread in this section - I guess it depends on your needs and price range.

reduced safety is the main difference between stretching a sidewall and doing it properly.

[/qoute]

In many cases stretching is doing it properly, and 99% never has any effect on safety. Maybe the safety of your rim against gutters.. haha

In many cases stretching is doing it properly, and 99% never has any effect on safety. Maybe the safety of your rim against gutters.. haha

not picking a fight, but where is your evidence?

admittedly you could say the same for the recommended fitting tyres to rim widths (in terms of evidence) but I'm much more willing to believe a tyre manufacturer as a guide to rim fitments, against a fully sick drifter dude...

Massive stretch is retarded, it doesn't even look good. I fail to see the purpose of it, you want some sidewall flex otherwise its just too unpredictable. Unless you drift non stop then the correct tyre size is going to perform better.

it looks HEKTIK ULEH.........but kinda retarded at the same time.

i wouldnt do it to my tyres.

on the flip side, how about slighty oversized tyres on smaller rims.

ive got 265's on the rear. they fit nice. i was thinking maybe going with 285's next.

whats the effect on sidewalls etc ?

Edited by Munkyb0y

admittedly you could say the same for the recommended fitting tyres to rim widths (in terms of evidence) but I'm much more willing to believe a tyre manufacturer as a guide to rim fitments, against a fully sick drifter dude...

I base it purely on my experience (in real life) where I have never had a single problem with tyres magically exploding or debeading running 215/45 on 9J. I can pretty safely say that I have gone through more tyres in the last two years than most people on here.

I have even broken a wheel running a 215/40 on a 9J and the tyre did not deflate. I smashed a 215/45 on a 9J into a gutter destroying the wheel and again the tyre did not deflate or debead. The only time I have had a problem with leaking was when I pinched the bead because I suck at fitting tyres. Actually now that I think about it, the rear wheel/tyre setup on the picture in my avatar is 215/45 on 9.5J, again, no problems.

One thing that I do understand people getting upset about, is beading the tyre.

Often people will exceed the recommended beading pressure either using an chemical explosion or a very high pressure air tank.

If you use a bicycle tube while beading the tyre it is possible to bead the tyre using around 50psi if the stretch is not too crazy.

One other way if you are going for crazy stretch is to stretch the tyre on a less-wide wheel to pre-stretch it so you can put it on your really wide wheel later.

Also the wheels you are using make a huge difference. The best wheels I have seen for stretching tyres are Work VS-KF, they bead so easily.

So basically, I have nothing more to go on than the evidence of what I have seen and experienced in real life. Which I realise can be confusing for many people on internet.

edit: I do of course realise that as someone who has been known to partake of the occasional drift, my credibility is through the floor as far as SAU goes :domokun:

Edited by Laurence

Massive stretch is retarded, it doesn't even look good. I fail to see the purpose of it, you want some sidewall flex otherwise its just too unpredictable. Unless you drift non stop then the correct tyre size is going to perform better.

I 100% agree that massive stretch is retarded as i even posted i did it (245" on 12 or 13" rims )for autosalon 5 years back for shits and giggles.

We work very closely with TOYO and tyre size guidelines are to stop mororns from fitting tyres up wrong and claiming damages and are for common applications.... as with anything there is always improvements to be made above and beyond the posted guidelines. It is much like wheel alignments, manufactures have guidlines but after that every thing is subsective.

In my post post i should have put also that if it is done properly has ZERO effect on safety instead of saying that in 99% of cases (1% retarded) but yeah read it as you wish.

In our application the steering feedback from stretched 235 R888's on a 9.5" rim is far better than the 9" rim limit that most tyre shops will fit it up too....

Edited by URAS

oh and wasn't having a go at drifters either.

just saying that recommended fitments are there for a reason

cheers lads

haha dont stress grip is good :D

why not hey :P

stretching tyres makes them MORE predictable, not less, then having wider tyres on there, simply because there is next to no sidewall flex. Fitting wide was tyres or narrow rims gives you the V8 bogan look of Bags on the rears... not too bad for drags but horrible for corners and sliding.

it gives better response from the tyre (more performance) I.e less flex in the sidewall etc etc

ask any decent tyre place they will tell you but it does depend on what you are doing with your car if it suits you unless you are just going for the look

rant over :P

why....

So you can have wheel fitment like this...

Urashood008.jpg

Spending thousands of dollars on making a pure performance machine that wins $5 trophies that nobody cares about is equally stupid, but just depends what floats your boat.

Edited by Laurence