SAU Community

Plasma Or Lcd

SKYLVIA

Hey G-Units,

Im planning on getting a new TV, cause my big rear projection has crapped its colors.

Just wondering whats better to get, Plasma or LCD? Keep in mind id like to optimize my 360/PS3 experience.

I'd prefer as big as possible if the price is right, but ive had abit of a look around and it seems Plasma 40"-42" with 1080p (i have no idea what 1080p is, but apparently PS3 is great with it) goes for about $2000-$3000. it seems LCD's are abit more expensive...

My budget is about $3000, maybe abit more... but not sure at the moment.

Any recommendations guys?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around easter time i did all my LCD / Plasma TV research

I bought a LCD

I was reconmend stay away for all the jap stuff with the factory 1 and 2 year warranty

Buy German with 5 year replacement warranty

e.g Lowe , Grundig , Schaub Lorenz

I bought a Schaub Lorenz

STU

1080dpi - dots per inch

ie. high definition; its what is required to get full effect of bluray and your ps3/xbox360

Plasma causes burn ins if a static image is on screen for too long. Example; HUD(headsup display) during gaming health, ammo etc.

Plasma also loses brightness after X,xxx amount of hours as the gas depleats

LCD cant produce a deep/dark black as Plasma due to the light shining behind the pixels.

Although new LCD's are solving this problem. Saw commercial on tv

in my opinion;

Go the LCD, it costs more but its much more worth it.

Lot of info here;

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=lcd+vs+p...lient=firefox-a

- Patrick

can anyone recommend some brand models of 40"-42" LCD's?

ive had a look on dickies website, but theyve got alot of features that i have NFI what they do.

Maybe just recommend what you have in your home if you think its a pretty good setup, or just advise what other features i should look for when buying an LCD aside from the 1080p res...

We just bought a 52" Sony Bravia X series LCD. Its pretty awesome, heaps of inputs for comp, xbox etc. The picture is really crisp and colourful. The whole LCD can't produce black thing is a bit of bullshit I think. At the end of the day, if you can handle using a LCD monitor on a computer, then the transition to a LCD TV isn't that big of a stretch.

While i was looking in the shop, they had a couple of 40" models on display, I think they were around $3000. They looked sweet as, typical quality as you'd expect from sony.

A plasma with 1920x1080 res you will be looking above 5 grand. Definately go the sony bravia X series LCD if you can get the money. I Have a 46" X series, and i believe they are by far the best bang for buck. Looks great with my PS3 aswell man. Full 1080p is nuts, although theres not heaps of games for 1080 yet. So for PS3 purposes, try get 1080p. Go down to your local JB Hi-Fi if you have one. They always do good discounts and have awesome prices.

Just had a look for bravia, found this http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=23775

Is it any good? its pretty cheap for a 42" LCD...

that one is no good. old model and is not full HD. and it's a projection TV which are pretty poor, hence the cheap price. it's a cheap TV basically. like the new version of rear projection which i'm sure you know are far from optimal.

what you want is a 40inch sony x-series. should be able to score one for around $3600 if you shop around and bargain a bit. retail i think is around $4400, but most places currently have them at $4000. go to JB and tell them $3600 is all you have and you should be sweet.

I decided to go the LG for the simple fact that its got everything in one.

Built in Digital HDTV tuner and a 250GB HDD to record tv. Can rewind live television and all that sort of stuff.

I dont want to have to set up a HDTV Reciever, then a bloody Recorder. 3 remotes when you can just have 1 :P

http://au.lge.com/md/product/prodcategoryl...ctId=1100001120

Has all the features but is not Full HD. Ah well cant have it all :)

Edited by krzysiu

so what exactly is a HDTV tuner? does it just give normal TV in High Def?

also, if i were to buy a DVR HDTV would that means it would have a HDD to record live tv? or is it something completely different?

so what exactly is a HDTV tuner? does it just give normal TV in High Def?

also, if i were to buy a DVR HDTV would that means it would have a HDD to record live tv? or is it something completely different?

It if pretty much a digital set top box inbuilt so you can watch digital television. Most LCD TV you have to buy the box separately to get the most of watching normal TV in HDTV on it.

What the DVR is the LG model with a built in HDD. All it does is record TV, so you don't need a DVD recorder or a VCR. With these feature when you are watching TV live and you miss something, you can actually rewind it and see what you missed.

Their is No need to get a Expenisve Big brand name LCD, I have a bit of technical experience in this field. you dont have to spend $3000+ on a 42" LCD or Plasma. i went and bought one for my folks, their 42" lcd for under 2K, this inlcuded HD BOX, HDMI cable, and other accessories. it was a TCL, it displayed 1080i/p just as good as the pioneers and the Sony's and the german shit. i stood their with 4 other ppl, looking at the Demo models side by side. and could not even pick the slightest difference. Bluray movies and PS3 look just as immaculate on it.. Dont just buy whats the most expensive. do a bit of research and you can save a lot of money.

dude no one has mentioned samsung yet, but ive got a 40" lcd and it does the job for my ps3 and 360 pretty darn well. its a top quality set with a really bright picture and cause lcd ---> im not worrying about burning in any huds or crazy shit like that

i bought it awhile back so its a model than only goes up to 1080i (res setting just below 1080p) but you can get the new model now with full 1080p and 3 hdmi ports for around 3200 i think - jb should be able to do it for under 3k id say...

then again if you can afford the bravia - go for it cause ive heard nothing but good reports