SAU Community

Sr20det Compaired With Rb20det

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums and looking at buying a new car soon, have been looking at getting a 180sx with SR20DET now these are 4 cyl and as i've read on the net when stock have the same 1998cc as the 6 cyl RB20DET so is the 180sx' making the same hprw and 1/4 times as the r32 skylines?? and cheaper to run. Cause if so i'll prob go with a 180sx cause i like the look and will have a bit of power. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks guys

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try searching. This topic gets covered ad nauseum on Skyline and Silvia forums.

But, SR20DET > RB20DET. More midrange, lighter, and power potential. The only thing the RB does better is in the noise department.

And even if they make the same rwhp they won't run the same quarter, since the Silvia is a lighter car.

But there's a reason why CA18 equipped Silvias put SRs in them unless they can't afford anything other than an RB20.

The age old question ay....

Too many people discount the CA18det.....they can match most SR's and RB's for power when set up right.

but rb and sr are pretty similar....sr is lighter producing similar but tends to be lower down in the rev range, where as rb pull better top end. i prefer to drivability of an sr and like the sound and power curve on my r32. Parts for SR's are sometimes more expensive, as in engine upgrades, and they are less stable once you open them IMO. an rb 20 block has some of the thickest sidewalls but needs rev and fuel to get it going. it all comes down to personal opinon, but if you looking for a cheaper alternative, then get a 4 door import with either motor in. SR's are a more advanced engine with the rb's being old technology.

250 is rather big power man considering your sounding like a newish guy to the scene, both rb and sr would be almost a timebomb at those power levels, all depends on how lucky u got engine wise, i currently have 2 180's i prefer reliability over power i had 1 tuned making 180rwkw but car is fully stripped but this is still enough to hold 4th gear slides! other car is making 210... all depends what you really want the car for? on comparison i had a ca 180 making around 130rwkw and this was still quick enough to beat a 5.7 ss to 150kph

p.s both my 180's are for sale :)

i've had a rb20det vl turbo before and that was just a waste of time. But yea i'm gonna have a budget of 23k to get the 180sx to what i want 250kw but if u say its gonna blow up at any time with that power whats the point ?!? But shy s6 what 1/4 does ur 210kw make? But with 23k should i go for something else??

Edited by Rsktker

What are you looking for?

Raw power? Response? Top end power etc?

Why was the RB20 a waste of time?

In the end, they're both still 2L engines, both can make the same amount of power, they just deliver it differently.

A power figure isn't everything, just make sure it's tuned right

What are you looking for?

Raw power? Response? Top end power etc?

Why was the RB20 a waste of time?

In the end, they're both still 2L engines, both can make the same amount of power, they just deliver it differently.

A power figure isn't everything, just make sure it's tuned right

rb20det in VL waste cause too small for the car, but yea well if a SR20DET is gonna hold 200-250rwkw without blowing up on me and still be a good daily reliable car i will buy a 180. The main thing i'm after is Accelaration and torque and hopefully runs around 12secs, from what i've read thats the SR20DET, I just need it to be reliable

Edited by Rsktker

You arent going to make a reliable sr with 250rwkw without opening the engine.... mid 12's....take at look at the disco potato set up. stock engine, new tune and turbo...was running mid to low 12's i think.

Mr bro is pushing 230HP out of his stock sr engine, on 1 bar, and a chip and tune.

and i am pushing very close to that out of my stock rb, but my old turbo wont hold boost top end.

Rsktker: If you want it to be reliable on 250rwkw then just spend money right, 250rwkw is still pretty large out of the 4 cyc....and depends if you want it for response or what. there are so many ways to set up the engine.

but it is stupid to transfer an rb into a 180 unless you to put an rb25 into it and produce HP. sr is a lighter, newer technology engine, better torque curve then an rb i find.

there are plenty of reliable SR's running ~250rwkw on the GTRS or similiar sized turbos, have a search of some silvia related forums and see for yourself.

as mentioned though a disco potato will give you around 230rwkw, with plenty of downlow and mid range power, easily putting you in 12 sec quarter mile. its a very nice street turbo for an SR

HOw would an RB25DET go in a 180 i would have to upgrade everything else then yea, eg brakes, diff...would 23k be enough to get the conversion or is it just worth to buy a r33 skyline?

cheers guys all this is much appreciated

Mate, ffs do some research on this yourself. Theres a billion threads floating around on everything youre asking here.

SR20s will make 250kw, but they *generally* wont do so reliably. You may get luck and find one holds together for a reasonable period of time making that sort of power, you may find an SR will die making significantly less. Its just luck of the draw, and making that sort of power you are more likely to have it fail.

The RB20 vs SR20 debate has been covered I cant even remember how many times. SEARCH for it. Theyre different engines. Read up on the characteristics of each and decide for yourself.

You also need to actually think a little bit here. Saying 'oh I have 23k to spend on a 180 and want 200 - 250kw out of it' is stupid. No two ways about it.

First of all, what are you using this car for? Street? Strip? Drift? Track? A mix of a couple or all of those things? Thats going to help you determine the second thing you need to consider...

EXACTLY what do you want from the engine? '200 - 250kw' is NOT good enough. You need to be more specific or youll end up f**king around and spending far more than what you want to.

Do you want a very reliable package? Do you want a dyno queen pumping out a specific amount of power? How much response do you need? Are you willing to open up the engine to get your power goal?

The difference between 200 and 250kw is huge. Its simply too broad a target to say that you want about that sort of power and thats it.

Why dont you actually find someone with a 180 making around the 200kw mark (which isnt hard to do reliably, with good response, without opening the engine, and without spending a crazy amount), and see what you think, so at least you have SOME kind of knowledge as to what a 200kw SR in a 180 is like?

Point is it doesnt matter what sort of random numbers you have floating around in your head. Youre not going to get anywhere till you actually know what they translate to in practice.

Here is a top notch idea!

you have 23K?

GTR

25DET Skyline

GTiR

EVO

etc...

I realise this does nto answere the question. But why bother spending time and effort and taking the risk of modding a car to 250kw when you do it FAR easier in one of those cars within the budget and without the massive black hole of "what if something poops itself?". Its a far safer bet modding a GTR (which is a far better car than both mentioned cars (IMO) to reach 250kw.

Thats my 2c

btw.. I agree.. RB20DET is a bit of a waste..not really worth ur time when for your effort, time, money and for bang for ur buck.. 25det

I realise this.. but its much easier to extract power out of the GTiR SR than a 180 SR.

And for the price range. Id much rather a GTiR than a 180. Although, that depends on what Rsktker wants to do with his vehicle. So what do you want to do with the car? Tell us that.. and we can direct you as much as possible toward which car will best suite your needs