SAU Community

Sr20det Compaired With Rb20det

I'm a bit off topic here, but what the hell...

2 years ago i ditched the rb20 for a 25 and was a very happy boy. Admittedly my rb20 was shagged.

There are only 2 rb20's i know of that make me wonder if i made the right decision. Roy's with his stock bottom end and 260 odd rwkw and Legend01's built 2.1L with 300 plus and silly good response/midrange considering the size of the turbo.

Back on topic, get the car you like. If you like r32's or cef's then there are people out there doing pretty good things with rb20's, or you could go a 25det conversion. If you like 180's, then don't, whatever you do, put an rb in it. I hang around with way too many s chassis owners and i can tell you that up to 230rwkw on a stock bottom end sr is easily acheivable and a hell of a lot of fun with excellent midrange power and torque. If you buy the right car with the right mods on it to start with you will be able to do a hell of a lot with it before you spend your way through 23k

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanted to buy a car just to sound good then buy a cheap aussie V8 with a big exhaust.

Personally i buy cars to perform, not for the sound.

Was a joke :kiss: Just cant stand the sound of them.

If I was to buy a car on sound of a car would be a massive - cammed ls1, so you can see it hasnt influenced my decision :D Especially as I use to own an Ls1!

Whos to say teh SR is so great? weak rocker arms ... 4cyl motor...

they may be one hell of a good motor... but at the end of the day why diss the RB20???

it makes more power than an SR stock...

its more reliable... 6cyl meaning it can handle larger amounts of power alot better than the SR... so reliability wise id be choosing the RB ... in fact i did :kiss:

my RB is in the process for 300rwkw... in my 1via...

and best part of all $600 to replace a motor... swap mods across yourself... way better option IMO ...

Love the RB in my Sil...

But we really want to know where you can get a 300rwkw capable rb bottom end for $600 :D

You will laugh, provided you can get a turbo to do it and not rev over 7,500rpm i think the engine would take it. I have often thought about throwing away my 20G and going T67-25G. Just for shits and giggles, as im curious to see how it goes myself. My thinking is it would probably be ok. Look at Ad4m, he is a nutter, running 24psi through a std RB20 with the same turbo as me to make 282rwkws. Thats getting close to 300rwkws and he has been running flat 12 sec 1/4 mile times in a manual 4 dr R32.

So i dont think its the 300rwkws that will hurt the RB20 (std bottom end). Its the power delivery and the need to rev the thing to well over 8,000rpm to get a good power band. Much easier to put forged pistons in it and run 24psi on a smaller turbo, something like a GT30R or a TD06-20G will bag you between 280-300rwkws. Do the same thing on a std bottom end and you are likely to get plenty of fun out of the motor. But based on what i have seen i think that may be pushing too hard from a std motor. Time will tell, i plan on upping boost to 1.65bar when i get the new gearbox and suspension in. Will thrown it back on the dyno and see what power it makes with the extra 5psi. If it makes 285rwkws or thereabout then thats what i will run.

If it makes that power for 5-6 track days then that will make up my mind to just stick with the std RB20, just be happy with 20psi and 260-270rwkws :)

i gotta say i never bothered to reply to this gay thread...

...but i love the rb20? i don't get why everyone bags it out?

i see no problem with it, mine's an rb20de+T and it runs sweetly i wouldn't change it to an SR for the world somply cos i just think everyone nutrides the SR for no good reason!

Whos to say teh SR is so great? weak rocker arms ... 4cyl motor...

they may be one hell of a good motor... but at the end of the day why diss the RB20???

it makes more power than an SR stock...

its more reliable... 6cyl meaning it can handle larger amounts of power alot better than the SR... so reliability wise id be choosing the RB ... in fact i did :)

my RB is in the process for 300rwkw... in my 1via...

and best part of all $600 to replace a motor... swap mods across yourself... way better option IMO ...

Love the RB in my Sil...

Well we have what i would consider the perfect 300+rwkw onevia... super responsive... loves to rev....makes a super lazy 312rwkw on literally std wastegate pressure... big dollar suspension.... but it still sucks to fang round a track compared to the built SR that proceeded it, dont get me wrong the power is nice but the package is not, it is handicapped by the weight over the front wheels.

Remmeber this post is about whether a rb20 in a s series is a good idea... i cant think of one unless the car was CA18DE to start with.

RB20 is good....rb20+s series chassis= poo...

Remmeber this post is about whether a rb20 in a s series is a good idea... i cant think of one unless the car was CA18DE to start with.

RB20 is good....rb20+s series chassis= poo...

agreed^^ f.y.i the cars that my mates rb20 went up against had tomei cams,t28 steel wheel turbo's on close to 20psi some of them with power fc,z32 etc nizmo 740 injectors, << that was one particular car. my mates car has stock standard rb20, microtech ecu, r34 neo turbo on 16psi,fmic etc the usual stuff and made more power, lets get off the sr20 love boat for a secoend and realise that the rb20 can be a good thing..

Is starting or ending a sentence with 3 dots a new fad? Or does it strengthen an argument? Let me try ;) I feel the need to fit in...

Comparing stock to stock is irrelevant as the engine will have bolt ons...mod for mod is where it's at as dead 32 has indicated with his example...

Though i'm pretty certain cubes is right about the rb20 having higher peak torque (when stock)...

nah, the dots don't work for me. :)

Edited by BHDave

Is starting or ending a sentence with 3 dots a new fad? Or does it strengthen an argument?

the finer points of the english language elude you, do they not? :)

Is starting or ending a sentence with 3 dots a new fad? Or does it strengthen an argument? Let me try ;) I feel the need to fit in...

nah, the dots don't work for me. :)

:nyaanyaa:

Actually the reason is, because we are reading and not actually hearing another person talk, it simulates a person pausing for a moment during his sentence. This pausing can indicate the person is thinking during his sentence. Or alternatively, it can indicate an unfinished sentence.

This can be due to the person typing having either:

1. Further thoughts on the matter but not typing them.

2. Not knowing what else to say/type or is still thinking.

3. Leaving his sentence open to someone else to complete, or in other words, leaving a window open for the next person to continue on on the same thought.

Eg. Little Johnny yelled out to his father "But dad I......but I didn't.......I think I didn't.......maybe I did do it."

Or

"If Johnny did do it, maybe it was because he wanted to, and for no other reason..."

I hope that makes things easier to understand :domokun:

Ok kids that's our English lesson for today.

Anyway back on topic. SR20 vs RB20....:cheers:

Edited by KeyMaker

Actually, come to the SAU drad day at Heathcote next weekend (sat) and lets line them up. I dont care who is quickest, it will be fun to line up the cars and have a laugh at GTR owners munching gearboxes, R32 GTSt owners crying about nursing gearboxes and R33 owners complaining about wheelspin the whole track with only 180rwkws :D