SAU Community

Sr20det Compaired With Rb20det

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers guys after talking to a few people with 180s and silvias the majority say rb20 but my bad experiance with rb20 has thrown me off them so..gonna get a R33 Skyline with rb25 should be sweet and get power i'm after, anywayz thats why i joined skylines australia lol,

Thanks for your help guys appreciate it.

the most power i have seen out of a stock bottom end sr20 is 508hp. it is in my mates stanza. has run a best of 10.5 @ 137mph and it's still manual. but that is running on c16 race fuel. uses stock nissan head gasket though. revs to 9000rpm (doesn't come on boost till about 6000rpm). at a test and tune a few weeks back it lived up to the sr name and shat a rocker arm.

in his last car he had a stock sr20 in a mitsubishi sigma and ran a 12.56. it was running stock ecu, turbo at 16psi. the sigma weighed about the same as a silvia.

i have another mate with a built sr20. spent bucket loads of money on it and it makes 290kw. it has only run a best o 11.9 i think. he doesn't drive it much.

the rb20 may make 7kw more than the sr20 (only the skyline rb20, the cefiro rb20 makes the same power as a sr20) but it has less torque.

if you want 250kw in a 180 or a r32 you are best of throwing the motor away and putting a rb25 or 26 in it. it will cost you less than building a 2L with that sort of power and it will be 10 times more drivable.

it also comes down to what you want to do. if you want more of a drag car go a GTiR. the motor has more power (thanks to quad throttle bodies and a bigger turbo) than a 180, and 4wd so it will launchmuch harder. if you want to drift then take your pick of either skyline or 180. i would say choose between a r33 or 180. the r32 aren't much lighter than a 33 (about 5%) and have about 15% less power. the rb25 comes on boost much earlier (stock turbo will hit 14psi by under 3000rpm) so it is a bit better for everyday driving, and means that if you do upgrade the turbo it won't become as much of a lag monster.

bang for you bucks i dont think the rb25det is better then an rb20det.....20's are cheap as chips, dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with them but for mininal spending i think i could get a 32 going quicker then a 33.

it all depends on what you want it to do.

well the 33 is quicker straight out of the box than a 32. so any mod you do to a 32 is going to be the same as doing it to a 33, if not better ,so i don't think that is possible.

anything you do turbo wise to a 32 makes it more of a lag monster. the 32's are a bit laggy to start with, so a 33 with a big turbo is much more street use friendly than a 32 with a big turbo.

i have been in a 32 with a t71 on it. came on boost at 6000rpm. with a pfc and at 16psi it made 10hp more than my stock rb25.

cheers guys after talking to a few people with 180s and silvias the majority say rb20

You asked ns.com members, didn't you? Seriously, most of them are retards.

An RB20 is a only a better option if you want to sound faster than you go, or you can't afford to put an SR in.

You asked ns.com members, didn't you? Seriously, most of them are retards.

An RB20 is a only a better option if you want to sound faster than you go, or you can't afford to put an SR in.

NAh i ask VL turbo mates with mates with silvias and 180s.

my mates rb20 on less boost with no internals made more power then atleast 10 sr20 powered cars the other night, fmic r34 turbo,pod exhaust microtech and a good fuel set up... there aint nothing wroung with an rb20, so sick of all this hype about sr20's, yes they are very responsive and thats about it, will make less overall power std internals consistantly then any rb, p.s ofcourse an rb20 is gona go like shit with a t70 on it, that turbo is meant for a bigger capicity engine.

my mates rb20 on less boost with no internals made more power then atleast 10 sr20 powered cars the other night, fmic r34 turbo,pod exhaust microtech and a good fuel set up... there aint nothing wroung with an rb20, so sick of all this hype about sr20's, yes they are very responsive and thats about it, will make less overall power std internals consistantly then any rb,

So you're saying the RB20 makes a better dyno queen engine due to its higher peak power figure (I assume that's how you compared them "the other night"), but the SR is a more drivable engine due to its response.

Case closed.

Troy (Roy)'s RB20DET + TD06-20g 8cm Turbine kit works extremely well. 260rwkw on a stock rb20det. Definitely not a time bomb.

Its all in the tuning.

Philip Island.. Highspeed track, 4th gear high speed corners. :S

My opinion.. A well setup RB20DET makes a better track motor.

As for street.. Not exactly sure as I've never been in an S13 RB20DET or R32 SR20DET but from driving a mates S15 the sr20 did appear to spool its turbo nicely and provide awesome mid range but it was begging for you to change gear at 6000rpm. + they sound like shiet.. But thats subjective. :)

LOL... surely a ferw ppl saw this post coming :)

Its all pretty simple really. Front a car yard with your money and go for a drive in a few. Front a club meet and go for a few rides with ppl in their cars and getter an even better feel for which you like.

btw.. I agree.. RB20DET is a bit of a waste..not really worth ur time when for your effort, time, money and for bang for ur buck.. 25det
if you want 250kw in a 180 or a r32 you are best of throwing the motor away and putting a rb25 or 26 in it. it will cost you less than building a 2L with that sort of power and it will be 10 times more drivable.

It always makes me sigh when i hear ppl say the RB20s are crap. If an RB20 powered car sux then 99% of the time its because us lowly R32 GTSt owners dont do things properly. We throw old crappy unwanted turbos at out cars, we dont bother to run decent ecus and we never seem to spend the money needed to get them tuned by someone who actually knows what they are doing. I know of enough RB20 powered cars to know that if you give them the same love that sao many SR20 owners give their cars...you are guaranteed to get good results, results good enough to easily arm yourself for a debate that they are the equal to an SR20

I have compared this to a few SR20s running the same turbo setup, one of them even had cams and none of them have come to close. Over 3,800rpm the engine matches RB25s and RB26s making the same power....and its a std engine which has been reliable at boost levels up to 1.5bar and 8,5000rpm, but typucally 1.3bar and 8,300rpm

gallery_462_50_59282.jpg

So im not saying they are the greatest engine...just trying to get accross that they should not be dismissed as unreliable, fragile at 250rwkws or laggy boat engines :banana:

It always makes me sigh when i hear ppl say the RB20s are crap.

No they are great.... but not in a 180. Even the 26 in cats car is not worth the effort.... way to much weight over the front axle.

I remmember James from d1 garages RB20 cefiro std engine HKs 2535 240rwkw all day evry day for 4 years till he sold it.... unbreakable.

my mates rb20 on less boost with no internals made more power then atleast 10 sr20 powered cars the other night, fmic r34 turbo,pod exhaust microtech and a good fuel set up...

and what mods did the sr20's have? most were probably stock ecu, stock turbo and just running 15psi. i have a few mates with stock sr20's running around 185kw. they are an untouched motor. stock ecu, stock turbo, stock manifold. all they have is a turbo back exhaust and a fmic and more boost.

i'm not saying that the rb20 is a bad motor, i'm just saying it's not the best of the 2.

i'm not saying that the rb20 is a bad motor, i'm just saying it's not the best of the 2.

Thats exactly wat you were saying a few posts ago. And fair enough, if all you have ever seen is bad ones then its understandable. I have found when it comes to cars you have to be pretty objectionable, and it helps to look at big picture why smething may be perceived as good or bad. Put the R32 turbo on an SR20, with an RB20 gearbos and diff and throw it all in an R32 gTSt and tell me the result woudl be any different.