SAU Community

Is There A Market For Dr30rs Skylines?

kitamijin

Just a question I thought I'd put out to everyone, is there an interest for DR30 skylines in OZ? Ive seen a few on the net but there doesn't seem to be a huge following, is it because of the lack of cars here or is it because they are too hard to keep on the road becaue they are old and can't get parts?

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am thinking of bringing in a RS or RSX turbo.

Just a question I thought I'd put out to everyone, is there an interest for DR30 skylines in OZ? Ive seen a few on the net but there doesn't seem to be a huge following, is it because of the lack of cars here or is it because they are too hard to keep on the road becaue they are old and can't get parts?

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am thinking of bringing in a RS or RSX turbo.

Just about any real skyline fanatic knows and respects the DR30 they are real head turners.

I think the reason there arnt many geting around is because not enough people can be bothered importing them they just go and buy 32's and 33's and it is true that parts can be difficult to source.

Just about any real skyline fanatic knows and respects the DR30 they are real head turners.

I think the reason there arnt many geting around is because not enough people can be bothered importing them they just go and buy 32's and 33's and it is true that parts can be difficult to source.

i agree...

Dr30 means class and oldskool toughness to me, along with many other nissan enthusiasts

If you are importing one, make sure it has a FJ in it!

there has been alot of interest in the FJ24det, if you ever find that one from yahoo actions bring that over, you will have the best DR30 in the whole of aus then.... possibly the world

if you want to go really nus get a RB26det setup, and get it engineered...

can cost around the 15k mark , but would be SO worth it!

there's definitely a market for anything classic, Japanese and turbo these days. But I'd say now is not the time to be importing with the aim of selling straightaway, speaking from experience I'd personally wait a few years before putting anything on the market. Problem is separating the people who can afford to buy said vehicles from those who are just out to kick the tyres and be test pilots for the sake of saying they "drove a mean car boe".

I've had no trouble sourcing parts for my DR30s (except for the whole CAS rigmarole but let's assume that's a one off thing), HOWEVER anything unique has to come ex-Japan and it's rather expensive once shipping is added.

Yeah you'd wanna have someone lined up to buy it first. They are awesome cars but there is a very limited market for them. Like all nissans many bits can be interchangeable but some stuff can be tricky to find. Either way i love my DR30 and would never sell it.

Would be nice to see more gettin round. Love the old school jap.

depending on how quickly you would want to sell it, there will always be a market for them, a very small market...

parts are not hard to get but can be expensive for the rearer items iron mask head lights, but on par with most imported car items.

i've had my HR30 for near on 5 years now and i've only driven it about 5 times on the road, here on the gold coast there seems to be a strong skyline/ car following and i always got people stopping and asking questions..

Definitely a niche market.. I have been searching for a DR30 RSX for a while..... found a couple but in really poor condition (structually rusted out!)

I dont know what it is about these cars but they are just something special.

I used to own a HR30 Paul Newman, sold it and have owned some exotics since that time. However, after finding a nice DR30 last year I just had to have it! I have done a few things to it but have a couple to go but it is a car I love, turns head, is good fun for minimal investment.

I will be at the Skylines show and shine on July 1. Come and say hi. I will be the joker with the silver DR30 (DR30XX plates)

post-22767-1182406419_thumb.jpg

I've had my R30 for close to five years now and bought it in just about perfect condition for very, very cheap and was offered a bit over double what i paid a few weeks after buying it... So they're are a very sort after car but only by people who know what they are...

i don't think i'd ever sell mine unless some offered me a rediculous price for it :closedeyes:

and with a Ford GT Phase 3 selling for a tad over $500 000 down here in Melbourne at auction recently, rare or sort after cars can be a good investment in the long run....

I've had my R30 for close to five years now and bought it in just about perfect condition for very, very cheap and was offered a bit over double what i paid a few weeks after buying it... So they're are a very sort after car but only by people who know what they are...

i don't think i'd ever sell mine unless some offered me a rediculous price for it ;)

and with a Ford GT Phase 3 selling for a tad over $500 000 down here in Melbourne at auction recently, rare or sort after cars can be a good investment in the long run....

give it ten years and a mint condition DR30 could be sold back the the japanese for crasy amounts. the HR31 gts-r is one of those cars that unless you know what it is your not going to pay the $15000+ price tag...

*put up sexy pic of car*

Hey Ravenoak, that looks great. Original. Unmolested. Top stuff!

I took my DR to the last S 'n' S. Whilst I had a good day, I don't know that I will go again - the S'n'S crowd don't tend to appreciate a car like mine... :cheers:

• 1 month later...

still looks nice.

I intially wanted a DR for my first car, but there werent many forsale at the time, and what was forsale were absolute peices of garbage.

Ended up getting a datsun 1600, the old man rallied em for years, kinda grew on me...

Once I can get another garage spot,I'll look into getting a silver/grey over black ironmask DR30..

still looks nice.

I intially wanted a DR for my first car, but there werent many forsale at the time, and what was forsale were absolute peices of garbage.

Ended up getting a datsun 1600, the old man rallied em for years, kinda grew on me...

Once I can get another garage spot,I'll look into getting a silver/grey over black ironmask DR30..

check ya PM's wazdan!

Hey Ravenoak, that looks great. Original. Unmolested. Top stuff!

I took my DR to the last S 'n' S. Whilst I had a good day, I don't know that I will go again - the S'n'S crowd don't tend to appreciate a car like mine... :D

Yeah the old girl did well taking home Best Classic

post-22767-1186549487_thumb.jpg

post-22767-1186549712_thumb.jpg

The DR30 looks like its in mint condition. How long have you had it? I was going to go to the S'n'S but the original Sunday was washed out and when they planned the second one I had already left, overwise I would have come and said hello. There are a lot of nice DR30's in Japan and the sale prices are starting to go up now for the mint ones. You said that no-one was really interested in the older Skylines? I wonder why? I'm still weighing up whether to bring one in or not. I can buy one cheap enough but I'm looking at about $4000-$5000 to get it here, don't know if it's worth it or not.

The DR30 looks like its in mint condition. How long have you had it? I was going to go to the S'n'S but the original Sunday was washed out and when they planned the second one I had already left, overwise I would have come and said hello. There are a lot of nice DR30's in Japan and the sale prices are starting to go up now for the mint ones. You said that no-one was really interested in the older Skylines? I wonder why? I'm still weighing up whether to bring one in or not. I can buy one cheap enough but I'm looking at about $4000-$5000 to get it here, don't know if it's worth it or not.

I have had the car about a year now and have been tidying up a few little things (mainly interior). The main things I am still trying to finalise are getting a matching pair of front seats, respray the intake/cam cover manifold and retrim the boot. I am not going to do any mechanical mods except change the camber on the rear. The car has done 2000 kms in the last year of which 1000 kms was a trip down south so it is not getting a lot of work.

The car generated a lot of interest at the S n S and a few generous offers to buy it were forthcoming. The only reason I would sell it would be to get an Australian delivered R32 GTR but that is unlikely in the near future.

When i was looking at importing my HR31 a few DR30's came up, 3 of the 4 where race use only lol. The one that did pop up wasn't in the best condition and I needed a car to drive not to restore. If given the chance at owning one I would for sure. There r some horn looking DR30's out there. FJ20's I dont know much about but I read an article saying that the DR30 was just a small car with an overpowered engine. Never been in one. Drool everytime I see one which is alost never lol. If you can be bothered with the hassles of finding parts for it as I would pressume the parts are even harder to get than HR31 parts then go for it. Awesome looking cars. I think the RSX is the more rare of the DR30's...

Liam

Edited by FordyR31

Over here in Perth DR30's are very rare. I purchased one recently and am stoked with what I got, car has original 68000k's on the clock and has a few decent mods and has made 355rwhp on 19psi. Can't say I've seen another one in WA but have been told of at least 3 others. The FJ20et is an excellent powerplant with very strong internals, mine has standard rods and crank with forgies, cams, 550 injectors, FMIC and wolf ecu and is an absolute weapon that looks very unassuming. Like I said I'm stoked with the car and intend to hang onto it for a long while yet as the car is in outstanding overall condition.