SAU Community

Aero Aids, Do They Work? In Particular Gt Wings? Now You Know!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I might add a couple points to this discussion about rear wings & things.

1. The rear wing will feel as is it is producing more rear grip because in part it is, but also because it is degrading the front grip. The down force & the drag that the wing produces, respectively behind & above the rear axle line will induce an uplift on the front axle.

2. Front splitters & rear difusers only work well when they are located close to the ground. The difusers becoming fashionable on the new cars are mainly for show & also to lessen drag by cleaning up the undercar air flow.

3. Very few production cars can actually produce any downforce, let alone meaningful downforce. Check the V8 supercar figures if you don't believe me. For all the size of their wings the downforce produced is suprisingly small.

Read this again and then read GTRGeoffs posts :O

Undertrays clean up airflow, whic is a god thing. But they are too far away from the road surface to have any real ground effects liek you see on the Prodrice Astons GT cars and LM Vettes etc.

I want to know this.......

With that funky little device, your big fark orf wing AND some VORTEX GENERATORS,,,,,, What would the results be?

:)

a bit of fun..... the whole point the whole time. Remmeber we all drive 6-15 year old budget hand me downs :) (they aint supercars remmeber) that have very little hard core track work so all in all everything we do is for fun or for provoking a bit of thought process.... hardly worth taking too seriously... :D

Im sure even race drivers dont like their cars to be a threatening drive..

The most common thing you hear about when journos drive race cars is how "easy" they are to drive. But they're also driven in a far narrower range of environments than your average road car.

For example, most race pads are pretty ineffective when cold and DOT 6 brake fluid is hygroscopic. Hitting the brakes and having nothing, or having your brake pedal go mushy after a few weeks, there is pretty threatening. But since that situation pretty much never occurs when you're hammering it on the track and doing full fluid flushes after every event, its not relevant for a race-oriented car. Its just not an option for engineers on an OEM street car.

In the same way, if a race car never drops below the minimum required speed for the aero to actually work then that threatening, sudden, grip transition is moot.

Yeah there are definate benefits to not having to deal with road situations / less compromises.

But on set up / sudden loss of grip....they are also assuming that the driver is competent and can deal with sudden oversteer etc. You can set up the car nice and nervous if thats what the driver wants, eg I don't mind a tail that you can swing mid corner with a bit of throttle lift off :(

I tracked my road car for years before I got sick of the compromises and extra cost of a road car on the track - a dedicated track car is more fun and cheaper to run.

I don't mind a tail that you can swing mid corner with a bit of throttle lift off :D

:( or because you just dont have enough control in the suspension :P

I tracked my road car for years before I got sick of the compromises and extra cost of a road car on the track - a dedicated track car is more fun and cheaper to run.

Extra cost...yeh sux. But the compromise is the appeal me tracking my road car. You have to be more flexible in your drivign and drive around the defeciencies in the car. That keeps me amused as i cant afford to try and be the quickest, so just fight the battle within :( I love the fact that my road car is within 2 seconds of an R31 Gp A car running the same series engine :)

As we are talking about road cars on the track,I`ll be trying to improve my R33 gtst to be as close to a porche or Lambo as possible.I recently made a front piece of sheet alloy in 1.6mm that fits snug inside the front bumper at the bottom and covering the full width and front suspension.I pluggeed up all the gaps between the cooler and flat sheet to force the air through the radiator and nowhere else.I left a gap as the factory would so air can escape from the engine bay.WELL,at 100kph the car is much quieter from the front area.I was quite surprised actually,but very happy with the result.don`t know if it effects down force but I feel if there is less wind noise it has to be working to a degree.

Sounds good. Only i would add be careful when you are throwing alrge sheets of alloy at the underside of the car. Make sure its secured well, i would hate to think what a wayward sheet of alloy would do under a car :)

What times are POrches/Lambos etc doing at Oran?EC etc. Base don what i have seen you wouldnt need to worry too much about aero etc to be quicker. But hey, its cheap backyard engneering that will make a difference so why not :blush:

there are some Vortex generators on Ebay (search vortekz) - 10 packs for US$20 with angle setups etc in the pack ..

The old school Zed guys in the USA chucked a whole bunch of different kits for the older 240-280z 's in the wind tunnel and test the package's effectiveness. the generators had great affect on the effectiveness of any rear wing they used.

Sorry guys I am such a computer noob.Will try to post up some photos soon.I assure you though that my car is much quieter on the expressway.And the only way the wind noise could be reduced is by less turbulence.I`m currently working on a rear diffuser but to be honest,I think the rear end of the GTST is pretty tidy.I think I`ll concentrate on the area just behind the diff.Maybe a couple of small sheets in front of axle line to help with air going through the rear subframe assembly.Dont worry Bass,everything is very secure,in fact there are quite a few existing holes for small stainless nuts and bolts.

• 1 month later...

And thats just how easy it is.The only difference is mine has another piece between the front lip and the leading edge of the larger section.This makes it one flat piece right through.I`m telling you, it has transformed the car.

• 1 year later...

Bringing up a really old thread i know, but i want to see pics of Skylinecoupes (or some one elses) "under car aero aids".

Anybody else mucked around with some sheetmetal or carbon under the car to make it more flat? I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while now as it can be done relitively cheap by yourself (with sheets of metal) and since i do Engineering at uni, i figured this would be a nice start for Fluid Dynamics :thumbsup:

This is probably the best thread i could find on this topic

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...hl=aerodynamics

Edited by PM-R33

Back a while the F1 cars used to use a fan on the rear of the car along with a few other things that used to suck the car to the ground, i am going off on Sunday to bunnings to grab a few nice big industrial sized ones and strap them on....

Matt