SAU Community

R2525det Power Problems

hey ppl

I need some advice on whats going on with my r33. Yesterday i took my car for a dyno now six months ago it ran 250 hp no worries and what was with a stock fuel pump and inject and coils and pod. Yesterday i took the car back because we put some more boost into the car and a 040 fuel pump took see what happen. Now about 2 weeks before it have a tune and it ran 234 at 10psi cause the fuel pump was not working properly. So yesterday it ran a 218hp with new fuel pump and 14psi boost. the air fuel ratio was fine it was bout 10 or 11. One problem we think it might be is that turbo has a big whistle before boost it doesnt sound healthy. So any ideas

Thanks

white smoke can be either turbo or just the regular smoke when hot air goes into cold, black smoke is the fuel, it may be running ricg.

what mods are u running in the way of a computer or safc or what?

if ur in melb take it to ray @ RE customs. he'll fix it. mine had a faulty crank angle sensor which reduced hp when we dynoed. easy fix.

but tel us the mods and we'll see if we can help ye out. btw get rid of the 040, they sh*t and get a tomei fuel pump. speak to r33god he can get em at a good price.

his mods are "possibly" highflowed turbo (i am going to take it off on the weekend and have a look), 040 pump which i put in on the weekend, new spark plugs, pod filter, fmic, turbosmart boost controller, turbo back exhaust and remapped ecu. i think that is all, dan will post up if i missed any.

i know it can't be the dyno reading out because a r33 with stock turbo, remapped ecu, full exhaust, cooler on 14psi made 271hp immediately before him, and a xr6t with flashtune and 12psi made 299.3hp dirrectly after him.

i was talking to the dyno operator and he said that it came up to around 100hp at about 80kmh nice and easilly and then just didn't really keep going from there.

a few problems we know of are: missing one of the nuts from where the turbo bolts to the manifold, has a loose bolt on the compressor housing (one of the ones that if you loosen you can spin the housing round).

we know it isn't a fuel issue as once it came on boost the afr's dropped from mid 12's down to low to mid 10's. the graph was a bit rough and when they put the graph from the run a few weeks back it was much, much smoother. my guess is that the turbo is just dead, which is why i want to pull it off this weekend. the whistle dan mentioned is also there on boost, he just can't hear it from inside the car.

Its a long shot...but could it be blow-by at higher revs being injested into the intake and causing detonation...thus causing the knock sensor to retard timing and hence less power? Also...afrs of around 10ish seems alittle rich to me...that would hold power back too...

Edited by limpus

yeah we realise that it is running on the rich side. i think that will be a big factor in the loss of close to 20hp. the afr's on the 230hp run were rather lean. we have a emange waiting to be tuned. we are just waiting for the new turbo to arrive, but dan wants to check that the bottom end is ok (compression test, etc). if it is dead of dying then i have a rb30 sitting in the shed at home that we will build up.

we got a new turbo coming so we are just going to scrap the turbo that's on it.

we have just put it down to the fact that the afrs are so rich compared to what they were last time. last time they were in the mid 12's to 13's, now they are low to mid 10's.

also found out that the skyline that went on before dan that mad 271hp had afr's of low 13's, so that explains the power it made.

but first we gotta replace the rack end and tie rod end cause the passenger side one keeps dropping out cause the thread is stuffed. luckilly it has dropped out while dan is driving on the highway. it has only dropped out while he is in town.

Yeah it luckky it didnt happen on they highway I would have become another "young silly drive doing highspeed" well that was the cops would have said. Aholes. I looking at bout 300 for a new rack fitted. As for the turbo once the new one gets here lets see what that does. the whistle is really startning to drive me nuts its gettn worst everyday but I love driving it too much to leave it at home.

Well Mark I am hoping like all hell the dam turbos here today I am get aliittle pissy with Autobarn