SAU Community

Stretched Tyres

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do it for cost and so the wheels sit better in the guards

ive got 205's on a 8.5" on the front and 225's on a 9.5" for the rear.

looks depend on the tyre also, previously i had a set of dunlops that were 235 on the rear and they looked like they were stretching more than my current 225's

i do it for cost and so the wheels sit better in the guards

ive got 205's on a 8.5" on the front and 225's on a 9.5" for the rear.

looks depend on the tyre also, previously i had a set of dunlops that were 235 on the rear and they looked like they were stretching more than my current 225's

I've also had the same thing with dunlop and bridgestone 235/45/17's being quite different on my 9in rim. The Bridgys look stretched and the dunlop sat square.

I like the look of it and the less sidewall flex.

from a grip standpoint, your getting less tread on the road though

Not exactly true. The tyre width does not determine the size of the contact patch. All else being equal, a 225 tyre will have the same surface area touching the ground as a 245 width tyre.

Not exactly true. The tyre width does not determine the size of the contact patch. All else being equal, a 225 tyre will have the same surface area touching the ground as a 245 width tyre.

Huh? Am I missing something? skinny tyre=less surface contact, fat tyre=more surface contact?

I always had 235's on 10.5" rims. Same reason as said before, any bigger would rub.

That's pretty good fitment mate.

Any chance you can explain?

With your 14x10 Longchamps, you've dumped it till sparks off man holes and with as much camber as you can dial in the tyre still hits the guard, you need to stretch. This is where the fad all started ladies and gentlemen.

And here it is, 195/60/14 on 10inch.

post-18999-1187349610_thumb.jpg

I had another read of the post, and in the context it was posted I'm probably wrong. With an ultra-stretched sidewall, that doesn't flex as much as one with a "proper" fitment, the contact patch will be smaller.

Which is probably why didn't reply to his post the first time......

But if you run two tyres of different sizes on rims that they're "suited" for (like say a 215 width tyre vs a 245 width tyre on a 7.5" wide rim) then the difference in contact patch between them is minimal.

right australian manufacturers know everything...

ahhhh this is why in germany cars such as porsche and mercedes come with stretched tyres from the factory....

that's right, it's PORSCHE that know nothing., ah keyboard warriors were right the whole time, should've known...

contactpatch1hk3.gif

"Imagine driving on to a glass road and looking up underneath your tyres. This is the example contact patch (in red) for the situation I explained above. The narrower tyre has a longer, thinner contact patch. The fatter tyre has a shorter, wider contact patch, but the area is the same on both."

Because you now have more space the weight is less per cm so the contact patch decreases. Of course all sorts of factors change this, eg tyre pressure, how much its stretched etc.

Stolen from http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible_pg2.html

ahhhh this is why in germany cars such as porsche and mercedes come with stretched tyres from the factory....

that's right, it's PORSCHE that know nothing., ah keyboard warriors were right the whole time, should've known...

They might stretch them but its not ridiculous stretch eg a 195 on a 9.5" rim.

Edited by Rolls