SAU Community

Capacitor Or Bigger Battery

philta

capacitors is a bit pricey for what they are worth.

currently got a 320 cca bosch in the car, and theres a few cheap capacitors of ebay. but should i just get a larger battery say 400-500 cca.

does anyone know the pro and cons?

just my sub and amp is abit much for the battery atm.

thanks

Edited by philta

yeah i had a search and big read on it. def a bigger battery. so far cap are worthless for car audio anyways.

just one question guys, does the battery in the r33 "HAVE" to be sealed since it's in boot?

im not going to argue, but i suppose my input will give some idea.

i have changed my battery and gone from a 500CCA battery to a 430CCA battery and i have a 532 RMS amp on a 1000W sub.

i dont blast my system that much, maybe once a week going home in traffic. I find that it still draws quite a bit of current and i give my battery a charge and maintain it ever couple weeks, i should do it more often.

There has prolly been much discussion on issues like this, but what i will say is that there is a 3rd factor - how much can your alternator charge back to your battery per hour, along with that how long is your average drive. So minus the cars normal consumption of electricity and your consumption through the audio system together from the electricity generated through the alternator. That is my semi-educated guess.

But i think it will be fine what your doing, like in my case, just keep an eye out and look after your battery.

Good luck

Also I thought capacitors were to hold a threshold of current for when you go doof doof. Im sure it is effective in any application, again, consider the 3rd factor, because yes you are charging a second "battery" so even more consumption.

have fun

A cap is never meant to act like a battery. You use a cap because it has a quicker charge and discharge rate than any battery on the market. When the sub is working hard, the amp draws alot of power, in pulses, the cap just provides a "filter" of constant power.

The CCA rating on a battery has almost no baring on it's ability to discharge current.

If you are going to get another battery, i recommend getting a quality one, something like Optima or Odessy.

Arbess' point should also be considered, as it is very valid. Depending on how big your system is, you may need a bigger alternator, but just note that bigger alternators start charging higher in the rpm range.

eg: Std alternators may start charging at 1000rpm, but an upsized alternator may need 2000rpm to start charging. Thus in extended traffic you actually get a flat battery, even with your stereo off (happened to my mate).

Just to let you know: I am not an audio installer (but did get paid a few times to do it for other people), but i am an Electronic Technician.

been reading up alot of options and yes, all have their pro and cons, butt so far a bigger or secondary batt seems to be the best optoin.

im keeping to my standard alt since i dont pump my system much.

so as far as my knowledge in electrical circuits (just failed EC203....god dam it!, 2nd elec eng unit) seems like a bigger battery is the better option for my use.

when i had my stereo in my car i had 2 exide optima blue top batteries in my car and my when my stereo was on full ball the voltage would not even move a notch

on my previous car had one odyessy battery and a cap and when stereo was on full ball with the headlights on the lights would dim at certain bass points

changed over, took the cap out put a exide optima blue top battery and on full ball the lights didnt dim

depends on system setup really and how much power you are using

sometimes its wise to change to a bigger alternater, change to a bigger grounding cable like a 4 gauge way better than standard which is like 8/6 gauge.

• 2 weeks later...

Caps and Batteries are two different things. A Capacitator is designed to proved the extra power when u hit a bass note. because it's got a charge stored there it's less strain on the battery. The Battery will power the amps and top up the cap when it needs to. if you want to prolong the life of the battery then a cap is the best way to go. even though better batteries like Oddsy or Optimax will provide the power, it's the spikes caused by big bass notes that will lessen the life of any battery. just have a look at some good quality installs and you will notice they all have at least 1 Fared Capacitators.