SAU Community

Motor Magazine: Dyno Results For Current Aussie Vehicles

Hi all,

For those who don't buy Motor magazine I have provided some reasonably interesting info below in relation to their recent test of Ford and Holden's toughest.

Car kW(wheels)

HSV GTS (manual) 245.2 @ 5,700

HSV R8 (auto) 243.9 @ 5,500

SS Comm (manual) 236.2 @ 5,500

SS V Comm (auto) 232.0 @ 5,500

FPV Force 8 (auto) 229.2 @ 5,900

FPV Force 6 (auto) 229.2 @ 6,200

Falcon XR6T (auto) 195.1 @ 5,700

In July 2003 Motor had a similar test. The results were as follows:

Car kW (wheels)

Caprice (auto) 5.7ltr 158

Falcon XR8 (manual) 193

Monaro CV8 (manual) 189

SS Commodore (manual) 182

Commodor SV8 (manual) 178

GTS Coupe (manual) 222

HSV Clubbie 5.7ltr (manual) 196

FPV Falcon GT (manual) 225

XR6T (manual) 185

Interesting comparison. You can make as much or as little as you like out of the results. There are many factors that effect the figures and I understand the different dynos produce different results.

There are some significant differences and a few minor movements over this 4 year time period.

In relation to say the SS Commodore when tested in 2003 the quoted figure by Holden at the flywheel was 235kw where as the current power is 270kw at the flywheel. This is an increase of 14.9%. The figure at the wheels has increased from 182kw to 236kw. This is an increase of 29.7%.

All in all this may be an accurate or inaccurate comparison and we will never know.

Cheerio

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ronin,

For the recent test it was the Swinburne TAFE, Victoria, Dyno Dynamic AWD dynamometer, 16 deg C ambient temp.

The 2003 test was also sone on a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer however with a group called C&V.

One last comment, I'm impressed by some of the power figures. No wonder their quick in a straight line. It would take a reasonably well modded and tuned Skyline GTST to outrund the Aussie contingent. And I say this not because I am a Ford or Holden fan but because I think it is a fact. Am I wrong in thinking that that a standard GTR would be outrun by most of these cars? Not trying to start a war, just curious.

Edited by Smurf

they may have more power at the wheels...but its all about power/weight ratio...

yep, power to weight is the winner.

belive that an R8 is around 1800kgs, giving 7.38kg/rwkw

if a stock GTR is 1450kgs, then to match a 7kg/rwkw, the GTR will have to make 207rwkw.

I reckon a stock GTR will make around 180rwkw, so with an exhaust it will be close.

plus don't forget rear wheel vs 4wd - will the R8 get the power to the ground efficiently as the GTR?

all so many variables.

I find it odd that you would mention that a stock GTR only puts out about 180rwkw. I have a kinda old HPI magazine, which was a GTR special edition mag, In their they mention that most GTR's put out 195-200+ rwkw.. who should i believe?

but the new GTR will just bitch slap them back into the kitchen.

GTR is an AWD car most Aussie vehicles are RWD, a GT-T or GTST would be a more valid comparison.

A GT-T with a highflow turbo is enough to bitch slap even the all mighty HSV GTS back into the kitchen :D

Here's a point of reference for future comparison. Lap times around Calder park from the same bunch of cars were:

HSV GTS (manual)1:10.96

HSV R8 (auto) 1:09.90

SS Comm (manual) 1:11.01

SS V Comm (auto) 1:10.80

FPV Force 8 (auto) 1:11.93

FPV Force 6 (auto) 1:10.06

Falcon XR6T (auto) 1:20.20

Points to note, times are not in order. Also I think there was a misprint for the XR6T, I think it should have been 1:12.20.

Are there an sub GTR's (i.e. GTS25T) that can top the R8's time. if so what mods did they have. Is there anyone who has raced at Calder in a stock GTR.

Cheers

Will

Here's a point of reference for future comparison. Lap times around Calder park from the same bunch of cars were:

Points to note, times are not in order. Also I think there was a misprint for the XR6T, I think it should have been 1:12.20.

Are there an sub GTR's (i.e. GTS25T) that can top the R8's time. if so what mods did they have. Is there anyone who has raced at Calder in a stock GTR.

Cheers

Will

These cars all are very heavy...with no 4 wheel drive.

An Evo...WRX...or gtr32/33/34 will all beat those times in standard clothes.

Technology is always improving..but our Aus. cars are also getting heavy.

Please do not compare these cars to a GTR.

GTST/GTT may be a better comparison..rear wheel drive.

A stock gtr does..or did...13.4s 1/4 mile

I believe all the above cars are 13.7s and above..most around 15s..LOL.

I have no idea what you are after....do you want to buy a gtr, and just want to know if they are better at the track?

YES YES YES......they are race breed...and band from v8Aus racing because they were to good...lol

So forget the dyno. results..they mean nothing...take a ride...you will feel the power.

Please do not compare these cars to a GTR.

GTST/GTT may be a better comparison..rear wheel drive.

A stock gtr does..or did...13.4s 1/4 mile

I believe all the above cars are 13.7s and above..most around 15s..LOL.

I have no idea what you are after....do you want to buy a gtr, and just want to know if they are better at the track?

It was more out of interest than trying to source a definitive answer as to which car is better, the answer to that question lies in the eye of the beholder of course.

Just in relation to your comment, you are saying that I shouldn't compare a GTR to the cars in the list however one of your reasons for this is the quarter of a mile time. This is surely only one form of comparison.

It is interesting that you state the quarter mile as a worthy method of comparison when your signature states that performance can only be measured from 0 - 1,000 metres, which leads me to my next question, where do you think they would all stand after the 1,000 metre mark. The GTR would get the jump no doubt and would most likely make it to 400 or 500 metres first though the torque may allow the others to catch up.

Once again I am not trying to really acheive anything, just providing info for those who are interested and also making some mild comparisons.

So does anyone have Calder times?

Cheers

Will

those times look pretty good from what ive seen of calder times

shows you that a 6 can beat a 8 - the force 6 was quicker than the GTS

i think that also shows the awesomeness of the ZF 6 speed auto - better ratios and quicker shifting in the ZF then in the GM 6sp manual

yep, power to weight is the winner.

belive that an R8 is around 1800kgs, giving 7.38kg/rwkw

if a stock GTR is 1450kgs, then to match a 7kg/rwkw, the GTR will have to make 207rwkw.

I reckon a stock GTR will make around 180rwkw, so with an exhaust it will be close.

plus don't forget rear wheel vs 4wd - will the R8 get the power to the ground efficiently as the GTR?

all so many variables.

meh who cares, different cars for different uses, seems kinda stupid to me if u buy a GTR and all ur worried about is how fast it will go in a straight line.

I think i was running 1.08's in my stockish GTR, street tyres etc... But i'm sure someone with more driving skills than me would of gone much faster.

There are a few gtst/gtt's running quicker times than that, but modded....

For laptimes around different tracks, including calder, check.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=46199

Calder isn't really a great circuit track to compare, somewhere like Sandown would of been better...

Still some impressive figures out of stock taxi's there....

i think that also shows the awesomeness of the ZF 6 speed auto - better ratios and quicker shifting in the ZF then in the GM 6sp manual

I'm pretty sure that GM and Ford are both using the ZF 6 speed now, just with different ratio's and shifter set ups.