SAU Community

Boostworks

Adz2332

Just need a bit of advice and to see what you guys would do.

I have a GTST series 2 R33.

I was having trouble with the car showing high knock levels on my power fc around Jan this year. So i took it into boostworks and got it tuned. Cant remember what it cost off the top off my head.

It then kept knocking so a few months later i took it back in and they fiddeled around with it again and charged me $50.

Now the knock is gone but since the last tune up im now getting terriable fuel econmy. I was getting 400km to a tank, mayb a bit more. Now im struggling to get 350km... I dunno whether im now being to picky but im not to happy....

What would you do? Is that just the way it goes or what?

And i dont really want to keep annoying shawn....

Adam, They may have needed to dump some fuel in to stop it from knocking, or at least to make it a little safer, either that or you may need a new 02 sensor! Mine goes thru the juice as well, I would assume you should get more than 350 out of a tank, but don't expect to get too much as these sorta cars come at an expense!

heres an idea....ring shuan and ask him?

edit/ u should get around 10L/100km

Dunno about that... on the open road you will. In the city I average around 13L/100 and the worst I get is about 15L/100, and my car is still pretty standard.

My last fill was 11.5L/100 with about 300 km of it in the country.

Still I'm pretty happy with that as friends with Gen3 V8's are lucky to get 20L/100 :D

3lt with mods and i get that with conservative driving easy. Not city centre or peak traffic, but everywhere else (all the time) i do.

how can u doubt what i get even though u dont know me or have seen my car....? Im the one who drives and fills the tank

If i booted it id probably suck more fuel than u, but id be gone from the servo before u got there :D

Edited by Bl4cK32

completely off topic but,

that red VL with boostworx hollographics all over it...is that owned by one of the guys who works there? Ive seen that thing punch it before and, wholly crap....

Going somewhere else isn't going to magically solve the problem. It looks like Shaun knew what he was doing and did solve the problem whilst charging almost nothing!

My suggestion is that he has FIXED the knock problem which may have been masking another problem that affects fuel economy.

Your engine was obviously running quite lean (hence the knocking), which will also give you more power and use less fuel (because running lean means you are using more air and less fuel than if it was running rich).

So all he has done is make your AFR's safe (like it should have been before), so rather than blaming that for your poor fuel economy, look for another problem elsewhere.

I'd go with the recommendation to check/change your O2 sensor, check tire pressures, ignition timing, Air filter (every little bit helps), intake temps and anything else you can think of that may affect fuel economy.

You should have an AFR graph from your last dyno which should help to see where the problem lies. A good looking AFR might still mean there are sensors not working 100% correctly.

definition speak to Shaun again

He is very helpful and reasonable

IF it's his previous job which causing the issue, he should fix it for free. I can't see this as annoying, u are the one who being annoyed by second quality job

completely off topic but,

that red VL with boostworx hollographics all over it...is that owned by one of the guys who works there? Ive seen that thing punch it before and, wholly crap....

Nope he doesn't work there. It still hasn't been pushed hard yet as its had a few issues initially with oiling then the bottom end let go and now its running a std bottom end. Unsure when it will have another tough bottom end slipped in there and pushed up over its previous best of ~300rwkw. Its definitely got some potential.

-----------

Adz,

Throw some nulon fuel system cleaner through it (believe it or not it does work when used every 5-10,000km's or so), check the o2 sensor is swinging once the car is warm and your cruising at a steady speed, if its not check o2 feedback has been turned back on after tuning.

----

As with bl4ck32 I was getting from mid 10's to flat 11l/100km's when tuned up from the rb30det driving around with a bit of a lead foot as it loves to lunge off the line with very little throttle input.

BUT saying that our motors are essentially identical; same headwork by the same people at the same time, same bottom end at the same time same people etc etc.