SAU Community

Smelly Air Con

bilbo117

Hey guys,

I have an R33 gtst and lately when I turn anything on to do with the air con (fan,heater, anything) it really smells.

i was thinking maybe i should replace the filter but i have no idea where it is!

any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill.

i know this is a bit off topic but, i know of someone, who knew someone who was at the pub of his face when he got into his car he threw his guts up all over the dash and the vomit went down into the heaters ect... didnt matter how much he cleaned it up the smeel never went away, even after pulling the dash apart, never killed the smell, ended up selling the car. Obviously they didnt have the heaters or aircon switched on when they test drove it... very unlikely this is you case but could just well be the case... hehe

you might wanna refill your aircon, a mate had a falcon and it smelled abit when it was empty...

by the way its winter, what you need aircon for?

lol, dead animal ?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dead rat behind the heater system. It's nice and warm.

A Vic member had a rat or something eatting his dog's food in his engine bay, anything can be possible.

try spraying some house old anti bacterial surface spray disinfectant like 'Pine Clean Glen 20' into the air intake vents for the AC when the AC is on, this will clean all of the shit out and should leave you with a better smelling system. It did work on my old car........use heaps of it but. Make sure you don't get a shit smelling one, i got 'fresh linen'.......smells fantastic :D

The smell comes from the heater box and evaporator box. After time a build-up of mould and junk builds up in there due to the condensation you get when operating the A/C. Sometimes it can also be due to a blocked A/C drain tube. As im sure the excess water in the drip tray would help to build mould etc. Remove the lower half of the left hand side of tha dash including the glove box and you will be bale to see (from the left), the blower, the evaporator box, heater box. You should be able to remove the evaporator separetly to the other boxes. If i were you (this is what i did and have been told to do) i'd remove the evaporator box and heater box and take them to bit and clean them out with soapy water to remove any grime etc. Another thing that builds up is gunk from the intake air being drawn in by the blower. It gets spread all over the evaporator core, as its the first decent restriction in the air stream. When this happens it can get so bad that you actually get considerably less air flow thru the vents. Check it out.

Regards,

Deren

• 2 weeks later...