SAU Community

1990 R32, Push Or Pull Clutch?

I have a R32 GTR and the stock clutch is slipping very badly, so its time for me to change my clutch. I was told that 32 GTRs change from push to pull clutches half way through.. i was also told that it depends on which month the car was made and not which year. Is there somewhere on my car that i can check the date it was made? i can only seem to find the year it was made.. or can i somehow check if it is a push or pull clutch without taking it to the mechanics? thanks for any replies

man that diagram is way off. no car has a solid line going all the way from pedal to slave. for starters the pedal actuates a ROD which goes into the MASTER. then a line (usually starting solid) goes down to near the slave, then a rubber hose goes the last little bit to the slave. NO GTR has a clutch cable. They are all hydraulic clutches.

Basically you need to stick your head under the drivers side of the clutch and take a look at which way the slave is going. ie is it pushing on the fork from the back, or from the front.

?

The operation of a push or pull clutch system outside of the bellhousing is identical. Compression of fluid at the master, pushes the slave cylinder out of its housing.

It is the direction of effort on the clutch fork that is the difference between push and pull.

Push, the slave cylinder is foreward of the clutch fork, pushes it backwards, inside the bellhousing the clutch fork PUSHES on the clutch to operate.

Pull, the slave cyinder is rearward of the clutch fork, pushes it foreward, inside the bellhousing the clutch fork (which is mechanically connected to the clutch ) PULLS the clutch assembly to operate.

Simplest way to check is: If the slave is foreward of the clutch fork, it is push, if it is rearward of the clutch fork, it is pull.

Zennon.. get rid of that confusing incorrect information.

Pull, the slave cyinder is rearward of the clutch fork, pushes it foreward, inside the bellhousing the clutch fork (which is mechanically connected to the clutch ) PULLS the clutch assembly to operate.

Simplest way to check is: If the slave is foreward of the clutch fork, it is push, if it is rearward of the clutch fork, it is pull.

nice to know somone agrees with me. :) and can explain it even better!

yes zennon I have no idea what cars you have been looking at mate, but no pedal is pulling on the master cylinder... and none have a pedal connected to the master cylinder by a cable. like I said above, the easiest way to tell is check which side your slave is on in relation to the clutch fork. :)

lol, there is no cable!! :)

ok, in a pull clutch the slave is on the other side of the clutch fork. but it still pushes on the fork, the fork is now doing pulling, instead of pushing. :( push clutch and pull clutch have completely different diaphragms. :)

im back ~ lol ok i sort of get the idea, just need a better picture or an explantion to zennons pic lol the pic kinda confuses me more hahaha damn >.< can u draw in clutch pedal in the pic too? so i can see where all this is relative to the pedal? and wat does the slave cylinder look like o_O real new at this, as u can tell lol =.="

Get on the ground and look at your gearbox, drivers side..

Should see something along the lines of this:

post-16250-1185365158_thumb.jpg

almost the same anyways.. generic pic.

red circle shows the slave cylinder. that is in front of the clutch fork pushing back, this is a push type clutch.

if your slave cylinder is in the yellow circle, pushing forward, it is a pull type clutch.

slave looks like this - you cant miss it - its bolted to the gearbox with two bolts:

r698965361mzy.jpg

and you cant miss clutch fork either - it looks like a leaver sticking out of the gearbox

here is a pic of my slave on my RB20DET when it was leaking:

post-31383-1185402939_thumb.jpg