SAU Community

Gps Devices

Bec

Ive been considering getting one of these guys for a while, but I have no idea whats decent and whats not.

Have been considering the "Navigator 3000" from Road Angel, purely because I can get it cheap (well I think so anyways) - $325 - $350.

Link - http://www.roadangel.com.au/

Is this a good unit and a good deal?? Or would you recommend something else??

Your input would be great.

Thanks,

BEC

I have the Road Angel 6000... awesome to use.. maps are uploaded free whenever they are updated.. only the rd sense side of it is a subscription... thinks its $9 per month... but the first 6 months are free....

TomTom.

I've used Navigator, Destinator and TomTom...

TomTom > Destinator > Navigator.

Garmin is meant to be ok as well, but go the TomTom. Keep in mind to buy updated maps cost a few hundred.... but I've heard TomTom can be acquired if you know where to look :thumbsup:

Tom Tom's are very easy to use and have the best screen layout while navigating, but it missing one cruicial setting (for me anyway)

You cant tell it NOT to take dirt/ unsealed roads, coming back from NSW it wanted to take us though dirt roads in woop-woop (not happening in the hot rod we were in). It didnt even say that they were dirt roads, i recognised some of the road names close to out destination.

The Navman on the otherhand has an avoid dirt roads setting.

Another annoying item (maybe caused by me not knowing how to operate it, but if so its not very intuitive); i couldnt get it to add towns as waypoint. Say you wanted to go to Echuca via Healsville, it wanted you type in street number, name etc; things that arent necessary, i didnt know any street names to type in anyway. I just wanted it to take me via Healsville, not stop at someones place!

I havent tried this on the Navman yet so i dont know if that works for my uses.

And they are very acurate as a speedo, better thatn most car speedos. Try it and compare it to the detectors on the Geelong or Hume Hwys

Tom Tom's are very easy to use and have the best screen layout while navigating, but it missing one cruicial setting (for me anyway)

You cant tell it NOT to take dirt/ unsealed roads, coming back from NSW it wanted to take us though dirt roads in woop-woop (not happening in the hot rod we were in). It didnt even say that they were dirt roads, i recognised some of the road names close to out destination.

The Navman on the otherhand has an avoid dirt roads setting.

Another annoying item (maybe caused by me not knowing how to operate it, but if so its not very intuitive); i couldnt get it to add towns as waypoint. Say you wanted to go to Echuca via Healsville, it wanted you type in street number, name etc; things that arent necessary, i didnt know any street names to type in anyway. I just wanted it to take me via Healsville, not stop at someones place!

I havent tried this on the Navman yet so i dont know if that works for my uses.

And they are very acurate as a speedo, better thatn most car speedos. Try it and compare it to the detectors on the Geelong or Hume Hwys

Shane..I owe u $20 from the drag day - pm me u details!

I have used a navman and Garmin on my yacht as a speedo, to compare the actual speed and VMG (which is another speed reading for yacht racing) againsta my actual instruments. It read clsoe if not the same and they cost like $5000 for all the bits and pieces.

In the car I use the TomTom 710 as stated before. Yeah unsealed roads anrt the best however I have never needed to use that feture. The big touch screen is really good when driving and very easy to read. My wife can use it (thats why I bought it) and she reckons its ace, press the "home button" and it directs you straight home. I just had a look in it I notice key points of intrest are CHadstone, Chapel Street, High Point and the QV CarPark. LOL sorry at home beating of..

LOL - thanks everyone for all the input.

I need to hit somewhere like Harvey Norman and play with a few so I can pick which one I like I think.

Anyway, Im still looking and still trying to decide - so keep the wisdom coming :fakenopic:

Bec/Adz - You can borrow my TomTom ONE if you'd like to see what it's like.

Very easy to use (MUCH better than the OEM system in most cars, especially Bentley) and pretty accurate.

Is here at the office now - but I can drop it into MSAC in the morning if that is useful.