SAU Community

R32 Gts-4 - Really Loose In The Backend

hi, my r32 is very sloppy in the rear.... like my mates mum hahaha.... anyway... if i am driving straight and do a few quick left rights it seems as if the back takes a long time to catch up...

when i first bought the car the HICAS light was coming on.... my understanding is that HICAS is the 4 wheel steering mechanism... is that right??? ( if not can someone please explain what hicas is?) so my line of thinking is that the 4ws is unhooked. if this is so do i have to pin the back wheels in place somehow to help them drive straight or what???

as you can tell i am a newb and a bit confused by this sh*t....

another question.... are the R32 GTS-4's meant to be 4WD??? mine is not....

when i first bought the car the HICAS light was coming on.... my understanding is that HICAS is the 4 wheel steering mechanism... is that right???

Yes.. a 4 wheel steer system that turns the rear wheels by something like 1 degree (or something of the sort.. please correct if not accurate) to assist in cornering

so my line of thinking is that the 4ws is unhooked. if this is so do i have to pin the back wheels in place somehow to help them drive straight or what???

you can get a HICAS lock bar off e-bay for like $150 and lock the back up as HICAS dosnt really do too much and you can rip out some of the HICAS gear and save weight

Why do you think not?

Do you have a dront diff?

Front drive shaft?

Transfer box?

If you dont know what or how to find these things.. just drop the clutch and see if the tyres light up or just pulls :D

or you could do it the boring way and see if you have a torque guage on ur instrument cluster..

and yes.. GTS4's are AWD.. not constant like the EVO or WRX.. but as soon as the rear wheels loose traction (the system cheks this 10 times a sec in the R32 and 1000 times in the 33, 34 and staggy), the front wheels begin to pull aswell (hence making it a 4wd).. once rear wheel traction is re-gained.. torque goes back to only the rear wheels.

hope that helps

*I do not advise doing this on a public road*

Edited by GTS4WD

if i drop the clutch only the back wheels light up... i will get underneath and check for the front diff etc tomorrow... so do you think the sloppy backend would be the hicas??? sounds like it right??

yet another question.... when i had a wheel alignment recently the guy told me the castor was way out.... (this is like camber but different axis correct???)... he aligned the wheels so the tyres would wear evenly however the car pulls to the left a lot.... he said something under there was bent and would maybe cost a bit to fix.... anyone know what might be bent and whether there are castor kits or something like it available....??

yet another question.... when i had a wheel alignment recently the guy told me the castor was way out.... (this is like camber but different axis correct???)... he aligned the wheels so the tyres would wear evenly however the car pulls to the left a lot.... he said something under there was bent and would maybe cost a bit to fix.... anyone know what might be bent and whether there are castor kits or something like it available....??

The wheel aligner should have been able to tell you what was bent if anything.

Castor is where the wheel sits in relation to the top of suspension. Postive castor (which almost all cars have) would have the front wheels sitting in front of this point.

"if i drop the clutch only the back wheels light up... i will get underneath and check for the front diff etc tomorrow... so do you think the sloppy backend would be the hicas??? sounds like it right??" - does the 4wd light come on when you start the car up? it should flick on for about 5 seconds, then go away when you start the ignition

if it stays on, check your fuses, if it goes off, the 4wd system sounds like it's working properly, check the ATTESSA fluid tank in the boot, right hand side under the cover, opposite of the jack

most 4wd skylines do actually light the wheels up on hard launches, you should have a torque meter on the left side of the dash, watch it, it should rise to round 30-50 when the back wheels are spinning, because it'll start spinning the fronts.

If it doesn't, it means your 4wd isn't workin the way it should, check your front diff and front driveshaft are attached properly.

And your definitely sure it's a GTS4? if it doesn't have the torque gauge in dash and has a boost gauge in it's place, sounds like it's either got a GTS-t dash or is a GTS-t

It's not a GTS 4-door is it?

You don't need to jack the car. You should be able to see a drive shaft and the front diff housing (under the starter motor) by peering in the engine bay.

yet another question.... when i had a wheel alignment recently the guy told me the castor was way out.... (this is like camber but different axis correct???)... he aligned the wheels so the tyres would wear evenly however the car pulls to the left a lot....

This always happens when you have had incorrect alignment for a while, it has worn the tyres and now everything is straight the tyres are still worn wrong so it 'tread steers'. Depending on how bad it is it might never get better until you get new tyres or it might wear even.

Oh I like your avatar pic too.

This always happens when you have had incorrect alignment for a while, it has worn the tyres and now everything is straight the tyres are still worn wrong so it 'tread steers'. Depending on how bad it is it might never get better until you get new tyres or it might wear even.

Oh I like your avatar pic too.

yeah they are actually brand new tyres... got them aligned when i got them put on....

Is it a GTS-4... I thought it was... a GTS with 4 doors right??? or is there more to it than that...???

Is it a GTS-4... I thought it was... a GTS with 4 doors right??? or is there more to it than that...???
A GTS-4 has AWD, just like a GT-R. There should be drive shafts to the front wheels. Otherwise, you simply have a 4-door. And of course you will light up the arse end if you don't have the AWD system.

hi, my r32 is very sloppy in the rear.... like my mates mum hahaha.... anyway... if i am driving straight and do a few quick left rights it seems as if the back takes a long time to catch up...

when i first bought the car the HICAS light was coming on.... my understanding is that HICAS is the 4 wheel steering mechanism... is that right??? ( if not can someone please explain what hicas is?) so my line of thinking is that the 4ws is unhooked. if this is so do i have to pin the back wheels in place somehow to help them drive straight or what???

as you can tell i am a newb and a bit confused by this sh*t....

HI INTELLEGENCE CONTROL ACTIVE STEERING

I PREFER U TO CHECK THIS SITE OUT

ITLL HELP U UNDERSTAND A BIT MORE...CHEERS

http://www.solve-it.org/skyline/Hicas.doc

oh, i can see where people get it wrong

sounds like just a GTS with 4-doors

they are known as GTS Sedans :(

they GTS Coupes are 2-door

then there are the GTS4s which are 4wd turbo, or non turbo for R33

don't worry about the 4wd, you don't have it, as for the hicas, you could do what that document says above, but the guy writes all his messages in CAPS so don't trust him :)

Also the kit he has on his site basically doesn't lose any weight from the system, it keeps it all there.

It'll be the hicas causing it to feel funny, i describe it like turning a corner with a deskchair? because it feels so strange

Just get a lock bar from here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...l=hicas+removal

and follow this:

remove all lines and front solanoid

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...p;#entry2100796

As for the wheel imbalance, it happens on most skylines, it might just be a bent castor rod or something, find out what's bent, go to the wreckers get a non-bent one, it shouldn't be much at all

then take it to get balanced and it should be close enough to straight

oh, i can see where people get it wrong

sounds like just a GTS with 4-doors

they are known as GTS Sedans :(

they GTS Coupes are 2-door

thanks dude... i am an idiot... hahaha....

... or, it could be that the rear shocks are stuffed and the thing wallows about like a pregnant hippo.. like mine has the misfortune to do at the moment. :D

haha... wallow it does... but the shocks are definately good...

it's all good dude, your learning :D i used to know nothing when i first bought mine

didn't even know what a turbo was, i had just turned 18, thought i had a GTS, hit the gas, though man this is slow, turbo kicked in, ripped me to the seat, 3 skylines later, about to buy my 4th

it's all good dude, your learning :D i used to know nothing when i first bought mine

didn't even know what a turbo was, i had just turned 18, thought i had a GTS, hit the gas, though man this is slow, turbo kicked in, ripped me to the seat, 3 skylines later, about to buy my 4th

f*ck i want a turbo....

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what i'd do;

1. Check rear tyre pressure ;-)

2. Check the alignment - can make a huge difference. Aligner should comment if the tie rod ends are stuffed, but ask the question anyway

3. Check the bushes - cradle and control arm

If all that's ok it shouldnt be too bad. Then look at;

- hicas lock bar

- subframe (cradle) alignment bushes - aka pineapples

- stiffer sway bars