SAU Community

Attempted Theft Of My Baby

OK. As I approach my pride and joy (32 GTR) Wednesday afternoon, I look in the drivers side door and notice something very strange, my steering wheel is missing... Confused, I try to make sense of it. The first thought is someone has been in my car? After unlocking the door (they were thoughtful enough to lock the car up) and jumping in I quickly assess the situation and realise that nothing else has been stolen or damaged.

I take a closer look at the steering column and notice that in the process of taking the wheel which was a well used Imola they had actually snapped the steering shaft. I then think their motives must have been revenge as the wheel was hardly worth it and that the damage caused would be more expensive. I jump out of the car and assess the externals, engine bay, boot etc. Nothing was touched, infact there were absolutely no signs of forced entry.

Bummed out as you can well imagine I arrange a tow truck and the driver advices me that I am very lucky as they tried to steal the car and snapped the shaft in the process of breaking the steering lock (done with a good amound of force). This happened in the Constitution Ave car park opposite the Convention centre. In this case I was exceptionally lucky that the shaft snapped before the steering lock as I have no doubt the car would have been gone if it hadn't.

The car is in the process of being repaired and I am getting a satellite tracking security system installed. It isn't worth the risk.

Coincidently, in Sundays Canberra Times there is an article about car theft in Canberra. Statistically, the worst areas not surprisingly are the city, Kingston, Phillip and I think Belconnen.

My advice, insurance, well installed security system and a bit of vigilence.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Embarressingly I didn't have an alarm which made me an easy target.

I did a lot of research into alarms and yes many of the systems are very good but it comes down to how well it is fitted. Canberra isn't known for its quality alarm fitters either.

Recent studies indicated that a professional thief are able to bypass most alarms and immobilisers in an average of 20 seconds. This is because of the quick and cheap installations. From the information I gathered a good fitter needs at least half a day to properly fit the system to make it difficult for a thief to bypass.

Sorry to hear that.

Installing alarm is highly recommended! I can't stress that enough.

It's not only deterrant for thefts, and it also saves from hit & run incidents.

I was at the Fyshwick Officeworks carpark, doing late night stationary shopping. I hear the alarm go off in my Echo, while I was at the checkout. Some Officeworks staff & I went outside to have a look, a van reversed into the car and just about to drive off. He could have since there was no one around until the alarm went off. Luckily he saw us and stopped, and we took his details.

Interesting point there and very lucky on your behalf. With so many false alarms these days it is good to see that people still respond to an alarm.

It was acutally suggested to me to have the alarm installed in the cabin because even if bystanders ignore an alarm sounding, it is unlikely a thief will or can ignore 100 decibels ringing in his or her ears for very long.

that is no good. i have had a car stolen before and i learned my lesson.

I now have top of the line alarm with 4 points of immobilization alarm hidden, siren hidden, kill switch, ear bleeding screamers, insurance and a license to beat car thieves. hehe...

the bastards deserve being caught and taught a lesson they will NEVER forget.

It was acutally suggested to me to have the alarm installed in the cabin because even if bystanders ignore an alarm sounding, it is unlikely a thief will or can ignore 100 decibels ringing in his or her ears for very long.

I remember someone mentioning this isn't actually legal or something? Can someone confirm?

Would anyone know of decent alarm fitter around here? Or know how to configure these things?

I thought BDL Car Stereo in Belconnen did a pretty good job on the one they did for me a few years ago

This happened in the Constitution Ave car park opposite the Convention centre.

The car is in the process of being repaired and I am getting a satellite tracking security system installed. It isn't worth the risk.

Yep my commo was pinched from there, real dumb thieves. An immobiliser would have prevented them stealing it.

Do some research into the tracking systems, I think you will find none of them work in the ACT. I know a few people in the ACT willing to spend big $ on alarm systems but looked into satellite systems and passed them up due to their ineffectiveness in the ACT.

I used to work for an auto electrical wholesaler and we supplied allot of the auto elec worshops around Canberra, the best places to go get a good alarm installed are by far Lonsdale Auto Electrics in Braddon (very switched on auto elec's) and Tuggeranong Auto Electrics (also very good) I wouldnt go anywhere else.

However, an alarm and immobiliser will only protect you so much, a pro theif will get through an alarm in no time, your best bet is a hidden kill switch somewhere in the car that only you know about, Ive heard of some very creative ones such as pushing the ashtray in (push button switch behind it), these simple switches are just as effective (if not more) as an immobiliser.

I also have spoken to a few vehicle recovery cops and they have all told me that the best defense against car theives is a club lock... I have been told by numerous cops that the first question they ask the owner when a car is found after being stolen is did it have a Club lock? The answer is ALWAYS no.

But I think that the best defense is DONT park anywhere that you dont 100% trust (like anywhere in Civic).

Havent exactly heard great things about Tuggeranong auto electrics, majorly stuffed up someones alarm install on this forum. I wouldn't use em.

Well, thats your choice.

I know the owner personally and he is a great guy and a very good auto elec.

Sometimes accidents happen and you cant generalise because of one incident, after dealing with them for over 2 and a half years I know for a fact that they are a really proffesional bunch of guys.

But.....You cant believe everything you read in forums can you.

I am not sure how effective club locks are either. I remember watching one of those sensationalistic news programs and using brute force a thief can break even the best ones.

I do like the idea of a hidden kill switch though. The only way to steal the car besides locating the switch is on the back of a truck...

Well, thats your choice.

Sometimes accidents happen and you cant generalise because of one incident, after dealing with them for over 2 and a half years I know for a fact that they are a really proffesional bunch of guys.

But.....You cant believe everything you read in forums can you.

Thats true, for every good experience theres always a bad one, could say that for all the electricians around here. Just wanted to say that people have had bad experiences with them as well as good. Just I wouldn't use them thats all.

My missus came back to her car last night to find that someone(people) had tried to nick it, broken window, popped bonnet etc, they didnt get very far though. no internal damage and nothing missing so like WTF?

$110 for a new quarter window fitted.

Im def putting in a decent alarm/immob for her and doing it right. I put my Viper in my 200 and made damn sure it was as well hidden and hard to bypass as possible.

I have also had very good experiences with Tuggeranong Auto Electrics, in the 7 years I have been using them, they have only made one (although intentions were good ) genuine mistake and when I spoke to them about it, they rectified it straight away, fully refunded my money and were admirable about the whole encounter.

I think communication plays a large part in resolving issues like this, and they were prepared to listen and respond. I'm prepared to use them again because I know if anything goes wrong, they won't close the door on me.