SAU Community

Stageas In Carparks

tmg

I read the specs on the stagea a while back as I am havin a good think about getting one someday, and wondered what they perform like in the everyday carpark scinario. Turning circle in the specs = 5.3 metres, and that's huge! Can you get a steering rack that makes the turning radius smaller?

Huge? are you used to driving a barina or something?

Turning circle is hardly a factor i'd decide whether a car is good or not. I mean, I have a skyline - same gear. I have never found it a PROBLEM. e.g. I don't go oh shit, ran out of steering lock when trying to park...

In answer to your question, yes you can

Barina - no. Ford Laser - yes. it has...or should I say - had, a nice small turning circle. Thanks for answering the question too. I don't rate it steering as a major factor, but thought i'd throw the questions out there.

The Stagea has a pretty decent turning circle considering the fact that there are drive-shafts running to the front wheels too (unless you go for a RWD version). I came from a Corolla, and my old man still has a 2003 Camry. The turning circle on the Corolla was great (obviously, because it was a small car), but the Camry's turning circle is worse than my car's...

One thing with the Stagea is the rear overhang, but what's good is that the rear window is almost vertical, so it's pretty easy to judge how much room you have behind you if you reverse park into a spot. It's also good because it makes the load area much more useful, compared to a hatchback or a wagon with a steeply-sloping rear window area.

Occasionally I will let go the usual "Come on!!! Get Round!!!!!" but that is usually when I am trying a U-Turn in a residental street so its probably my own fault... as for car park driving 99% of the time its fine..... :P

FFS you buy a car and you are worried about the tunring circle? Forgive me for saying this but how long have you had your license for?

In a car thats 4wd the turning circle is going to be always a large one. It doesnt mattes wheter is a sedan or suv. Why? Like they say theres Cv joints in the front wheels that drives it. Thats the factor that limiting the turning circle. Get it?

Driving skills is all you need to drive in a car park. One advise when driving such a long vehicle always go for a rear entry :P:D . Which means rverse in instead of parking head in first try it.

Rather than start a new topic i'm going to follow on with a similar question:

How's the reverse parking go with the Stagea? I'm coming from a Subaru Liberty Sedan and it's easy enough to park in tight spaces - I"m guessing Stag's aren't too bad in that respect?

lol - Comparitivly, my old Stagea used to turn on a die compared to my BMW. and 4 turns lock to lock now! its insane, soo much turning

Rather than start a new topic i'm going to follow on with a similar question:

How's the reverse parking go with the Stagea? I'm coming from a Subaru Liberty Sedan and it's easy enough to park in tight spaces - I"m guessing Stag's aren't too bad in that respect?

Like I mentioned above, Ian, having a good-sized rear window and an almost vertical tailgate helps heaps. You know that if there's roughly 2ft to the rear window from a wall, that roughly half of that should be left for the bumper. Of course, if you're gonna open the tailgate later to get the shopping in or whatever, don't forget to leave more room.

I find it enormously better than my 70 series Supra in carparks, for the simple fact that the Supra's doors are about 3 km long, and you had to take at least 6 months of yoga before even contemplating using anything but the aerotop for ingress/egress. Sure, the turning circle is a little wider than a Lotus Elise, but it's a Large car!

Ive never had an issue in a carpark and ive had to park in some stupid stupid spots.

On another note, want more lock, get aftermarket tie rod ends and adjust them for more lock, then a wheel alignment to adjust toe.

Otherwise, remove the rod ends and insert some spacers, aka washers, when screwing the rod end back in. This will do the same thing but in a less safe more borro drifter kinda way....