SAU Community

Cruise Alice

Sklyn

Is this dude ever coming up ? Why don't you just get Dalby to tune it ? He'll manage it easily on a lightly modded sr20. Do you need Dr drift for the Nistune software on factory ecu or something ? If not it's not like it's rocket science on a power fc. That said most good tuners I've found tune for good power and that's it. They say lets get the numbers and forget about everything else like idle and light cruise stuff. Good tuners get really lazy because the can get away with it. Gotta remember to do everything you can't do it in a couple of hours no matter who the tuner is - it takes multiple tunes to get a factory like result in drivability and fuel economy because there are so many load/rpm points to adjust. On a power fc you've got 400 fuel points and 400 ignition points - try adjusting all those in two hours! This is why I've come to the conclusion you'll only ever get a totally tuned ecu after lots and lots of time, hence why I'm tuning my cars myself from now on.

On another note the V spec is in the 11s after me tuning it.

As far as I know Dr drift is a workshop, not one guy. You should just get a power fc instead of nistune if you want to keep modding car into future. Nistune isn't a "chip", it is reburning your original ecu eprom chip with a modified tune. If any minor adjustments need to be done you need the nistune software all over again to do anything, like if your car idles different or dentonates when it gets to summer. With a power fc any small changes can be made on the fly in real time and with the hand controller you have access to your engine vitals at all times, like actually knowing when your car is detonating, injector duty cycle ect. Also factory Nissan ecu has about 256 load points for fuel map, apexi has 400 so the resolution is better. Same for ignition map.

I have heard good things about the nistune as it accesses the computer at a factory level but would only go there if your plans are very mild for the car, no big turbos or map sensor only tunes.

Edited by BK

dr.drift is a workshop and the owner tuner who started it is called sam, ie dr.drift.

the newer nistune or whatever dr.drift uses have a daughter board and allow live tuning from a laptop with out burning multiple chips.

there are cars running around with 300kw out of a chiped ecu without the need to go for a powerfc.

in my opinion a power fc is only needed if you are going to go a de-jetro setup with no afm.

my aim for the car is a responsive 230kw at max

Nistune will do the job for your application and that's all well and good wanting to stick with the factory ecu but my question still stands - what happens if you need to tweak/correct something ? Your stuffed cause you need nistune to get back into it, and still you'll have no idea when your car is knocking (which is the best part of a power fc) or any other vital engine info. Your kept in the dark with what your car is doing. You are in the middle of Australia and thinking you'll never need to access the ecu again is naive at best.

That's so bullshit saying you should only go for an apexi power fc if you want d jetro though, there's much more to them than that. What experience have you had with performance cars to say that ?

Also why all the hype about this dr. drift ? I've never heard of any of the cars they've worked on doing anything special, unless they're into drifting (which is a load of wank). Martin Donnon who tuned my R32 from Willall racing said he'd come up to tune cars if I could get 4 or 5 people together - and he's far more reputable than dr. drift and has the cars/results to back him up. Tuned the first 8 sec GTR in the country and is a pioneer on the new R35.

Which leads me back to this - if your just going for a mild tune and don't need a guru tuner, just get an apexi and get Dallas to tune it is he's more than capable of doing a tune for your lightly modded car.

I'll be very suprised if this dr. drift actually ever comes here. Who's cars is he going to tune to make this trip worth it ?

I know Martin would be very bored if he came here.

Edited by BK

the hype is that he can tune a wide variety of cars and has agreed to come here. if you can get someone else into town to tune my car before dr.drift gets here then im keen for that.

and as for engine inf you can get the nistune software on a laptop and run it in your car if you want to see knock levels and what not if thats what you wanna do.

im not looking for a hardcore car that is modded of its head. just a few simple mods and thats it

and anyway im not here to argue about what ecu is best. i think both have their place in the car world. if i had the money i would have an apexi pfc but it doesnt matter. the nistune will do what i need it to do.

on another note i have some new rims on the way :D

That's cool, but heaps of people have agreed to come and never did. Is there an actual date ? If not it won't happen.

In regards to engine destroying detonation, I'm talking about detonation after the car has been tuned down the track, not while it's being tuned. You won't know it's happening with the stock ecu as it will just retard your timing and screw around with your tune, making you lose power. An apexi will not do this, but will kill your engine if you have too much timing. The power fc is much more performance orientated than using a stock ecu - no matter how you tune it.

Martin said 4 to 5 cars and he's here. I put money on it too that he has the ability to tune more cars than DD. This guy has software for bloody everything - from shitty fords/holdens right up to Lamborghini and Ferrari. He's a freak.

Is this dr drift dude definitely coming on a certain date or not ? I don't wanna get Martin here if something else has definitely been organised. Also, how much are you prepared to pay ? I don't think he'd even bother unless your talking over $800 per tune which sounds like your not gonna pay, or else you wouldn't be insisting on tuning stock ecu's. Also we'd have to talk to Dallas as he'll want money on top of that for the time on the dyno. It's not gonna work out cheap to pay someone else to tune cars in front of Dallas on his own dyno. I'd prefer if some more hardcore modded cars as well to present for tuning rather than just pod filter and exhausts on Nissans. He'll be like "why doesn't your guy up there just do these ? Why do I need to come up for that ?"

My point I've been trying to make all along though is GIVE DALLAS A GO, he's not stupid and would probably invest in Nistune if any of you guys gave him half a chance.

Edited by BK

i do not want to get dallas to tune anything of mine. im not sure if he has gotten better but i know of a few cars that have had issues after being tuned by dallas.

I had my integra tuned by him and it was always going back for something at some stage. it would not cold start easily and used way too much fuel let alone the problems i had with vtec engaging ect ect. that has left a sour taste in my mouth in regards to his tuning.

Dr.Drift will be here once he gets back from his darwin trip and sorts out a couple cars in his workshop. i was on the phone to him today and he has looked at flights and spoken to dallas.

$800 for a tune is far to much as most cars in this town already have tunes but just need adjusting.

If you arnt going to get anything done by dr.drift or make an attempt to get a decent tuner into alice springs then why bother going on about it??

if you can tune your own car then congratulations to you but there are other cars here that would like to get dr.drift into town.

dr.drift has an excellent reputation on nissansilvia.com and his customers stand by him so thats good enough for me.

**edited cause i cant spell**

Edited by Mr.Msquito

I said I'd help get a GOOD tuner here no worries as he already agreed when I was in Adelaide, so don't get snotty with me. Got nothing against this dr drift at all and he's probably a good tuner, just heard all this crap before about this guy coming here. I said I'd get Martin up, but I said you guys wouldn't be able to afford him didn't I ? And I was right. Sounds like you and your mates want the world for nothing. What you want $200 tunes now ?

I don't know who I'm talking to here but your obviously in the know far more than me. You've owned an integra - says it all really - You must know what your talking about.

Edited by BK

i never said i knew everything at all...... i said that i prefer the nistune over a powerfc for my setup and that i didnt want my car tuned by dallas from past experiences i have had with him in my integra.

if you have nothing against dr.drift then why all the fuss?

Dr.Drift is busy and will be here as soon as he gets the time to. yes he was supposed to come up around this time but had family things to attend to. the other times before that it was talked about but because i was organising it with him to tune my car and it wasnt ready so we put it off.

i dont claim to know how to tune a car at all but i know enough to make my own mind up about what ecu will suit my application and what wont. i have done hours of reading on what engine managments are out there and i chose nistune because it keeps all the factory sensors and has all the aircon idle loops and what not already on it. Just because i dont have 2 gtr's in my shed doesnt mean i dont know how things work. we're not all made of money like some so cant spend $1000+ on a powerfc when for half the price we get something equally as good.

you dont need to pay $900 for a touch up tune on a lightly modded car.

Man, I feel like I'm talking to a pissed off teenager. You're hardly in a position to say how much tuning is worth as you wouldn't have a clue by the sounds of it. How many tuners have you been to ? Did you read anything I've said ? I've been around the traps a fair bit a don't just PAY people to do everything for me. Read as much as you want - practice is better than just theory. These forums are a breeding ground for bullshit.

I'm not made of money, but I have worked bloody hard and applied myself to my trade to get where I am. Maybe you should do the same...

Edited by BK

pissed off no, annoyed that other people think that they know everything and are always right yes.

i havent payed for stuff all to be done to my car. Just about everything done to my car has been done by me. sure i might have had help from carmelo at times but i replaced my engine by myself, swapped my turbo multiple times, done my clutch along with lots of other stuff. like you said practice is better than theory and im learning along the way./

i have been to a few tuners in adelaide along with dallas here so its not like its something totaly new to me. i think you need to read what you have been saying yourself and realise all i originally said is that i want dr.drift to come here and tune my car and i dont want a powerfc. $900 for a tune is to much for what i need for my car. all i need is a fine tune to adjust the AFR and that should be about it. thats the good thing with keeping all factory sensors

anyway i dont care anymore because your not going to listen to what im saying or my opinion

Finally nearing the full potential of my GT-R. See how I go on Sunday.

RIP Ben & Fabio's RB26's, death rattles in engines!

post-44657-1249138363_thumb.jpg