SAU Community

Cruise Alice

Sklyn

What are you guys a gang or something ??? Proud to say I ain't part of no crew, just a 65 year old and me. Catcha first meet and have a happy new year everyone !

Edited by BK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be there first meet. Thinking of giving the drags away though, it's a bit of a mugs game for the amount of money it costs to get quicker, track time ect. I am serious about getting my 9 sec pass though, if they don't stop me from doing so first. A mid 9 at 140-145mph should be in the ballpark for what it's capable of on full noise. Specs of engine are:

Rebuilt HKS T51S with 1.00 exhaust A/R(was a bit tired) using the Trust 48mm external gate

New Trust 8 litre sump complete with baffling, extended pickup and with secondary oil return line from rear of head to sump

New RB26 front diff crown and pinion gears

New Tomei 1.5mm oil restrictor between head and block

New RB26 block oversized 20 thou(86.5mm bore)

New ARP main stud kit

New Crower conrods with crower rod bolts and oversized gugeon area

New CP low silicon content non-cooling channel type 86.5mm pistons, rings and oversized gudgeon pins

New ARP head stud kit

New ACL race series big end bearings - standard size

New King main bearings - standard size

New Tomei 1.2mm head gasket and Tomei throttle, intake, exhaust manifold gaskets

New Ross tuffbond harmonic balancer

New Nitto high volume/pressure oil pump (these are the shit !)

New N1 water pump

New R34 GTR crankshaft - crack tested and balanced with entire rotating assembly as one to handle 10000rpm

(that's balancer,crank,rods,pistons,clutch,flywheel all balanced together as one unit at Rick Corbett engineering in SA)

And that's just the bottom end !

Head specs are:

My original head casting which was already modified in Japan extensively (don't fix it if it ain't broken I guess)

My existing Apexi Step 3 camshafts (8.7mm 280 intake, 9.7mm 280 exhaust) with original cam bolts

Existing OS giken cam gears setup in Japan (haven't touched the timing setup)

New RB26 intake and exhaust valves (lapped into head by the master)

New Tomei 9500rpm rated intake and exhaust valve springs

New Tomei titainium valve spring retainers and collets

New bronze valve guides

New precision shims RB26 lifter shims to reset valve clearance

Then there's the rest of the shit in between which I can't be bothered going into

I originally bought a short motor from Perth but the machining and assembly sucked ass from a performance shop with a very high pedigree. Wasted like $3000 - $4000 in machining and labour on them. Just shows you why I trust no one now and have the highest respect for my engine assembler. No one in this town will assemble an engine to the exacting standards to which I have witnessed - no one.

I will be babying the car for a while though - no dog box, BP 98 fuel on a conservative tune with lowish boost (24psi) and 8500 limiter for first meeting, then I'll crank it back up to 9500rpm, 30psi, Trust dog box and VP109 unleaded. Thinking about entering both cars at superlap in eastern creek in May, it'll be way more fun than quarter crap. Looking at entering the R33 in clubsprint and R32 in open class. Just to drive the 32 at full noise will be awesome round a track, and will give me more info on how to set the car up for circuit work (probably need to run the street tune power wise - I'm sure 450kw + at the wheels BP 98 tune will do)

Anyway look out for the new and improved R32 GODZILR driving around about a week after new year

(albeit looking like a dickhead trying to drive on the street with the OS giken R3C triple plate clutch smoothly!)

Edited by BK

Multi plate clutch should be fine on the street. Just stopping and starting will take some getting used to.

I can understand where your coming from by wanting to get involved with other forms of motor sport, but don't exactly see where your coming from with the whole quarter stuff is crap. It is a different discipline of driving and being consistent is a lot harder in rwd car on street tyres. Which half the appeal for me.

Be interesting to see if the track here holds enough traction for a 9 second pass after nearly 6 months of rest.

I have driven this clutch before mate, that's what I'm saying. It's a prick of a thing for cruising, but I didn't buy it for that.

Coming from over 15 years of racing motocross and supercross interstate, going in a straight line is bloody boring. I don't care if I was in a car doing 6 second quarters, it's still boring. Yes I like acceleration and it is satisfying when a run all comes together, but it's a lot of cost for very little exitement factor. Choosing corner lines, corner exit timing, braking distance into corners, carrying corner speed ect. has a 1000 times more skill involved than drag racing - especially if your driving a car RWD, slicks, transbrake with a properly setup auto. May as well have a chimp at the wheel. All the skill goes into car setup - not actually driving. Manual cars take more skill but it's a handicap for drags anyway.

The only reason I want to get into the 9's is to prove that's what the car should be capable of to myself. To prove that a privateer not a workshop built and funded car can be competitive against Australia's best GTRs. A 9 anything will be a huge achievement with a H pattern - only a handfull have ever done it in a GTR. Theo Wollett is the H title holder at 8.99 at a massive 160 mph using a PPG 5 speed dogbox.

Edited by BK

But just because the option of slicks and transbrake and auto are there doesn't mean you have to take it. That is why I've been running my 180sx street tyres only and still manual, just to improve my driving skills and understanding of the car more. Sure you might find it very little gain for the money spent, but that is what you get trying to compete at a level restricted to major sponsored workshops. You didn't have to go that far, but hey if that's your choice then I wish you luck.

I wasn't disagreeing that circuit or time attack or even tarmac rally weren't more exciting, just that none of these are an option in Alice Springs so drag racing, rally sprint or speedway is the pinnacle of motor sport here.

As for multi plate clutches, I am fully aware of what they drive like as I have one in my 180sx and I drive it daily. It also has a very tight 2 way LSD and it makes it rather jumpy in car parks or confined areas but I still drive it on a daily basis. Because I can.