SAU Community

Heads Up On Big Rims

avalanche

I got 19 x 9.5 on the rear 19 x 8 on the front. 35 fronts, 30 rears. Rides fine I think. If it wasn't for the shitty Sydney roads im sure you wouldnt have a problem driving it anywhere else. It drives no different to when it was on 17s. Youv just gotta tuck your 19s under the guards so it doesnt sit too high. Problem is 265 tyres I cant afford to replace all the time with the big camber you need to squeeze them under...

Yes and everywhere else in the land of oz has crap roads to..lol....19's are for looks only..road ride would be terrible

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lightweight jap forged 18s are the way to go. 19s or 20s will mean more unsprung weight, less tyre = crappy ride/comfort greater chance of buckling and throws your handling out the window. nuffsaid.

thanks people apreaciate the effort. shitti town and surroundings we got heaps o pot holes so i recon prolly get 18s that r fat sith some thick rubber. then they will be cheaper, legal and look good and be pritty hard to buckle under my circumstances. much apreciated.

ps raise ur car 4 foot pfffft

2 pce 20's are better then the cheapie ones u get.. weight wise no different to stock 17's ride height depends on how good ur tyres are .. compund etc.. but then again i love my extra hard jic coilovers so it didnt matter next up moving to 3 pce 22" work rims when i get some funds together for guard work :)

2 pce 20's are better then the cheapie ones u get.. weight wise no different to stock 17's

:laughing-smiley-014:

ride height depends on how good ur tyres are .. compund etc

:laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:

3 pce 22" work rims

:laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:

spewin for all the states that go by inches for the increase in wheel size.

In ACT (and i thought that all states were the same) the increase in wheel size is calculated by rolling diameter, +/- 14mm from standard.

so basically the bigger the wheels you get, the smaller profile on the tyres you buy.

18's can be legal on a gemini even though they cam factory with 13's

in qld:

The rim diameter may be varied from the standard size but the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by more than +15mm or -26mm.

and for width:

The maximum tyre width for a car or car derivative must not be more than 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.

However, for an off-road passenger vehicle fitted with front and rear beam axles, the maximum tyre width must not be more than 1.5 times the vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.

The nominal width of the narrowest tyre fitted to a vehicle must not be less than 70 per cent of the nominal width of the largest tyre fitted and never less than the

vehicle manufacturer’s narrowest optional tyre as indicated on the manufacturer’s tyre placard.

I'm actually considering going for 19's because the R34 seems to have bigger guards to fill out than R33's. I've had some 18x10.5" rims on the rear of my car that came off some unknown vehicle and surprisingly they fit fine and didn't rub, even around Oran Park GP circuit. I think they only had 270 tyres on them though and my car isn't stupidly low.

I just bought 19's for my V35.

RAYS SF Challenge, and are only around 9-10kgs per wheel.

Same as Abo Bob, re the guards. On a V35, even 19's look too small without it lowered.

Personally the correct 19's don't necessarily look Autosalon (not that there's anything wrong with that :yes: ).

Especially on a car with big wheel wells.

I just bought 19's for my V35.

RAYS SF Challenge, and are only around 9-10kgs per wheel.

Same as Abo Bob, re the guards. On a V35, even 19's look too small without it lowered.

Personally the correct 19's don't necessarily look Autosalon (not that there's anything wrong with that :D ).

Especially on a car with big wheel wells.

Agreed, 19s and 20s will not look out of place on a V35 or 350z :P Just as long as they are not cheap chromies :P

hi im interested in getting some big rims for my car but want to know about if there were any problems with them before i go ahead. 18" 19" 20"? do 20" ride really rough and when u hit a pothole buckle? if i got 18s or 19s with like 40 of 45 mm tyres would they be any good?

From my experience, the bigger they are, the easier they bend. and they do. they also ride rougher.

15" are where its at

just got some 19x9.5 (275)rears and 8.5 fronts (235 i think). ride is more bumpy for sure but thats expected with the lower profile tyres. 18s just looked too small on the 33

i thought they would rub but not one sign of rubbing anywhere so im really happy, just need to lower it maybe 1" as its riding at standard ride height still

i just got 20in, 10 inch rears and 9 inch fronts. they look good, but if i could do it all again i would go 18 simply for the practicality. 20 inch is something different but be prepared for guard work if your wanting wide wheels..