SAU Community

Cheap Brake Upgrade

stupid question, but have you checked that it's not the dust shields behind the discs rubbing on the discs themselves?? It's very easy to bend them accidentally when installing new discs, and it can sound similar to what you've described... I'd be having someone in the car, letting it roll slowly (engine off, and brakes disengaged) while you listen at each corner. Just my 2 cents: I've been caught like this before.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I know nothing about brakes, besides the fact that they stop my car. Currently have a GT-8 sedan and don't think that the brakes are strong enough.

Thinking about upgrade. Any brake guru's out there know if I can put R33 GTS-T brakes (full set front and rear) onto my car? And would they make much of a difference? Would love the brembos but way too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

You'll need to check that the distance between the R33 caliper bolts are the same with V35's, but if you're not doing the install yourself then a brake shop can always fabricate something for you to mount the r33 calipers.

Attached is a size reference chart, the R33 gts-t hat height is higher than the V35 so depending whether you're gonna be keeping your V35 rotor on the front, you also need to check the clearance between the caliper and the rims, especially if you have the std 17" rims. the optional V35 18" or 19" rims should be fine with these.

post-328-1222209937_thumb.jpg

Also I've finally put the brembos and grooved dimpled on the V35 with some redstuff, they're done by RaceBrakes, hardly any noise on medium/hard brake application but still squeals a bit on light application. But again, I had them 2 weeks ago, and so far I've only driven the car once a week and less than 100km since fitted. But the bite is absolutely a class different compare to the stock V35 calipers.

I still believe upgrading to brembo is the best way - there's a few cheap 350z brembo caliper set going on ebay at the moment, mostly in USA (check the sellers if they're willing to ship it down here), but again, R33 gtst calipers are definitely cheaper, and even if they're not brembos, they are considered very good calipers already compared to what's fitted to most other cars from that era.

Just to quickly add - make sure you check the R33 calipers you're purchasing are not leaking, and they come complete with the pins and metal clips that hold the pads, as well as the steel brake pipes section coming out of the calipers. If they're only missing the rubber hose section - these are easy to replace, but having those steel section & small parts for the pads will make your life easier when swapping.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, has anyone changed the front rotors themselves? I had a go at changing them this morning, I removed the wheel and the caliper. I expected the rotor to simply pull off but it didn't. A few taps around the hub with a hammer did nothing to loosen it. I could not see a fitting screw or anything - should the rotor simply pull off - I am guessing that it is simply siezed to the hub a bit.

Thanks, Ben.

• 1 month later...