SAU Community

Making A Vented/slotted Spark Plug Cover

r33cruiser

hi guys, i did the experiment this arvo.

after a hard run of 30 mins, whith a 2hr break in between, to cool the engine down again for accurate results: i found a temperature difference of:

stock cover= 89C

vented=72.5 C

these figures aren't exact, but there was a BIG difference in temps

*note thermometer was measuring for 5min

used an aircraft thermometer gauge with a probe

yea, i only took the 2 readings, and i possibly had the temp gauge sitting on the steel, so it is inaccurate - meh- we all get the idea.

for the guy who is making one NOOOOO dont cut into the stock plastic cover.

generally measure out the shape onto a piece of allie, i cant remember how thick.

then if its too big=good, trim some off, better too much than too little. then for the screw holes, basically trace the holes from the stock one onto the new one. u shouldnt have to bend the steel, just take enough off the sides, so it sits down flush in the little groove.

and u should be sweet, oh and if for some reason, the car is a bit jerky when u drive, dont worry this goes away in 5min.

Edited by r33cruiser

hey attemptin that mesh idea now, iv got the spark plug cover off now, should i just cut into the cover witha grinder?

yes just drill a hole in all 4 corners and use a angle grinder

as for holdin the mesh in i just use stickerflex to hold it in place

u told me too late hahah i cut into the plastic cover put mesh on and its all back on and looks real nice

ill take pics tomoro!!!

post up some pics mate. i want to see if u have butchered a perfectly good cover

lol @ stickerflex 2 posts up. ppl call that shit the weirdest names.

i heard, (but i dont know, and so i'm asking) that if you remove the coil cover, or i guess vent it, there is a risk of dirt, dust, and crap getting into the timing belt enclosure thru the vents on the back of it, that face into the coil valley.

is this possibly a problem?

lol @ stickerflex 2 posts up. ppl call that shit the weirdest names.

i heard, (but i dont know, and so i'm asking) that if you remove the coil cover, or i guess vent it, there is a risk of dirt, dust, and crap getting into the timing belt enclosure thru the vents on the back of it, that face into the coil valley.

is this possibly a problem?

i thought that too. but since ive had it on, i have driven through a few downpours, and have been through a bit of dirt, and no problem

i wouldnt use sikaflex as it gets soft when heated, thats why heat guns are used to help remove rear lights, undo headlight assemblies etc

jb weld would be the best stuff, but you can only get it off ebay in AUS - there is from memory some guys down in melbourne that sell it

selleys 401 silicone is industrial grade high temp stuff. ive never tried it for this purpose, but it seems to stick really well.

ive used it to seal my coilpacks against arcing, and it hasnt melted in any way. the pack says its recommended for sealing glass to oven doors, among other things. so that gives you some indication of its heat resistance. about $10 a tube at bunnings.