SAU Community

Tsukuba Race Prep (all Finished, Some Vids & Pics ) !

giant

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice work behind the wheel to catch that rather large moment at the end of the straight :P

Im guessing some new undies were in order afterwards? :P

Seriously top effort though guys, I think I speak on behalf of just about everyone here in saying that your prepwork, dedication and performance over there have been inspirational!!

So was it the alignment causing the heart ache early on in the piece? Seems the rear end had no grip on turn in based on the fact you had to wind lock out of it on turn in to keep the rear end at bay.

So want to put bigger turbo on my car and grab a spare hollinger box a friend has for his Grp A R31, i want to be able to crank changes like you guys :P

hey guys

snowy hopefully we will get to catch up soon, need to get down to Vic ,really want to get around winton again.

going to Tsukuba really did feel like racing on a special track, i didnt realize how much heritage was attached to the event either! it was fantastic!

i really do want to thank you guys for the support too, it was a fairly big couple of months rebuilding that car and it was good to see it finally over there circulating.

roy the wheel alignment was the issue early on, caused by the way we had tied it down! :( 12mm of front toe out!!

luckily i had bought some smart string alignment gear with us to realign the car. it was deeply satisfying to know we had built the car ourselves and here it was screaming arouind

Tsukuba. the track looks heaps smaller in real life and the front straight is tiny!!

we are already thinking about next year, so hopefully we can get back there.

p.s we maybe trying to put together a time attack in sydney mid next year, run under the same format as the rev speed event with outright prize money and trade stands etc with full video coverage, we would be looking to get some sponsors to bring it together and put on a great event. would some of you guys be interested in this?? this would be purely jdm cars.

cheers russ

p.s we maybe trying to put together a time attack in sydney mid next year, run under the same format as the rev speed event with outright prize money and trade stands etc with full video coverage, we would be looking to get some sponsors to bring it together and put on a great event. would some of you guys be interested in this?? this would be purely jdm cars.

cheers russ

That would be wicked!!

Sounds similar to Autosalon magazine's current time attack event?

What sort of timeframe would organising such an event be? Ie when would the first one be? '08?

What track would you have in mind for it?

It would be good to see a big meet, even if it was just a Supersprint which we could guarantee entry to the required cars. The format of a single lap doesnt appeal to me. Sure its a great driving challenge, and would be good for something different, but the appeal of such an event to me would be to see all the quickest cars gathered together punching out laps. Not in and out of the pits all day.

But, if the numbers arent too restricted i would put my hand up...be different and no doubt great fun

As for the track, personally i think you would have to look at doing it at Winton, Eastern Creek or Phillip Island (inb that order) as the quality of the tracks, nature of the tracks give a nice blend of cars that can do the job.

Wakefield is simply too bumpy and whilst a good track i think Winton has a better mix of corners. PI and EC would help the slightly more hp cars, but ultimately i dont think they would change the deserving winner like a track like Sandown etc could (hp rules supreme there)

looking at EC or oran park needs to be reasonably tight track and nice and short, so cars that are not prepared for major power or cooling can get out and have a chance!

format would be a practice day prior and race day format would be 2 x 20 minute sessions and 1 x 10 minute session to lay down your fastest lap you can come in and out of pits as many times as you want in those periods to change tyres, cool down , air pressure checks etc, this is the format for Tsukuba Rev Speed. there is obviously a couple of classes but this would be as limited as it can be.

all opinions valued so suggest away!

russ

it also maybe done in conjunction with a seperate round at QR with paul and his time attack series up here.

but they would not be combined so you can win each one seperately if you like but you do not have to do both.

LOL...i think it is great that somethng like this may get off the ground. And perhaps a similar series will mean that cars that perhaps intend to compete in Japan at least get practice of the format.

But, personally, dont mean to sound negative or little man syndrome. But i think that if this sort of format is going to work locally then you need to consider things like you nominate/mark a set of tyres for the competition and they are the only tyres you can run on the day. You get one spare in case you flat spot / damage a tyre. Or perhaps you get to nominate tyres that you can change to on the day. So those that can afford may start the day with new tyres and run a new set later in the day...while those with a few dollars less can run on used tyres until they are ready, dialled in to put on their new tyres and give it a punt?!?! LOL i dont know :(

The opinions i will have will of course be coming from the perspective of the budget banger...but its not my intention to try and dumb down such an event. But if people are bolting on new tyres each run...then costs will get too high for some??? You can always run one set of tyres, but it then would be difficult to sit back and watch others bolt on new tyres all day :)

But, at the end of the day, the likes of me would want to be running just for shits and giggles and perhaps PBs. Always going to be better cars and drivers and if you (I) let that stop me then i miss out on all the fun :D

tell me about it roy! i watched the mspeed gtr stick on six full sets of brand new rubber for three sessions!! haha

duly noted! somehow costs need to be controlled maybe we should have a controlled class so that every driver has the opportunity to do well.

LOL...if i had 25k laying around i would so build up another R32 GTSt with some neat mods and then it would be whored around SAU-Vic for a shootout series...all driving and setting the car up as they like. More likely we buy a $500 Gemini and use it for a shitbox challenge :)

But irrespective of what rules/regs are decided upon...laps are laps and they are all good. As long as there arent magnets behind the tyre barriers...i hate it when my car gets sucked into tyres :(

Hey Russ just thought i would finally put a post on here to congradulate you guys in the computer world even though I got the chance at the track. Was a top effort for your first crack the car seemed really well preped apart from the few little issues and full props to mark as without being there I dont think anyone can grasp just how technical this track is with some very tricky sections from a drivers point of view so to do as well as he did against guys that have all probably driven 1000s of laps around that track is a top effort. The time attack thing sounds like a brilliant idea and you can definatly count myself and matty in hopefully we can give you guys a run for your money. If we both get a suspension upgrade i thinjk the cars will be pretty on par will just have to try and get some more time behind the wheel.

that first vid you posted up was a great lap. I watched the car from various places and could not really offer any criticism. :)

also I learned an interesting tidbit today. Garage saurus (who won the rev speed event in 2004) tell me that for Tsukuba circuit they run their yellow GTR in full time AWD :( interesting indeed.

love your work mark and russ.

that first vid you posted up was a great lap. I watched the car from various places and could not really offer any criticism. :wub:

also I learned an interesting tidbit today. Garage saurus (who won the rev speed event in 2004) tell me that for Tsukuba circuit they run their yellow GTR in full time AWD :( interesting indeed.

love your work mark and russ.

at the moment my gtr runs full 4wd, it shunts, bucks, kicks and screams. then i stop pull out the fuse and drive.

:)

Russ - if someone can get the Time Attack off the ground (not like this stupid Autosalon one where they give you 2 days notice to get to Wakefield) I think it would be a great thing and I'd be there along with a bunch of the Vic Racepace cars I'm sure. But my one complaint with the idea is making it JDM only. I don't see any reason for it. Surely the event would draw more interest if there were some nice Euro and local cars thrown into the mix? Plus there's nothing like beating Porka's.

Also - if you want to come have play in Vic bugger Winton - come to PI :(