SAU Community

sub box construction

NA_R33

What sorta subs are u using?? I could give u all the dimensions and materials required to do the install in my avatar, it took me 2 days but really wasnt that hard, just a bit of fiddling, and i still have the spare tyre and it takes about 10 minutes to remove.

I've got a Alpine SWS-1241D - the 12" Alpine dual voice coil - its probably not the best, but I got it nice and cheap.

Box is 90% complete.. came together pretty well. When i have it all finished I'll let you all know how it sounds.

I should be getting a digital cam in a week or so, so when i do will post up pix. May even write up a mini tutorial and a template that people can use to build a similar 12" box.

Its all finished, and all came together well. Sounds great actually! Definitely can feel that bass kick, esp when listening to hiphop or techno.

Its not the neighbourhood annoying bass, but that what i'm after anyway, too much bass stuffs with my head. I believe its only running 75wrms too @ 8ohm with my ancient amp (the sub rated max is 200wrms). I am sure if I bought a more powerful amp it could be a cracker :P

For $35 or whatever it cost me in materials, I am very glad I built it myself. Only thing it needs now is some proper carpet to make it look pretty, but that can wait.

Will post pix (when i get my digital cam) and templates in a week or two.

• 1 month later...

hehe.. well this thread popped back into my mind..

Here is a photo of the box I constructed. Its got a few grubby handprints on it, but ignore that :D With a bit of carpet, the box would be have a pretty professional finish... although still haven't got around to that (not much for visuals). It does sound good though in the boot of my 33..

"now how can u get rid of it?"

sound deaden your boot lid. i was quoted $40 to sound deaden mine. if you take it to an auto trimmer / stereo installing place they should be able to fix it for you or at least tell you what needs to be done so you can do it yourself. basically what needs to happen is to remove the standard sound deadener and either glue some dynamax / brown bread there or paint on sound deadener stuff. i've been meaning to do mine but i'm too lazy.

dude i dont wanna sound like i am having a shot at you or anything, its far from the truth, but RSR33, mounting an amp upside down it really bad for it, it will work, for a while, but it will seriously decrease the life of the amp.

Take it easy

jr

the reason why i agree its not good because in good amps .. the power mosfets or anything else dissapating heat would be tightly bound to the pcb and the heatsink of the amp .. not if u get lots of vibrations then thats going to affect any loose components on the pcb ... usually it should be fine .. but be careful or bye bye amp ...

• 4 weeks later...