SAU Community

Pros & Cons For R32, Z32 & S13. Any Help?

2TONED

Hi i'm newish to this forum. I'm looking at getting a new car soon but stuck on what model to purchase between an R32, Z32 or possibly an S13.

I'm sorta new to import cars coming from the side of aussie muscle. Just wondering the pros & cons of these three vehicles I guess performance-wise, handling, insurance and anything else that matters.

I heard a few bad things about the 300zx engines like lack of power, but from people who are more into v8's.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also i'm reffering to the turbo models.

Well on a Skyline forum you'll probably get a biased opinion
all good cars i rekon depends what you want really. you got one fairly light car S13, medium r32 and larger z32.

+1

if i were to go back in time i would still choose an r32 because of it's strong engine, easy power, and sex appeal :P

If your talkin R32 GTST about the only con I can say for that car is the fact as its only 2ltr it really lacks low down power...below 3000 rpm is pretty ordinary,but hold on once the revs are there.As prior to owning that I had a superchrged VN Commodore which had bagloads of lowdown urge.Good cars and very reliable.As for the 300, if its the twin turbo your talkin about...trust me there aint no shortage of power there, only problem with them is they really suffer from engine bay heat and they are a real nighmare to work on.Go take a look under the hood of one and you will be in for the shock of your life.

Thanks for the replies,

Instead of an s13 I actually meant a 180sx (my mix up). Yeah I like the R32 especially with the wide body. My gf likes the 300zx and so do I but its more the targa top that caught my attention. Also for an elaboration is there much difference in power and handling between a 2 seater and a 2+2?

Ideally I'd like an R34 but it dosen't look like funds will allow for one at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

To and test drive a few examples that catch your eye.

Back in 2000 when i purchased my R32 GTSt, i wanted a TT Z32 300ZX but they were about 30k then for an ordinary one, abour 36k for a nice one. 20k got me a nice GTSt. 7 years later i still think the Z32 is a nice car. Good examples go well, stop well, handle well, sound great and look great. However, in hindsight im glad i couldnt afford a Z32 as it turns out im a butcher and love modifying cars...in which case the R32 GTSt more readily lends itself to mods and performance....ditto track work.

S13, there are some nivce examples around but i think the interiors and feel of the cars are too Corolla, the Z32 is much nicer, and the GTSt is in between.

But best to tet drive some yourself...and remember to shop at UAS, www.nismo.com.au if gou buy a Zed, if they dont know it then its not worth knowing when it comes to Zeds :happy:

i have an R32 GTR so i'll recommend them.

All depends on what you want to do with the car. All 3 will make good stock streeters, so if thats all you want to do then you can't go wrong. If you want to start modifing or racing then that narrows your choice down to just the R32 imo.

The Z32 is a damn sexy car but the targa roof option will let it down when i comes to handling. Any car with that much roof missing is going to suffer chassis flex, something we all spend buckets of money trying to reduce. It's also expensive to mod the engine from what i've heard.

The R32 GTR on the other hand is a great streeter, can hold it's own at the drags and we all no how they decimate all at the circuit. Bit of a jack of all trades.

I spent many months looking for a good R32 GTR, you'll find plenty of cheap ones and with only a couple of exceptions, all fairly bloody terrible, some of the R33's are comparable in price and in a bit better condition. If you where just going to use it as a daily driver the R34GTT is a great car, sure it's not got all the fun-factor of a GTR (and a lot less upkeep) but they are worth considering if your budget goes to about 22-25k.

300Z's are also a nice car and they tend to lead less molested lives than GTR's and S13's, they go, stop and handle just fine. Stay away from targas, all the reasons mentioned, plus I'll add that the bastards leak when the rubbers and plastic gets a bit old.

Working on them could be best described as 'knuckle raping agony', much like my 'ho is...

S13's, I just sold a nice one with a leather interior which made it look a lot nicer than the stock and all things considered over the years she never did me wrong... until I started f**king with it :D But they're cheap to work on, solid 5speed, SR20DET takes more harassment, mods and molestation than any 4cylinder I care to have ever been involved with and theres a crapload of really easy to get mods for them. I'd highly recommend it if you're new to modifying cars as they're fairly uncomplicated beasts.

Though, if you're spending a bit more (14-24k), the S14A and S15 Silvia's are also fairly cheap and have a lot more refined feel to them on the road.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well you were actually right with S13 since both the Silvia and 180 are an s13, the difference is 180 is a fastback and the S13 a Sedan. Internally and under the hood most models are identical, that's why it's so easy to chop and change between them. :) I'm in the process of doing up a S13 at the moment.. Would be easier if I'd stop crashing it.

• 3 weeks later...

z32= :cool: , keep it to the s13 and r32, as a family friend had z32 and it was nothing but trouble, workshops refused to work on it due to having to remove everything in the engine bay to work on it and there a money pit. and there not worth anything anymore.

Like pretty much said, unless it's a GTR go for the Z32. I just sold my TT Zed after 6 years, great car. Plenty of power, same weight as a GTR but unfortunately only RWD. With 300hp at the wheels mine found it hard to get the power down. I truly wouldn't be worried about a targa, they are slightly heavier than the non-targas which is extra strengthening in the roof. I never noticed much body flex at all, my car previous to the Zed had heaps. It would even lift up a tyre coming into my driveway sometimes which to me indicates bugger all flex.

Yeah they are a prick to work on, but it just involved removing stuff in the way before you got to what you needed! I did all the work on it myself including several plenum pulls and it just took time. Very reliable car, I'd heard horror stories before I bought it but like all performance cars if you don't maintain them they will break. Worst thing that happened to mine was the odd coolant leak which when replaced with silicone hoses isn't an issue. It pays to upgrade the radiator though, there's a lot of engine squeezed into that engine bay. There is a lot of shit unmaintained ones around bought by people who just wanted them for their looks so make sure you do your homework and buy a good one.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by Vija

300ZX points as address above,

Silvia... just go a S14 or better - better brakes, wider track, 5 stud etc etc

R32, realistically if your coming from muscle, go the GTR, or an RB25DET GTST (converted 32, or 33 etc)

My stockish 32 chops virutally anything (bar more modified GTRs), let alone when you throw a bit of money at them.

If its a weekend ride 100% undoubtedly go the 32 GTR, otherwise you will have to make compromises for a daily, that said my 32R is my daily...

Have a look at for sale section and car import sites like www.imports101.com.au to get an idea of what you can get for your $$$ :)

• 2 weeks later...

all depends on how much money you want to spend.

GTRs are much more expensive than the other cars you listed so I would assume that you can't afford one.

The other three (s13, r32 gtst and z32) all have their merits but they are totally differnt cars. See if you can drive a few!

And I know I won't win any friends saying this but stock r32 gtst(s) are pretty average, so unless you plan on doing a bit of work to it I would go for one of the others.

• 2 weeks later...

go the 32 mate. saying this cus i have one but the 300zx are nortorious for blowing engines happened to a few people i know who had them just daily drivers didnt thrash them at all and cost them alot of money. and what every one else said about 32's easy to mod nice to drive. :action-smiley-069: