SAU Community

For Everyone Who Has Got A Vehicle Inspection At Vicroads When Registering An Unregistered Car!

ashley12345

Hi Guys,

I'm going to have to go to Vicroads soon to register my car.... currently its unregistered (r32 GTR).

Now Ive heard Vicroads also inspects the car, even though you need to provide a RWC.

How thorough are the inspections? Because i have a slight bit of rust underneath the car......

Hopefully a RWC shouldnt be a problem (I have friends in the trade) but im slightly concerned about Vicroads....

Anyone have any experiance or thoughts regarding this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

By "friends in the trade" ill assume you mean your getting a dodgy one.

Simply put, dont. Or you'll put your 'friends' at great risk of loosing thier license and a substancial fine.

VicRoads randomly inspect cars. They dont check every single car over, they simply dont have the time.

Majority are just sight the RWC, sight the Engine/VIN number to make sure they match, and thats it.

BUT - if you get pinned for the random 'full check' you could be in a fair spot of strife.

All depends how bad the rust is, if it deems a car to be unroadworthy and so on anyway.

Surely for your own sake you'd get it repaired? I mean, if you know there is a problem, get it fixed!

Im currently going through the same thing, and hence its taking a while to get it registered as i wanna be 100% perfect. I could easily get a dodgy RWC. But i'd rather do it the right, legal way and then know that my car is indeed safe.

Cheers.

I've never actually had one inspected (have rego'd 5 myself), each time i got dropped at vicroads, walked inside and provided the RWC and it was all sweet, they were all roadworthy, but the golf and the vn looked like crap so i wouldn't have wanted anyone going too close. Might just be the greensborough branch though

when i went to vicroads, they came outside, checked the vin plate, compliance plate and also checked the tyres, if they matched the same tyres stated on the Consumer Information Notice. Had to go back to compliancer and get the stockies put on for them to pass me.

They also disapproved of my GT-Wing brackets saying they are dangerous if you hit a passenger (im sure by the time the passenger reaches the boot of the car, they will not be worrying about gt-brackets) Removed them in the vic-roads carpark and then cleared the car.

Thats because i ended up with a grumpy old inspector from burwood vicroads, also tried to give me standard issue plates when i paid for slim-lines and wasnt accepting the purchase price asking me for its actual value..

My car is going in for inspection on Thursday the 8th of November, first registration in AUS as its a fresh import.

Had the compliance done, got the RWC and had it all done properly (first time ever). Basically I now also have an issue similar to yours. I have 17" rims on my car, which according to VIC Roads is legal, tire profiles etc, but apparently for initial registration of the car you HAVE to have stock wheels on the car as stated on compliance paper.

I have heard some inspectors pass them, some don't, but I can't afford to take the chance as I just don't have the time to stuff around.

My advise is, do the best you can and have it all done properly.

Have the car stock as possible, and basically as it appears on the compliance papers otherwise your just going to cause your self more problems and headaches. They will definitely check to see if the compliance work has been done, and standard things such as VIN, engine numbers, lights, horn etc

They will inspect the car, how thoroughly depends on the inspector that checks it. I wouldn't take the chance as I said.

It's not likely that they will put the car on a hoist, or jack it up but as long as it is fine from outside, and everything is legal then they wont persue it further.

Best of luck!

Edited by abu

I've passed a few cars through Vic Roads inspections when registering or changed engines. Basically, the guys who are doing the inspection are matching up the cars details with the details of the car. Engine numbers, Vin numbers, etc.

They will ask you where the engine number is on the block unless they know the car type. They will do a quick check for visble RW items, such as tyres, windscreen, lenses of lights etc. They do not go through you car with a fine tooth comb.

yeah they are hired to check the vin and engine number. i went though the pits 3 times and didnt have an issue. although the last one was the pulser and it had the dodgyist paint job and the guy look at it funny but let it go as that isnt a rwc issue..but it took me a while to get the rwc. had to change everything back to stock. turbo, exhaust, remove cooler, make it low mount and a heap of shit

Thanks guys....

sounds like it shouldnt be a problem then. The car has previously been registered in VIC its just the reg has expired.

My main concern was the rust underneath the car. Im guessing it would be very costly to repair.

Im going to need to get a stock R32 GTR airbox as it currently has pod filters.

Anyone know where i can source one of these in the South Eastern Suburbs? and how much is it likely to cost me?

cheers

Ashley

I had my GTS-4 inspected after importing. The guy was fat and lazy, just popped out, popped the hood and had a look around. There was a little (very slight) bit of rust behind the wheels (apparantly snow-spray)

They generally check the engine for mods (I had tower bars, and they were OK) check that the compliance plate is on the b pillar, and that the engine number is engraved into the engine bay near the shock mounts.

Unless you look dodgy, they generally are too lazy to do much else, apart from sneer and enjoy their 5 minutes of power.

I have 17" rims on my car, which according to VIC Roads is legal, tire profiles etc, but apparently for initial registration of the car you HAVE to have stock wheels on the car as stated on compliance paper.

I have heard some inspectors pass them, some don't, but I can't afford to take the chance as I just don't have the time to stuff around.

That is one of the main things they checked on my car.. I doubt they will let a differnet tyre size slip

i've only ever had VICroads do a number check on the car (ie sight VIN's and Engine No's) they disregarded the T88 high mount that was on one of the cars I took to register. If you have your RWC, unless the car's totally suss I doubt you'll have any issues... that said if they pick you up then all they'll do is ask the RWC issuer if the car was in the same state when you got the cert done... which they'll deny. But something like rust is hard to cause in the 30 day period since you get the RWC.

i've only ever had VICroads do a number check on the car (ie sight VIN's and Engine No's) they disregarded the T88 high mount that was on one of the cars I took to register. If you have your RWC, unless the car's totally suss I doubt you'll have any issues... that said if they pick you up then all they'll do is ask the RWC issuer if the car was in the same state when you got the cert done... which they'll deny. But something like rust is hard to cause in the 30 day period since you get the RWC.

Where abouts are the engine nos on the RB26 anyway? I have no idea where they are.....

VSI's - Vehicle Standards Information

Yeah i just checked it out and it said that it had to be less then 330mm in diameter and the hub has to be similar, i dont really get it though, does that rule out switching the r32 steering wheel for like a momo steering wheel or something?