SAU Community

Pod Filters Legal?

By law... in SA... according to Regency park you are only allowed one modification to the intake. And if you do go pod filter, it must be secure and enclosed. It's all BS really. I've got 4 mods on my intake haha. Yet to recieve a defect. Fingers crossed...

Jack

NSW - Illegal unless you have engineers cert. Most of the time cops don't know what a pod filter is. To be safe get an enclosure. But watch out for Highway, they're usually a different breed to GD cops.

in QLD, enclosure or no enclosure u are only allowed 1 intake modification.

SO; either a fmic (with reo bar intact)

OR

a pod filter (un oiled type)

Since when?

This is a NSW/VIC rule.

In QLD it must be secured and dry. But that's about it. There's never been a limit on intake modifications.

Since when?

This is a NSW/VIC rule.

In QLD it must be secured and dry. But that's about it. There's never been a limit on intake modifications.

Only one intake mod eh???

Mmmm....I will choose NOS injection... :laughing-smiley-014:

But I will secure it!!!

Seriously, my regime is as follows:

1. If you are gonna do it...DO IT properly and dont drive your car with it half finished..ie...don't drive your car without your front bar / get that washer bottle fitted, if it doesn't fit, get a smaller one...

2. If you CAN buy it in 'Black'....Buy it in 'Black'...dont buy the bright blue or anodised red colour...Even chrome or anodised clear is better than Blue or Red...(unfortunately cops are not colour blind)

3. If you CAN'T buy it in 'Black'...PAINT it 'Black'... you own a performance car...not a mobile rainbow...If you really like lots of colours become an artist...

4. Get an Engineers Certificate...Your driving a Skyline...not a Commodore...You CAN afford it!! Shoving an engineers cert in a cops face is not the best way to make friends but it shows them that your car has already been checked for legalillty...(most of the time anyway)

5. If it looks to TOO low...Every other cop will also think it looks too low...even from 500m away

6. Dont put stickers all over your car!!! This is a good one....'No officer my car is standard....I am just minding those stickers for a friend??'

7. And last of all, dont use clear tail light lenses (for the commodore and lancer owners out there), little blue lights everywhere (let the cops think they are special cause they are the only people who are allowed to play with blue light) or super bright head light globes that shine from Sydney to Newcastle...'You are young!! You have good eyesight' Save the Zenons or whatever they are for when you are 70 and really need them!!!!

there is no law against cosmetic modifications so no cop will defect you over a nice looking engine bay or some exterior stickers.

it is possible to put stickers on a stock car, many lancer drivers do it.

clear tail lights do look cheap but they wont get you defected.

good head lights might save your life one day.

not many skyline drivers are rich, usually quite the opposite. i know since buying my line that i never have any money in my account.

having your car too low is both a risk of getting a yellow and if too low can actually be bad for your cars handling so that was a valid point.

there is no law against cosmetic modifications so no cop will defect you over a nice looking engine bay or some exterior stickers.

it is possible to put stickers on a stock car, many lancer drivers do it.

clear tail lights do look cheap but they wont get you defected.

good head lights might save your life one day.

not many skyline drivers are rich, usually quite the opposite. i know since buying my line that i never have any money in my account.

having your car too low is both a risk of getting a yellow and if too low can actually be bad for your cars handling so that was a valid point.

There is the law...and then there is reality!!!

My post is not about the law but about how police perceive the law and their own powers to enforce it...It is also not illegal to wear a 'I am a bank robber' t-shirt....But if you do, and then stand outside a bank for three hours and get some attention from the cops are you at fault?? Answer is no, but are the cops gonna just say 'ok son, you are within your rights, have a nice day' ??? Just like everybody, cops stereo type people and if you have a car that screams out I am modified, you are gonna get attention from them...

If you are not happy to debate finer points of the law with a Hwy Patrol officer who basically just hates hoons in the first place...swing the odds in your favour and f&*ck off all of the bling and obvious modifications. Have you heard of stealth??...Do you want to drive performance car...or do you want to just show off to everybody else???

i see what your saying but is it not possible to have both?

nice looking car that is also a performer?

oh and this is the naturally aspirated section, so there is a limit as to what you can do with an N/a car performance wise so many people opt for cosmetic upgrades.

im not a fan of riced up cars either but some nice paint and rims go a long way.

this is completely off the topic of pod filters but so was your regime post..

there is a limit as to what you can do with an N/a car performance wise so many people opt for cosmetic upgrades.

speak for yourself!!! i can think of a whole bunch of things to do :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

I work as a cop in NSW so I can give an insight on the legalities but only obviously for NSW.

Pod filters are illegal unless you have an enclosure. Further, blow offs can't vent into the atmosphere.. Basically if you have a engineer's certificate you are generally fine, but from my experiences most ppl never do especially with the tachos on the 'A' pillar. At the end of the day most cops will let it slide as long as you're not a smart arse when spoken to. And most general duties cops won't know what a pod filter is...

Hope this helps,

Good to know mate, nice to see some police pitching in around the forums. The only worry we have are the small percentage of cops that are either extremely by the book or are just out to get someone for anything lol

E.G I pull up next to some cops and say hi, how's it going yada yada. Do it again with another cop and he'll pull me over thinking I'm trying to be a smart ass?! lol.