SAU Community

Software :)

It's unfortunate that my heads up to andy about becoming a trader and my update on my own project were in the same post, I can see why you guys were hasty to don your tinfoil hats.

Glad you picked up on that....more than likely that was the spark that set me off :P

I'm fine with the rest of your reply.....and you have my thoughts and where I am coming from now.

enough said from me

cheers

Craig

On the conversions I have done ALL SAU MEMBERS cars I have deemed as break even jobs with some not even that, when you put into account the time it takes and some people know what I am talking about. There is the work I have to stop doing or meet people 30 minutes drive just for 30 to 45 minutes work. But if I didn’t do it this service would not be as easily available in WA at the pricing people are charged.

I have had dealers try to convince me to let them on sell it to there customers for $350 which they deem as a more accurate price for what you are getting, my view is they can jam it.

This a decision I made from the beginning so I am not having a winge I am just stating a fact!

I'm not whinging either, being in the west suburb majority of people who want this are in the east/southeast, where some of them I had to drive to them at least 1hr45min-2hrs return trip plus 30min get it up and running. Once I had someone in templestowe that said his mates' car is 10min away and before I know it I ended up in warrandyte. I left my place 7pm thru WRR & citylink and didn't get home till 9:30pm when it's all over.

Put petrol in factor (avg 13ltr/100km city mix if I had to drive there after work in traffic) plus I sometimes have to use citylink/eastlink to get there on time, plus monthly mobile broadband $15, at SAU price I'm just covering my basic overheads.

a kid serving up burger in local maccas made more money/hr than that whole exercise. but I still do it for the love of V35, as long as I don't get a hole burnt in my pocket, a breakeven for fellow SAU members are fine with me.

At least it isn't a service a trained monkey can do.

Yep, I know some of you are tech savvy but not everyone is, and nothing is worse than toasting the nav unit in your car to a dead brick because of 1 wrong step. Good luck finding replacement to that by the time it shipped down here from japan it'll be at least a couple hundreds of $ for a 2nd hand unit with no guarantee that the laser on the unit is stuffed or not.

That's why we insist we come to you / you come to us to install it in person so nothing goes wrong. And I have a spare unit that I forked my own money for, just in case I accidentally toasted one into a brick. No one is perfect.

I'm grateful to Andy and to the Russian guy for making this happen in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm was prepared to pay the money to Andy for the install and I couldn't care less if he made a profit or not, but when he did the install, he mentioned that he was not making any money out of it and I honestly believe him.

He is a top bloke and someone that has done alot for this community. 99% of us can't be stuffed doing anything, but people like Andy and Chris help us out on a day to day basis and we should be grateful to them.

If it wasn't for Andy, I would still be getting looks/comments from people asking me why it was Japanese!

Thanks Andy and keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
That should be ready around July.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

thanks for all the work you and the others have put into solving this language issue.

i'm new to this forum and have recently bought a 2005 V35.

i'm very interested in getting a language conversion and was wandering if that was possible?

cheers

Lahiru

I don't have any more recent updates on how the development of the series 2 V35 language conversion is going.

I would hope he is still working on the solution and he will have it ready soon.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, would like to know how the series 2 is progressing also. Given all the positive comments on the instals so far, seems worth having.

Keep up the good work, its great that someone took the initiative and worked it through.

Watching this forum with keen interest on the other software aspects of the V.

I don't have any more recent updates on how the development of the series 2 V35 language conversion is going.

I would hope he is still working on the solution and he will have it ready soon.

Cheers

Andy

Hi andy,

i have a 2005 V35,

does that mean there definitely isn't a language conversion for my car at the moment. ie, all 2005 models are series 2?

thanks

Lahiru

Hi andy,

i have a 2005 V35,

does that mean there definitely isn't a language conversion for my car at the moment. ie, all 2005 models are series 2?

thanks

Lahiru

yes, Series 2 started early in 2004 (but not sure of the exact date).

All the series 2 have the updated center console where the gear shift leaver has the leather cover over the selector.

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

this one is for the GEEKS who are capable of doing hex edits on raw image data. this is how to approach the language conversion from japanese to english on the XENAVI navi systems.

in essence you are swapping the character set out. all other operations remain the same and you will still have the same issues (IE maps) as before

now if you have ABSOLUTELY NFI what I'm talking about..

DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!

grab a hex editor if you do not already have one.

here are a few links for the good ones.

http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/h...ditor-free.html

http://frhed.sourceforge.net/

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/free...xvi32/xvi32.htm

next go to you local nissan dealer(or if you have a yahoo japan account grab them there.) and order these DVDs

for V35 from 2004.5-2006.11

DISC A :25920-EG07A

DISC B : 25920-EG06B

Disc A is the map update

Disc B is the one you are interested it. this contains a Firmware image/language update.

fire up your hex editor and start pulling DISC B to bits. isolate the firmware image first then isolate the the main screen image. (this is so you can add your own 'touch' to it if you wish.) be careful what you modify :D

from here you will need the ASCII character sets to swap across from japanese to english

ENGLISH:

http://www.asciitable.com/

KATAKANA

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U30A0.pdf

be aware that the japanese is in two byte form so a null character may need to be used.

as an example:

S - $53 in english

whereas in katakana:

SA - $30B5 (there are 5-6 variants-this one was used as an example only.)

bearing that in mind, search for common text (IE menu words) terms and swap as required :(

recompile the disc , burn it to a blank DVD and go play. keep your OEM DVD handy.

thats the GIST of the language swap do not hassle me for info or an image - you will be faced with an IMMEDIATE - NO!

CKV36 works in a similar fashion I'm told . (I'm mucking with CPV35 s2/s3 units as a project so I can learn something new and so I have a later box to decode the data commands into the TV tuner .)

if someone has a chassis number for a CKV36 I'll dig the DVD part numbers up

AGAIN IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE ABOVE -DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!

Edited by Chris Rogers

yeah a very dangerous move if not done properly, cos if you do it wrong, and you tried flashing your ROM with the 'hacked' cd-rom, you'll get a dead brick...

even if you replace the hex of japanese texts to english, it will require more work to:

- swap km/ltr consumption to ltr/100km algorithm

- fixing up Australian time zone o nthe trip computer with automatic Daylight Savings Time...

I believe those two example requires some reverse engineering of the programming codes and logic...

which is why I said do not attempt it if you didnt understand it. well aware of the hard coding that went into the russian hack. I'm doing this as I said to learn something and also so I have a later box to work with. (my early box died with boot errors and I have 3 06 boxes sitting at the shop.)

there are people on here a lot smarter than myself that have done this already. figured I would make a public note of it.

Edited by Chris Rogers

futher to the above point - IF you have the service manuals to the units then the hard coding is possible because you can work out addressing of the board/memory reasonably easy. that will also give you the processor that is sitting on it as well. ( I do not have the manuals for the V35 items - though I DO have them for the 2004 E51 El Grand)

WTF????

;):(:D

as in what am I doing - don't worry. the image I make will not make it here. I merely put a 'how to' up for those that have nothing better to do and have an electronics background with an interest in hacking the thing.