SAU Community

Nissan "genuine Remanufactured" Ecu?!

AD2AV1

Hey Guys, get this! I have had my 2nd 33 for about 8 months now and no amount of replacing sensors or tweeking things on the dyno would make it run smoothly. It has the usual 200rwkW mods, full exhaust, boost controller, fmic, pod, etc...but I could not for the life of me make out why it would surge, idle eratically and generally run like a pig. That is until I decided to swap ECU's wih my house mate with an identical car. As I removed my ECU I noticed a sticker on the side of it that read "Nissan Genuine Remanufactured" What the f#*K???

Am I to believe that this is a 2nd hand computer repaired or maybe a warranty job?? Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

BTW with the new ECU my car performs brilliantly.....just sucks that my mate wants his ECU back...

For all intents and purposes it looks like a genuine nissan sticker, is there anyway of identifying what has been changed, if anything, maybe with a scan tool?? Also I have disconnected my VCT, and now have what feels to be a much more linear torque curve...are there any down sides to doing this as I understand that Nissan wouldnt have put it there for no reason.

For all intents and purposes it looks like a genuine nissan sticker, is there anyway of identifying what has been changed, if anything, maybe with a scan tool?? Also I have disconnected my VCT, and now have what feels to be a much more linear torque curve...are there any down sides to doing this as I understand that Nissan wouldnt have put it there for no reason.

VCT helps with down low power kind of like a powerband

I have the exact same sticker. And my car has always run kinda rough. Like jerky on boost. I just blamed the coils and ignored it.

However yesterday my ECU shat itself, so I have the opportunity for a new one.

Only thing is, I have no idea weather my car is a series 1, 1.5, 2 or what. lol. It's the most hybrid R33 you'll find. It's even got GTR parts lol.

So here's the story, its a series 1.5 I beleive, made in DEC 95. Has S2 spoiler n stuff like that. Airbags etc. Just stuff series 1's don't. But what's confused me is that there is no igniter box in the engine bay, so this means it's runnin series 2 coils yes? So does that mean its been converted, or it was made with a S2 drivetrain?

Basically, I need to know whether I should order a S1 or S2 stand alone aftermarket ecu or are the ECU's the same?

Cheers, Jack

I have the exact same sticker. And my car has always run kinda rough. Like jerky on boost. I just blamed the coils and ignored it.

However yesterday my ECU shat itself, so I have the opportunity for a new one.

Only thing is, I have no idea weather my car is a series 1, 1.5, 2 or what. lol. It's the most hybrid R33 you'll find. It's even got GTR parts lol.

So here's the story, its a series 1.5 I beleive, made in DEC 95. Has S2 spoiler n stuff like that. Airbags etc. Just stuff series 1's don't. But what's confused me is that there is no igniter box in the engine bay, so this means it's runnin series 2 coils yes? So does that mean its been converted, or it was made with a S2 drivetrain?

Basically, I need to know whether I should order a S1 or S2 stand alone aftermarket ecu or are the ECU's the same?

Cheers, Jack

thats normal of a series 1.5. no igniter pack. they're basically s2 engines in s1 bodies.

Sounds like you have found your problem BlueGTS, thats exactly what mine was doing. I'd be keen to know why they were remanufactured in the 1st place, and if so how they came to be in our cars.....jus so I can find the guy that did it and choke him! :)

they dont have the second air bag, they dont have the plastic compressor wheel like the series 2 have so they have the series 1 turbo and they use series 2 coils.

mine is a 95 series 1.5 as well

thats normal of a series 1.5. no igniter pack. they're basically s2 engines in s1 bodies.

they dont have the second air bag, they dont have the plastic compressor wheel like the series 2 have so they have the series 1 turbo and they use series 2 coils.

Thanks heaps for the replies fellas.

So does that mean I want to buy a S2 computer then?

Only problem is, my mate came over last night in his S2 R33..... and...... his setup is different again! He has an 8-pin and a 2-pin plug just before the coils loom. However it appears that at the end of the 2-pin plug, there is just a small plastic box with the symbol on it discribing it as a small capacitor? From memory it was 0.47uf. There is a black and white cable going to this, so I can't work that out!!

I only have an 8-pin plug to the coil loom.

If anybody in SA has a spare S2 ecu and 2 S2 coilpacks they can trial in my car it would be very greatly appriciated!

Cheers, jack

i didnt know that, thanks for clearing that one up for me mate.

bluegts what area are you in? ive got my s2 ecu sitting here...i got pfc so you can try it if you want...i want to keep it tho hehe

Not far from marion, don't wanna openly say the suburb on a forum because of my cars safety lol. But yeah I'd be keen as to try that. Only prob is I need two coil packs now as well though.

Cheers, Jack

Fork out for an after market computer, if you have 200rwkw you really don't want a stock ECU, 33 ones are hard to remap and you'll have more power and a nicer running car with a properly tuned after market one.

That's why I'm trying to work out what ECU I need so I can order one lol. I'm not getting another standard ecu as an aftermarket one was pretty much next on my list of mods.

Cheers, Jack