SAU Community

Supercheap Auto Catalogue Mistake

WA_R32

hey guys just found out that supercheap auto has made a mistake in their catalogue and they are selling dba slotted rotors and bendix advanced premium brake pads for $250 a set it should be only for commonwhores but they forgot to state it in the catalogue so if you want some good brake bits cheap head down there i know my front rotors are usually 262 each so its an awesome buy

actually they are screwed and must provide the components at the stated price if they did not have any disclaimer (even then the disclaimer needs to be obvious otherwise the accc take you to town).

Also if you are mis-charged on a bar code scan you get the item for free, it is the trade off for the obligation to price ticket every single item in a store. Supermarkets are the most common offenders.

Having something advertised is exactly that... an advertisement... it is not the be all and end all of a sale. Dan is right... you can walk in, grab a set and go up to the counter and they can say "sorry we have changed our mind and we no longer want to sell you that product".

Most large companies that advertise like this will print a retraction notice in the paper or something... just depends on how much public pressure they get.

When you look at what they are offering... its not that special any way... they look like they are only offering the basic slotted rotor series which are available off ebay for $219 delivered to your door. I guess adding on the pads too makes a ok package but its hardly anything that is a jaw dropping saving.

@ that cheap price though? If so, I'm there Thursday night then lol

i just heard from a mate that works there that they have sent an email around to the stores saying that they have to stock the pads, they can order them in though

Also if you are mis-charged on a bar code scan you get the item for free, it is the trade off for the obligation to price ticket every single item in a store. Supermarkets are the most common offenders.

So if a $5k Plasma is scanned wrong, you get it for free? Hardly.

Even then, who would argue over a $2.50 stick of butter scanned wrong - and try get it for free?

i used to work for super cheap..and to be quite honest there's ALWAYS mistakes in their catalogues..so if you can pick up mistakes by all means follow it up...but they're normally fairly quick to rectify it because the stores get the catalogues about a month before they start...and if you go into a supercheap store while a catalogue is on and you see a4 posters that have "apologies" on the top its a mistake in the catalogue

as for this catalogue...i haven't seen it so i couldn't tell you whether its right or not

My first job was at coles a few years back now. For a while they stocked some dodgy tv's. When they went on special, for some reason, they scanned at $5. Since it was store policy that if it scans incorrectly, the first item is free and subsiquent items are for the lower price, many poeple got some really good deals on tv's. Since then they changed their policy so it only affects products under $50. Was pretty funny at the time though :(

My first job was at coles a few years back now. For a while they stocked some dodgy tv's. When they went on special, for some reason, they scanned at $5. Since it was store policy that if it scans incorrectly, the first item is free and subsiquent items are for the lower price, many poeple got some really good deals on tv's. Since then they changed their policy so it only affects products under $50. Was pretty funny at the time though :D

A mate used to work at Kmart, there was a toolbox and tools that was $200 on special for $30 (not great tools, but still nice to have some stuff for home). I thought sweet, and got him to put it aside (he got one for himself too), I come in to get it, he scans it on the floor, $3 'arr, I better fix that, they might get a bit suspicious at the checkout' so he put it back up to $30, I get to the checkout, gets scanned, $11, score.

The box for it is in the background here, I'm proud :)

2n04vp2.jpg

Just because an Item scans incorrectly doesn't mean you get it for free anywhere, its is a STORE POLICY they choose to give you that item for free (usually supermarkets) it is not in the Trade Practices Act at all. In regards to Super Cheap having the package at $250 and them not clearly stating that it was a commodore only offer you are entitled to purchase the product for the advertised price. The area of law can be a little sketchy as to whether it is a simple invitation to treat or a specific offer per se. Super Cheap will even give it to you if the price is marked wrong on the shelf; I used to work there a few years ago.

What some people have further stated about a business not having to sell a product to any customer if they dont want to is true. If I walked in off the street and picked up a hammer at a hardware shop he doesn't have to sell it to me. Although as I have stated before especially retail franchises have to maintain a customer friendly policy when dealing with us, it is their internal policy that dictates if it is advertised as so it will be honoured or they get disgruntled customers giving them heaps, and possibly loose market share, bad reputation, loose more $$

All in all if they dont specify otherwise it's for all cars! Super Cheap stuffed up and you can take advantage of that if you so wish..cant type anymore :D

Take it easy