SAU Community

Fitting Fm Radio Converter

wabbo69

Hi guys, I could not find much on this topic so decided to ask.

I have a 350gt coupe and an electronics developments (aka Jaycar) Aussi FM radio converter.

If anyone has fitted one (or similar) can you describe what you did.

If I could get to the back of the Bose unit I would have already done it but I cannot get the side panels off (inner kick pannels).

I see that there is an amp located up the rear near the roof. If that was easily get to able I'd fit it there as there is power and the antenna onnections there already.

Help please?

Gibbo

Hi guys, I could not find much on this topic so decided to ask.

I have a 350gt coupe and an electronics developments (aka Jaycar) Aussi FM radio converter.

If anyone has fitted one (or similar) can you describe what you did.

If I could get to the back of the Bose unit I would have already done it but I cannot get the side panels off (inner kick pannels).

I see that there is an amp located up the rear near the roof. If that was easily get to able I'd fit it there as there is power and the antenna onnections there already.

Help please?

Gibbo

Hi Gibbo:

In my understanding, if your is coupe, tha amp will located in boot next to the spare tyre.

Unless you are talking about Antenna AMP.

Frank

I am talking about the am/fm radio antenna lead to the bose head unit. Yes coupe.

Hi Gibbo:

In my understanding, if your is coupe, tha amp will located in boot next to the spare tyre.

Unless you are talking about Antenna AMP.

Frank

• 1 month later...

Hopefully my last dumb question for the night...the band expander was already installed in the car during compliance when I got it...however, the reception is pretty poor on all stations, it drops in and out as I move, at times it sounds like there is two stations on the one frequency. Is this normal, or have they done a dodgy job, in which case I will go and complain until its fixed. I'm in Sydney if it helps...surely its not normal to have such bad reception, I didnt realise how much I need the radio when I drive!

Sounds like they may have cut the cables and put the converter in the wrong lead. Certainly it is easy to find the cables and do that rather than take the dash apart. I was tempted as they are accessable by removing the inner passenger side panel.

There is no reason the cables could not be reterminated and the thing installed correctly....assuming that is the problem.

Unfortunately you need a tech who knows what he's doing....and he's in Brissy.

In short I'd take It back and get an explanation and if possible a fix. As background though ....

I did wonder what the effect would be if you connected two down converters, one to the main and one to the aux antenna leads. That could theoretically cause the symptom described if the two converter boxes are fdifferent or frequencies are slightly out or if there are harmonics generated or gains are excessive overloading the tuner front end....slightly adjacent identical channels or interference causing the same symptom.

FYI See the following reference compliments www.edl.co.nz public web site. Electronic Developments Limited have been extreemly helpful and supply a fair amount of expanders available over here.

The Car Stereo (Entertainment System) is the most important accessory in a modern car today, and we all know how frustrating it can be, when your Radio has "Bad Reception," and doesn't work properly.

This is doubly difficult to achieve ( perfect reception ) when shifting radio frequencies from 88 - 108Mhz to 76 - 90Mhz as there are a number of problems to overcome.

As you can see International FM Band's bandwidth is 20Mhz ( 88Mhz-108Mhz) compared to Japanese FM Band's bandwidth only 14Mhz wide ( 76Mhz-90Mhz ). Larger bandwidth means larger number of FM stations, so converting entirely International FM Band to Japanese FM Band must contain some compromises. All FM Band Expanders available on market are compromised more or less to accommodate frequency shift. Unfortunately there are a number of Manufacturers claiming that their products are superior by the use of SMD technology, amplification, coaxial leads and the use of RT filter unfortunately not necessary tuned to the frequencies required resulting in poor reception performances . Manufacturers will even give technical specifications obtained god knows how, to proof how well their Band Expander works, and the quality of their components which may or may not improve the performance of their Band Expanders, obviously you must manufacture units with best possible components if not there will always be a problem with inferior componentry. Each manufacturer will always wont to state that they have the best all around unit available, of course without Professional technical specifications and trying the Band Expander in a vehicle is the only and proper way to confirm which Band Expander is the best.

First necessary compromise common to all FM Band Expanders are blank-spots on frequency tuning range, caused by frequency harmonics generated by Crystal oscillator operating well below receiving Frequencies. ( Please click link above to see examples)

Second necessary compromise common to all FM Band Expanders are radio stations <A href="http://www.edl.co.nz/ConvertersHP/double-ups.htm">double-ups, caused by shifting 20Mhz bandwidth into 14Mhz bandwidth ( 88Mhz-108Mhz shifted into 76Mhz-90Mhz) and overlapping Japanese FM Band and International FM Band ( 88Mhz-90Mhz). ( Please click link above to see examples)

As you can see it is important to work out which frequency shift option suits your requirements.

Recommended starting point is to try to use Worldwide models, but if double ups are not acceptable, use Specific area models which have smaller bandwidth. We can provide you the suitable frequency shift option for your requirement . Please supply us, all your local radio station frequencies. We will run a program working out best suitable Band Expander. Third necessary compromise common to all FM Band Expander's amplification of desired FM Band frequencies which limits conversion gain to prevent car radio's tuner oscillating.

When tuner oscillate, reception is unpredictable. ( Amplification must be set to tuners tolerance, not to high or to low.)

Units cost from $25-$50 and fitting is fiddly - IF DONE PROPERLY.

Centre dash needs to come out, adapter cables sourced for Nissan Diversity antenna connections ($15-$30)

I'd prefer not to let them splice it in by cutting antenna lead assuming they get the right one.

$90 seems real good to me.

Personally, I'd check with Chris first. www.audioexpress.com.au

How much are these FM expander rougly costs ? anyone got there V35s Fm expander changed at Autobarn in moss st in Brisbane ? i have being quoted 90 dollars supplied and fitted.

like to see how they can do it for that. hell there is almost that in bits to do it right. if you want me to do it I'm a little bit more than that.

Hey Chris how much do you chrage to supply and fit FM expander ?

i bought my band expander off ebay and installed myself.total cost $30 and 2 hours of fiddling

result: not very impressed.

am reception is better than before.

fm reception is perfect on nova 96.9 (im in sydney)

all other fm stations exhibit drop outs,interference and station mixing (where 2 stations are heard on the on channel)

as i mainly listen to nova,im just gonna leave it.

My Possible casuses:

crappy bose headunit (unlikely)

nissan glass antenna (unlikely)

my install (unlikely)

cheap ass band expander (very probable)

• 2 weeks later...
i bought my band expander off ebay and installed myself.total cost $30 and 2 hours of fiddling

result: not very impressed.

am reception is better than before.

fm reception is perfect on nova 96.9 (im in sydney)

all other fm stations exhibit drop outs,interference and station mixing (where 2 stations are heard on the on channel)

as i mainly listen to nova,im just gonna leave it.

My Possible casuses:

crappy bose headunit (unlikely)

nissan glass antenna (unlikely)

my install (unlikely)

cheap ass band expander (very probable)

I have a smiliar issue, but I think that JJJ is the only FM station that has major drop out and station mixing (seems to be mixing with ABC TV somehow...), the rest seem pretty good. It's just a pity that I listen to JJJ :D

I was just wondering whether people on here get who have FM expander installed in their V35s and are getting bad reception on Nova station in Brisbane.

Becuase i seem to be getting really bad reception fuzzy noise and sometimes it cuts out is well.