SAU Community

Fitting Fm Radio Converter

wabbo69

not me, all stations work perfect :dry:

but mine was installed by the dealer i bought the car from before i picked it up so i have no idea what they used...

Could you ask what sort of expander your dealer used or who they used to install it ? cause my one is f**ked it getting shithouse reception.

The expander was installed by Chris. he changed it the other day but still it fuzzy so i thought maybe it just the car's antena.

so this is the same one that wazz has in his car (with the perfect reception)?

if so it must have to be the 2 antennas causing the sh$t reception.

this dual antenna setup has never caused this problem before in my previous r32 and r33,so whats the deal?

so this is the same one that wazz has in his car (with the perfect reception)?

if so it must have to be the 2 antennas causing the sh$t reception.

this dual antenna setup has never caused this problem before in my previous r32 and r33,so whats the deal?

Yeh that was what i was told iam still getting shit reception in Brisbane CBD ? so go figure who know ? it really pissing me off

How does this expander really works?

Eg converting the japanese 14 band wide 76 - 90 Mhz to suit intl 20 band wide 88-108 Mhz...

so if I want to listen to aussie's 101.1FM in Melbourne, on a std V35 japanese stereo I should tune so the display on the radio shows:

101.1 Mhz - base range 88 Mhz = 13.1 Mhz X 14/20 band converter = 9.17 Mhz + jap's base 76 Mhz = 85.17 Mhz or showing 86.15Mhz on the japanese radio

if it supports .05 fine tuning, or if not tune the japanese radio to 86.2 Mhz.

Is that how it works?

Managed to try 1 station, 101.1 Mhz Mix FM in Melbourne = 85.1Mhz on the Bose factory audio.

Tried to get 101.9 Mhz Fox FM, but nothing was heard on 85.9Mhz :-(

Will try again once I got the car started... the jump start cable wasn't long enough for bad position in the garage.

Managed to try 1 station, 101.1 Mhz Mix FM in Melbourne = 85.1Mhz on the Bose factory audio.

Tried to get 101.9 Mhz Fox FM, but nothing was heard on 85.9Mhz :-(

Will try again once I got the car started... the jump start cable wasn't long enough for bad position in the garage.

Had the band expander installed in Sydney last Monday. Worked great while I was there, got Nova 96.9, 104.9 and 106.5 easily, good clear signal although I was warned that reception can be fuzzy going through tunnel (which I did not get to try). Works great here in Canberra as well but I needed to manually tune the stations rather than using the auto seek function.

Installed by the mob where I got my car. It was part of the deal when I got the car so I don't really know how much they charge. Anyone interested should just talk to Chris or Bettina at 02 9542 4280. They're in Kirrawee. The guy who installed it took about 40 min., he didn't even have to take down the whole dash or pull out the head unit.

As far as I know they use the PB2000 expander which from what I can get from the net, has a built in booster. Works by expanding 10 and 20 Mhz. Weird set up, for stations below 100, subtract 10 to get the japanese dial. So for Nova 96.9, Bose radio would show 86.9. To get stations over 100, subtract 20 so 104.9 shows 84.9 on the dial. The expander does this automatically. Problem occurs if there is a double up, say there is a live station on both 96.9 and 106.9. Since 96.9 is below 100, it would normally be 86.9 on the dial which is the same as 106.9 (106.9-20 = 86.9). Rare, but it can happen, I think in this case you won't get any clear signal from both stations.