SAU Community

Oil Guage In R33

HotPlates

First question, is the oil guage in the R33 dash for pressure or temp? I thought it was pressure but know not sure.

The needle usually sits at just above the 1/4 mark once the car has warmed up. But it rises slowly to 1/2 way on the guage when the revs rise (say 4,000+ rpm), then drops again slowly to the 1/4 mark when at idle (eg. car stopped at traffic lights)

Is this normal?

Yes its normal and yes its your oil pressure

raises as the revs raise, also takes a while to settle when car is cold as you mentioned

halfway is 55psi if you convert it to psi

i would worry if it wouldnt go up with revs!

the factory gauge is also slow to react, so you see it go up and down kinda after the fact.

theyre also not all that consistent. i found mine has occasionally shown really low oil pressure, which of course is very concerning. i pull over, switch the car off and back on and the pressure shows fine again.

Edited by Munkyb0y

i use the stock oil temp gauge just for warm up purposes in the mornings etc, however when installing aftermarket oil temp and pressure gauges do you need a sandwich plate??

Please PM me answer as may not return to thread. hame

Mine sits at 1/4 way

Mine is around there too.

Don't think I have seen my raising up to 1/2 yet, then again, I don't rev much; most gear changes are done at ~2500-3000rpm.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

i use the stock oil temp gauge just for warm up purposes in the mornings etc

I use it as my oil change reminder... :banana:

noticed that with motul and elf oil, after 4000km or so I would drop 1 bar of pressure across the board when the oil was getting old. Eg normally would get 2 bar pressure at idle but that would drop to 1 bar when I was nearing my next change.

interestingly, i've done a full 5000km on nulon oil and the pressure hasn't budged a bit.

I use it as my oil change reminder... :)

noticed that with motul and elf oil, after 4000km or so I would drop 1 bar of pressure across the board when the oil was getting old. Eg normally would get 2 bar pressure at idle but that would drop to 1 bar when I was nearing my next change.

interestingly, i've done a full 5000km on nulon oil and the pressure hasn't budged a bit.

What's the viscosity of the Nulon though?