Xanavi Head Unit

webng

This is just from memory so it could be slightly wrong

push the TV button on the left panel near the bottom

on the screen push the far r/h button to scroll thru something like this

TV(auto) -> TV(manual) -> AV1 -> AV2 -> back to the start

any probs & I'll physically check

good luck!

correct, but AV2(called VTR2 I think) will not display unless something is plugged into it, you will probably need the original factory stereo to get a sound from AV1. Most modern head units have the input plug anyway, with far better sound than the clarion unit, and no need for band expanders.

This is just from memory so it could be slightly wrong

push the TV button on the left panel near the bottom

on the screen push the far r/h button to scroll thru something like this

TV(auto) -> TV(manual) -> AV1 -> AV2 -> back to the start

any probs & I'll physically check

good luck!

Looks good! Thanks!

correct, but AV2(called VTR2 I think) will not display unless something is plugged into it, you will probably need the original factory stereo to get a sound from AV1. Most modern head units have the input plug anyway, with far better sound than the clarion unit, and no need for band expanders.

Errr... Chook, correct me if I am wrong, but do you mean that we can leave original Xanavi Double DIN unit in place , replace only factory radio (strereo) and connect Xanavi Head unit to it ?

• 1 month later...
Errr... Chook, correct me if I am wrong, but do you mean that we can leave original Xanavi Double DIN unit in place , replace only factory radio (strereo) and connect Xanavi Head unit to it ?

That would be interesting... can that be done?

Do you mean that you want to use the AV inputs on the front of the xanavi and play this through an aftermarket headunit ? if someone could pin-out the right wires on the back it should be possible, as well as play cd's on the xanavi. But considering the low price of quality headunits with front inputs these days, it wouldnt be worth the hassle.

Do you mean that you want to use the AV inputs on the front of the xanavi and play this through an aftermarket headunit ? if someone could pin-out the right wires on the back it should be possible, as well as play cd's on the xanavi. But considering the low price of quality headunits with front inputs these days, it wouldnt be worth the hassle.

That's true. I thought there might be some use to replacing just the single-DIN radio/headunit, but I guess you would then lose the capability to control the 6-stacker in the boot... best then I guess to either do the TV conversion & take advantage of that LCD display (:(http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/St...Tv-t203961.html) or get rid of it altogether.

Edited by DaveB

On a related topic, in researching the connections on the back of the Xanavi centre-console unit itself, someone somewhere posted a pic' of the rear of the centre console Xanavi cluster on here a while back... does anyone have a link to it as I can't find it in a few different searches?

A stacker can't compare with an mp3-dvd head unit, not to mention the sound improvement over the factory head unit. Got rid of mine as soon as possible.

Dont know where that pic is, there are quite a few dozen wires going into back of the xanavi, did you want to compare the air-con connections ?

A stacker can't compare with an mp3-dvd head unit, not to mention the sound improvement over the factory head unit. Got rid of mine as soon as possible.

Dont know where that pic is, there are quite a few dozen wires going into back of the xanavi, did you want to compare the air-con connections ?

Actually I mainly wanted to know if the brackets for the Xanavi were the same as for the 3-DIN setup with the stand-alone climate control unit or if they were different. These are the brackets I mean (not sure if these are standard or Xanavi):

post-32445-1203184738_thumb.jpg

Actually I mainly wanted to know if the brackets for the Xanavi were the same as for the 3-DIN setup with the stand-alone climate control unit or if they were different. These are the brackets I mean (not sure if these are standard or Xanavi):

post-32445-1203184738_thumb.jpg

brackets are different as the exnavi unit is wider than the stock din size it is ofset to suit the exnavi.the ones u have in pic are 3 din ones.regards mike

brackets are different as the exnavi unit is wider than the stock din size it is ofset to suit the exnavi.the ones u have in pic are 3 din ones.regards mike

thanks Mike :laugh: I think you predicted early on that I'd end up swapping out my Xanavi

Ah, I am afraid, it's time for me to clarify something. What does actually Xanavi unit do ? Or, I think I'd better put it that way, where is the amplifier located (if you can call that thing "an amplifier") ? Does Xanavi have an built-in amplifier or single din stereo does the job ?

Basically, what I want to get, it's quite simple - I want to keep Xanavi unit and use it's LCD screen to play movies, use it for climate control system ,etc, but I also want to swap single-din stereo and put something better instead, probably even MP3/dvd player or just a good single-din stereo. I'd also like to keep existing functionality, as volume control, etc on a steering wheel.

Am I asking too much ? :cheers:

Ah, I am afraid, it's time for me to clarify something. What does actually Xanavi unit do ? Or, I think I'd better put it that way, where is the amplifier located (if you can call that thing "an amplifier") ? Does Xanavi have an built-in amplifier or single din stereo does the job ?

Basically, what I want to get, it's quite simple - I want to keep Xanavi unit and use it's LCD screen to play movies, use it for climate control system ,etc, but I also want to swap single-din stereo and put something better instead, probably even MP3/dvd player or just a good single-din stereo. I'd also like to keep existing functionality, as volume control, etc on a steering wheel.

Am I asking too much ? :cheers:

No amplifier, just a screen, aftermarket single din stereo will be a good upgrade. You will lose the ability to play CD's on the Xanavi and you might lose the functionality of the steering volume unless you are talentled with electronics and can integrate it with your aftermarket one somehow.

No amplifier, just a screen, aftermarket single din stereo will be a good upgrade. You will lose the ability to play CD's on the Xanavi and you might lose the functionality of the steering volume unless you are talentled with electronics and can integrate it with your aftermarket one somehow.

Losing an ability to play CDs on the Xanavi is not a big deal as a single din stereo will do the job, but I'd like to keep functionality on a steering weel. Ahhhrrr :cheers:

Just wonder if anyone managed to connect an aftermarket stereo and keep that functionality at the same time ?

Losing an ability to play CDs on the Xanavi is not a big deal as a single din stereo will do the job, but I'd like to keep functionality on a steering weel. Ahhhrrr :teehee:

Just wonder if anyone managed to connect an aftermarket stereo and keep that functionality at the same time ?

Reference on the ALPINE site. scroll down to ' Steering remote ready ', talks about using the factory steering buttons. http://www.alpine.com.au/support/glossary.asp

Is the head unit clarion ? Could be compatable with an aftermarket Clarion ?

Either way, if you talk to the right car sound people (not JB), it is highly likely you can keep them working.