SAU Community

Rb 25 Det Turbo Uninstall ... How To ?

mikes

hey guys looki im stuck and need to get my turbo off and fixed or replaced...

thing is ive never taken one off before...

im pretty sure its my turbo thats gone as i was blowing bucketloads of white smoke and the tone of my exhaust has changed somewhat..

just need some info as to how hard it is to take the thing off and if anyone has blown there turb up and knows what the symptoms are..

r33 gtst 96 m spec series 2

oil levels are fine no discolouration

water levels are fine

engine idles nicely

no taps or knocks

big amount of white smoke pours out exhaust when accelerateing under load or even just when turb comes on a little ..

. havent drove it just drove it back to a roadhouse as i was out of mobile signal range and this is all i have to go on..

nrma were absolutely useless , the guy had no idea dont think he d even seen a skyline engine before ??

if someone out there can help me out here or even give me a call 0401 426 924

im just wondering if i should try get the turbo out myself so i can take it to a shop for a rebuild or should i try get my car home to sydney and get it fixed there ???

turbo has done at least 123,000 ks . i am handy with a spanner but this is new to me .. always owned commodores up till 18 months ago when i bought my sky ...

ta

mike

0401 426 924

its not overly hard to do but for a first timer you'll get caught out a few times and it may take you forever. if you do it yourself tho you will learn a lot, and save some cash.

tools that you will need

complete socket kit (3/8 drive will do it)

spanner kit, with a 15/16mm spanner (the 15/16 is for the back water banjo bolt, its difficult to get to)

small 1/4 socket kit is also handy, for undoing the hose clamp on the turbo intake, plus the oil return hose clamp

Decent plyars for removing pinch clamps

thats really about it.

the process is, remove the cooler pipes/ crossover pipe, afm and airfilter, intake pipe off turbo.

then move onto the dump pipe, undo all the 13mm bolts holding the dump on, you'll have to get under the car and undo the front pipe at the cat also, remove this pipe and put it aside, unplug the o2 sensor and put that aside too.

then undo all the oil and water feed/returns, water will puiss everywhere, best to undo the back on, have a bucket under the car and let it drain for a while. undo the oil return at the block, when you pull the turbo off the manifold it will come off the block fitting.

last step is to undo the 4 nuts holding the turbo on, use a 17mm spanner and get em off. Then turbo can come out!

thanks a heap simon.. i am in two minds though about whether to leave it or to wait till tomorrow to get to a mechanic.. im pretty sure my turb has blown but not 100 per cent sure ?

would preferably like to get it all out myself as i do most of my other work , minor work but still i like to do what i can.. what are my options here if my turb is screwed ?? would u reccomend a rebuild or get a whole new one ??

thx m8

mike

yeah im screwed ! left my tools at home to minimize weight in my car on the trip.. never thought she would fail me !! been such a solid car !

ah well only option i have now is to find a good mechanic down here who wont rip me off ..

also i cant seem to find any info on what the exact part number for the standard r33 turbo is soi can start hunting some prices down ?.. any one know where i can find this out ?

The other source of white smoke would be head gasket failure. But since you have said there is no discolouration of the coolant and oil you can be fairly certain it is the water seal in the turbo. You could also try running the motor with the radiator cap off and check for a blown head asket that way.

It would be worth investigating a highflow turbo from GCG or similar company once the turbo is off. Or you could source a second hand one from these forums.

A mechanic will charge a fair bit esp if they dont know what they are doing or never have done it before, not only there will be a waiting period especially during this holiday seasonal period, if you have the opportunity get it stored somewhere and do it yourself honestly??.. First time removal/refit should take you round 6 hours giving stuff that may happen along the way, but as described best to source a 2nd hand one before you start to minimise the wait time.

radiator coolant was a little off colour not sure if this was because it was kind of old and dirty or i will look into right now .....also is the outcome of a blown head gasket , oil leaking into my water in the radiator?? would it be running so smoothly if the head had blown ??

power is not to much of an issue id be happy to have it back as it was .. a mildly tuned street car that i use for long drives and comfortable cruising.

yeah hey id love to get it home to do the work as im sure there would be someone out there who would come point me in the right direction , but in saying that i have to wait till tomorrow to go see a local fella here who is supposedly pretty good with performace setups of the turbo nature , but yeah i hear what your saying devils ... maybe i should just upgrade my nrma and get it towed home>??

worst holiday ending eva ..

what are the symptoms of a blown head gasket??

but definately oil is clean and fresh as it was the day i changed it. ill check out my radiator coolant right now.. lost a little bit as i have a hairline fracture in the top of my radiator . plus it was freakin hot yesterday down here too.. so in my hastiness i cracked the cap too early and lost a bit out the top then...

take cooler pipe off the turbo outlet, and also the rubber intake pipe, if there is oil pooling there, its another sure sign that the seals are stuffed.

I doubt very much it will be a HG, start it up and smell the smoke out the back, if it smells sweet, then its coolant burning, if it smells like burning oil, its prob turbo

hey guys check these pics and tell us wat u reckon.. thinkin your on the money simon .. be rare to blow a head gasket and turbo at the same time ??

i hope so !! geez id be so upset if both of em are screwed !!

anyway heres the pics...

sorry if they r a bit big ..

if i run the car with the radiator cap off what am i looking for in regards to a blown HG .. bubbles ??

100_1244.jpg

100_1242.jpg

100_1248.jpg

100_1241.jpg

whyowhy.jpg

yeah i did smell it .. that was one thing the nrma guy and his mate reckoned . they go yep thats burning oil smell .. ill sniff it again and double check ...

wouild the radiator bubble if my HG has gone?

the other thing i noticed is that the huge sound of air being sucked into the pod filter is pretty much gone now ??? turbo related ?

also i ran the car for a minute with the radiator cap off and nothing unusaul was happening .....admittedly im not 100 per cent sure what i was watching out for either..

also ..the smoke smell out the exhaust is kinda sour i guess ... not sweet , not to my nose anyway !

i have a stock turbo if you are intertested...it came of my car and was fine. its a little noisy. not sure how much life is left in it but i could do you till you decide what to tdo and at least you can drive your car around. mine came off due to HKS gtrs turbo upgrade...

if i can rustle up some tools i might have a crack at it but im lacking tools, space and proper knowledge so i may have to tow her home and take her down my buddies workshop..

unless i can turn up someone here in batemans bay with the know how , ill provide the part...

gotta wait till tomorrow to see whos open down here ... and if they can help me source a part for a not so astronomical price just so i can get home....

have to say a huge thanks to you guys eh for all the help ive recieved here ...

excellent forum, some good people here ..

makes me love my sky even more knowing there is such a big following behind them... that manual is very good .. big thanks lads ..

big big thanks indeed ..

regards mike