SAU Community

2008 F1 Season

wolverine

If discussing events and actions is being a hater, then i dont care. Tags dont bother me like they do others :blush: But when you are driving for McLaren or any other top team, people are watching and going to be critical.

It is a bit of an odd argument.

If kovi hadn't have moved over then McLaren would not have won the race.

So apart from the haters I don't know why anyone has an issue with it?

I dont have any real objection to how Heikki moved over. Heikki was clearly slower, Heikki isnt in the hunt for WDC and the positional change was not for a race win. So i dont have any objection to Lewis being let through. It would have been interesting if it was Heiiki leading and not PK Jr?!?! Or Heikki is on the same points as Kubica? But thats not the case so the move was the only sane thing to do.

What i find alarming is how Heikki cant get near Lewis over a race distance. Lewis has on occasion been far superior to both Ferraris, but on the same weekends Heikki cant beat the Ferraris let alone Lewis.

Its a big IF, but if Heikki is as good as everyone says, and how his qualifying efforts are brilliant etc in light of fuel loads, (i think Heikki went longer then Lewis again) then why is it he cant bring the car home in 2nd or 3rd? Fark, he got beat by PK Jr who came from the back fo the grid. Then if Heikki isnt getting the same support over the race weekend, and its affecting his race then thats where i think they need to be fair and label him a number 2. Simply because if its internal politics that means it is difficult for him to do wheel for wheel with Lewis, and is even possibly compromising his poerformances agaisnt the Ferraris then his reputation shoudlnt be taking a bashing because he cant get near Hamilton.

Personally, i think Lewis is simply better, but not to anywhere near the level we are seeing on most weekends. If Heikki is clearly that far off the race pace of Lewis then they need to be looking for a new recruit for that seat.

Out of interest. Does anyone know where to get the 5 fastest laps of each GP we have had this year?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If discussing events and actions is being a hater, then i dont care. Tags dont bother me like they do others :blush: But when you are driving for McLaren or any other top team, people are watching and going to be critical.

I dont have any real objection to how Heikki moved over. Heikki was clearly slower, Heikki isnt in the hunt for WDC and the positional change was not for a race win. So i dont have any objection to Lewis being let through. It would have been interesting if it was Heiiki leading and not PK Jr?!?! Or Heikki is on the same points as Kubica? But thats not the case so the move was the only sane thing to do.

What i find alarming is how Heikki cant get near Lewis over a race distance. Lewis has on occasion been far superior to both Ferraris, but on the same weekends Heikki cant beat the Ferraris let alone Lewis.

Its a big IF, but if Heikki is as good as everyone says, and how his qualifying efforts are brilliant etc in light of fuel loads, (i think Heikki went longer then Lewis again) then why is it he cant bring the car home in 2nd or 3rd? Fark, he got beat by PK Jr who came from the back fo the grid. Then if Heikki isnt getting the same support over the race weekend, and its affecting his race then thats where i think they need to be fair and label him a number 2. Simply because if its internal politics that means it is difficult for him to do wheel for wheel with Lewis, and is even possibly compromising his poerformances agaisnt the Ferraris then his reputation shoudlnt be taking a bashing because he cant get near Hamilton.

Personally, i think Lewis is simply better, but not to anywhere near the level we are seeing on most weekends. If Heikki is clearly that far off the race pace of Lewis then they need to be looking for a new recruit for that seat.

Out of interest. Does anyone know where to get the 5 fastest laps of each GP we have had this year?

Sorry Roy, I wasn't having a go at you. It is just that it appears that everytime LH does anything at all someone will kick the crap out of him for it. Half the time it isn't even him doing it.

I think that if HK was leading then Hamilton would have had to take the place from him, not be gifted it. HK is only on about 24 points - half that of the leaders. He is why McLaren are only third in the constructors.

Personally I hate (fkn haterz) all the tippy toeing about driver orders. They have always been a part of F1. To pretend otherwise is just insulting everyones intelligence.

The fastest laps are on the F1 website. Looks like Kimi has that shot to bits.

Australian Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.418

Malaysian Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1:35.366

Bahrain Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:33.193

Spanish Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:21.670

The land of goat sphincter rings Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:26.506

Monaco Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:16.689

Canadian Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:17.387

French Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:16.630

British Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:32.150

German Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1:15.987

HOLY ...! Kimi has not been able to turn that pace into results :blush:

Be interesting to see on weekends where Lewis has beaten the Ferraris convincingly, whether Heikki was on the ball at all. About the only one that is obvious there is the OZ GP where Heikki did get shafted by the racing gods

Planet f1 is your friend.

lol, bit late though wasnt it?

lol! http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3851130,00.html

'Hamilton nearly crashed into the Safety Car'

Tuesday 22nd July 2008

Lewis Hamilton came within inches of crashing out of the German GP behind the Safety Car, it has been revealed.

While the deployment of the Safety Car nearly wrecked Hamilton's hopes of victory, causing a procession to become a dramatic charge to regain the lead of the race, it also nearly made a literal wreck of his McLaren.

The Independent claims that, in an incident missed by the television cameras, Hamilton 'almost came a cropper behind the safety car on the 41st lap, just before the race was restarted.

'He was following safety car driver Bernd Maylander through the stadium section of the track. At the exit of the Sachskurve Hamilton backed off a little to create some space between his car and the safety car as the latter was naturally unable to negotiate the kink before the final two corners at the same speed as the F1 machinery,' the newspaper reports.

'Hamilton then put his foot down again and accelerated just as Maylander slowed down - and eyewitnesses report that Lewis just managed to avoid impact with the rear end of the Mercedes-Benz. It was very close indeed, and those same witnesses report that there were literally only inches to spare.'

Hamilton has encountered difficulties behind the Safety Car before, most notably last October when his 'erratic' driving behind it during the Japanese GP was cited as the reason why Sebastian Vettel crashed into Mark Webber.

However, on Sunday in Hockenheim it was the Safety Car's instant eradication of the lead he had steadily built up over Massa that troubled the McLaren driver. "It is a rule they [the FIA] should have a look at," he mused before admitting that he couldn't think of a better solution in such circumstances.

Edited by [Michael]

LOL, i love how you dont even entertain the idea that it is possible :rofl: I would be surprised if it was as close as they are saying, but i wouldnt be surprised that he did have to dive on the brakes to miss the pace car.

The FIA really need to police the speed and behaviour of cars under the safety, far too mcuh darting around and beside one another. I understand they need to keep temp in the tyres and brakes, but they should not be pulling alongside one another.

Best solution is no darting up and back, side to side behind the pace car. Remove the pace car then allow the drivers a lap of no overtaking and getting heat into the tyres and brakes and then a rolling start accross the start finish line ie Indycar style.

This removes all the darting behind the pace car for the laps its out there, then gives the drivers a finite window to get heat into the things then introduces chaos on the restart as drivers do the rolling start

lol

adam can i please have some of that magic juice which makes you able to see everything?

Yeah there is no way possible that could happen, i mean he is just awesome behind safety cars :thumbsup:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

And that race is when I really started to dislike hamilton.. didn't contribute to the acco my arse!

lol

adam can i please have some of that magic juice which makes you able to see everything?

Its magic herbs Mike, get it right and you should see the view from here, LOL.

Seriously, that report was just speculation. There is no photographic or pictorial evidence to support the rumour.

I'm not going to waste oxygen on baseless conjecturing.

Even if it did happen, there was no accident although i do completely agree with Roy that there needs to be stricter guidelines on the way drivers behave under the safety car.

I seem to recall a seven times world champion among many others making the same mistake in a massive way.

Lets single Hammo out why don't we? After all, its not like theres a reason to talk badly about other drivers, is there?

They dont make mistakes after all....