SAU Community

Tein Super Street Coilovers

Antone

http://www.otomoto.com.au/HDSystems/

end.

Awesome coilover!

Not many poeple use it.. so no one will vouch for it but me.. just thought id throw it on there..

food for thought..

quite a few people run these for drift and even for the road, especially in silvias, personally id go the teins any day of the week, ive heard good and bad things about tein, been in a few cars with them, driven one with them in, but never really been able to push the car so cant really comment on them besides what ive heard, but thats what id go with. personally for the road i cant understand why people are so worried about height adjustment, damper adjustment etc, but if thats what ur after then go for it i guess, they just seem unnecessarily hard for something thats intended to be used around the streets in built up areas.

what about cusco zero-2 or HKS performer?

Which one is better for the GTR32 using for street only....

I had tein on my Chaser and it crap (makes too much noise).

Roy im just basing legal/illegal on that Fulcrum advised me over the phone that "only the Australian super street coilover is legal for Australian Roads" and they didn't want to sell me any other coilover for street use.

I am basing that the bilstein system (group buy shocks etc) are legal because I'm pretty sure Sydney Kid has stated that some where on here and im sure he would have a pretty good idea.

I might not be right hence why i said - not 100% sure. If anyone is worried about the legal issues of running an aftermarket shock/spring system they would be advised to research the issue with vicroads or their local transport office. No one should take what is typed on a forum as "legal specifications".

personally for the road i cant understand why people are so worried about height adjustment, damper adjustment etc, but if thats what ur after then go for it i guess, they just seem unnecessarily hard for something thats intended to be used around the streets in built up areas.

Well depends how serious you take your driving I suppose..

Alot of people dont bother and just buy coilovers "cos their better".

I do alot of spirited driving through the twisties so the ajustability is quite good to cancel out the over/under steer.

Also, at the same if you do track days.. how seriously do you take them? Its not difficult or time consuming changing damper ajustement.. so its on the softest setting for day to day driving.. and then 6 or 8 clicks and its good to go.. Change spring rates for serious events if you want too..

Id recommend coilovers to someone that does do these things.. or else a good spring and shockie combination should do fine.. Alturnatively.. Nismo progressives are absolutely aweseome aswell.. My old man has them.. Briliant ride quality and comfort.. and then when you really stick it into corners you can feel the coil starting to get more dificult to compress.. works a treat and a fantastic trade off!

Well depends how serious you take your driving I suppose..

Alot of people dont bother and just buy coilovers "cos their better".

I do alot of spirited driving through the twisties so the ajustability is quite good to cancel out the over/under steer.

Also, at the same if you do track days.. how seriously do you take them? Its not difficult or time consuming changing damper ajustement.. so its on the softest setting for day to day driving.. and then 6 or 8 clicks and its good to go.. Change spring rates for serious events if you want too..

Id recommend coilovers to someone that does do these things.. or else a good spring and shockie combination should do fine.. Alturnatively.. Nismo progressives are absolutely aweseome aswell.. My old man has them.. Briliant ride quality and comfort.. and then when you really stick it into corners you can feel the coil starting to get more dificult to compress.. works a treat and a fantastic trade off!

i use my adjustable sway bars to balance the car (aka dealing with under/oversteer), using adjustable damper, especially in the cheaper coilovers to balance the car like that isnt a good idea imo.

The problem with adjusting a car's handling balance with damper adjustments is they only work in transients, meaning, if you've got midconer understeer, shocks aren't really doing to do much about it.

Then you've also go the problem of the shocks being single adjustables, so they either only adjust bump, or rebound, or they adjust both in a locked step for both. This becomes really tricky because what if you want more bump, but winding it up means you've got too much rebound and you start lifting a wheel?

I also havn't been able to find a manufacturer that will actually state what their adjuster adjusts, makes it intersting when you don't know what you're adjusting.

Also, at the same if you do track days.. how seriously do you take them? Its not difficult or time consuming changing damper ajustement.. so its on the softest setting for day to day driving.. and then 6 or 8 clicks and its good to go.. Change spring rates for serious events if you want too.

So your assumption is that ALWAYS you need to adjust the shocks firmer for the track? What if the track is bumpy, such as Oran Park? Will you get faster lap times if you simply increase both front and rear damping? What if rear traction is the problem and the shocks only adjust rebound damping (very common)? Isn't that going to amplify the lack of rear traction because the shock simply slows down the reaction of the tyre to the bump, it doesn't return fast enough after absorbing the impact?

What if you want more roll control AND more straight line traction at the same time? The most common of track situations. How does adjusting the rebound damping help with those issues? The simple answer is it can't, doesn't and never will.

Ask any suspension engineer and we will tell you, swaybars are the best way to adjust the handling balance of a car. That's why most circuit race cars have driver adjustable swaybars.

Cheers

Gary

• 9 months later...

I was thinking about buying a set of Tein SS Jap spec for my BNR32. Can i just buy the Coil-Over or I need a wheel aligment after? other suspension parts?

I'm on a tight budget and I'm more into ''showcar'' than race. I daily-drive my car 95% of the times!( But I might start lapping next season) I'm currenctly running Spring which drop my car by like 1 inch and I would like my GTR lower than that..

Is there another cheaper alternative than buying a set of Coil-over to get a 2 inch drop?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Although I don't have experience with any other brands of coil-overs, I have Jap spec Superstreets on my 33 gts-t and am happy with them. They make a little bit of noise (nothing worth worrying about) ride is fine, can be harsh on some bumps but hey. Not many aftermarket mods have no side effects (Roads here aren't perfect but they certainly aren't bad).

They also seem to have some support if you require repairs on them. My vote says there is better out there. However they are a very good option for their price.

Luke

I have a 32 GTR with Tein Monflex coilovers. They are a lot dearer than Tein S/S but are well worth the extra you pay.

If you are looking for compromise between track and street then these are a good option.

My car is set up for track, and i,ll admit doesn't do as many track days as it should, but still sees a reasonable amount of street use.

On the street i set the EDFC on the softest setting and the car is great (don't need a kidney belt).

However the whole balance of the car comes down to the bars, and the EDFC just allows a little more comfort when the car is not at the track, as well as allowing adjustment on the day-depending on the track and the conditions, tyres ETC.

If you are street driven over 90% of the time and set the car up so, you have a lot on your plate trying to adapt the car at the track - it really needs to be the other way round.

To be honest most of the cars i see these days that have had suspension mods done (unless they are serious) look like bouncing bricks on the road (and very uncomfortable as well).

If your streeting most of time go for a softer bar and coilover setup - and your ride will pay you back in kind, however if you want to run at the track - then spend the money and live with a little less comfort on the street.

Cheers!