SAU Community

Triple Or Twin Plate Clutches

Adz2332

I havent come across any Nismo triples.......

but i've got a Nismo twin in my car (with Nismo slave cyl) Its more progressive tham the ORC twin that was in it. Its also completey silent at all times, the ORC ratled its brains out when the clutch was depressed. I kept getting 'geez whats wrong with your car mate' commments all the time :wave:

You still know youve got a twin though, it certainly doesnt slip, but you still can get the occasional shudder, the less time spent on the clutch the better....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just about had a guts full of the clutch... thinking of ripping it out and getting a heavy single...

Give it a month and I'm confident you'll be used to it... seriously :P It's not a cheap exercise to go through, so give yourself a while to adjust.

took me at least a few hundred kms to get used to the ORC twin plate in mine but not I love it..

Ive found with newer multi plate clutches it takes a while to become more driver friendly, even after the recommended bedding in period it still gets 'softer' over time. Or maybe its my left leg getting stronger.

But I must say even though i have no problems with it now, I still find I have to concentrate on steep slopes. And although its good most of the time, when you're stuck in the morning traffic crawl at 7.30am it can be a real pain.

yea mate.. i had an HKS tripple plate in mine.... it behaved exactly the same..

then it also broke my gearbox lols... soo that's been removed now

but yea.. it took a little while to get used to.. good for the track or drag

but wouldnt recommend it for the street.

yea mate.. i had an HKS tripple plate in mine.... it behaved exactly the same..

then it also broke my gearbox lols... soo that's been removed now

I'm in the market for a new clutch, and this topic has sorta come in handy.

I hear all this 'rated at 600hp' clutches, and some people saying that they last ages with the odd 'It blew up after a few launches'. Now would this '600hp rated' clutch be aimed at rwd or fwd cars? I was thinking about it today, and with the GT-R being awd it would cause more stress with the clutch. So lets say hypothetically I have a 600hp GTR and I'm using this so called '600hp rated' clutch, I would most likely be putting stress of say a 700-800hp GTS-T using this 600hp clutch on the R?

The last thing I want to happen is for my gearbox to break, and I had in mind of purchasing a triple plate OS or Carbonetic clutch of some description that would be semi bulletproof for now. However, then I'd be putting more stress on the gearbox I would assume using this clutch, so maybe I should downgrade and find a good twin plate instead?

I currently have a twin plate of an unknown description installed by the previous owner, and I've probably done a bit over 10 hard launches in it to date (don't know how long previous owner had clutch in for and how he drove it) and now it's so rooted that I can't even daily drive it now.

My R will probably put out ~450-500hp atw by the end of this year I'm assuming, and I want a clutch that is gearbox friendly. Suggestions? Would strengthening 1st-2nd gears be a good option if I went triple plate?

I'd go a OS Giken or Nismo twin plate. They've got the best reputation on here in jap twin plates specs, in terms of holding the power vs gearbox stress.

No point going a triple plate - a twin will handle the power fine and be what you'd call bulletproof, with less strain on the box (with that power, take it easy into third... it still might blow though, some get lucky others don't). I've done 18,000kms in my car with 415hp and numerous launches.. no dramas here (with an ORC twin, but due to a crap friction point location, I wouldn't go the ORC next time)

Edited by TommO

harden up and get used to it :(

Mate if i was using the car on the track or dragging it yes id "Harden up and get used to it" but its my daily driver and crawling through heavy trafic it doesnt make for a nice drive. And of late i have been using one of my other cars insted of the R and i soooo shouldnt!

Hey just bought a GTR 33 and its either got a twin or triple plate clutch in it.....

I hate it with a passion!!

Its noisy, makes terriable *Ting* sounds etc etc

Its hard to get used to... You let the clutch out slowly.. nothing nothing nothing nothing then ALL the clutch is fully out... theres no play in it or riding the clutch....

Does anyone else have one? Whats your thoughts?

Are they put in for big horse power aplications? is that the reason... cos i hate it!

I had a HKS Twin Plate in my GTR, it came with it and I thought wow sweet! BUT

It made this 'tearing' sound when I push the clutch pedal down, thats the 2 plates rattling and thats normal. You can't ride the a twin/triple, the more you do the more you wear it out.

Twin/triple plates are designed so you can launch you car at 4000, 4500, 5000 RPM if not higher. Its either IN or OUT. So race applications.

If you still want the twin/triple plate, you can get a 'milder one' to give you abit more flexibility for everyday driving, but still no good in the long run.

When my HKS one was worn out its was burnt, you coulds see bits of clutch/ash all around it.

Twin/triples are not designed for everyday use so I went back to a stock Nissan GTR R32 clutch, which my mechanic ordered from a NSW local Nssan dealer and the flywheel had to come from Japan, which took about 2 weeks or less. Installed everything, tighten up the gearbox and the nightmare was over. :(

Just under $4000 all fitted ready to go. Also I had a larger dump pipe fitted and a high flow cat.

If ya R33 is a daily driver then either switch it back to the stock plate or put a heavy duty single plate in.

Edited by (00)SKYLINE(00)

I'm in the market for a new clutch, and this topic has sorta come in handy.

I hear all this 'rated at 600hp' clutches, and some people saying that they last ages with the odd 'It blew up after a few launches'. Now would this '600hp rated' clutch be aimed at rwd or fwd cars? I was thinking about it today, and with the GT-R being awd it would cause more stress with the clutch. So lets say hypothetically I have a 600hp GTR and I'm using this so called '600hp rated' clutch, I would most likely be putting stress of say a 700-800hp GTS-T using this 600hp clutch on the R?

The last thing I want to happen is for my gearbox to break, and I had in mind of purchasing a triple plate OS or Carbonetic clutch of some description that would be semi bulletproof for now. However, then I'd be putting more stress on the gearbox I would assume using this clutch, so maybe I should downgrade and find a good twin plate instead?

I currently have a twin plate of an unknown description installed by the previous owner, and I've probably done a bit over 10 hard launches in it to date (don't know how long previous owner had clutch in for and how he drove it) and now it's so rooted that I can't even daily drive it now.

My R will probably put out ~450-500hp atw by the end of this year I'm assuming, and I want a clutch that is gearbox friendly. Suggestions? Would strengthening 1st-2nd gears be a good option if I went triple plate?

Nismo twin plate coppermix. I ran the old version of this in my GTS4 as a daily driver. Its streetable enough to drive in traffic with your mum in the car and she won't complain about your driving... if that makes sense. I guess I mean they are very smooth, and easily comparable to a stock pedal pressure. Compare to a mates 500hp single plate, my nismo gmax twin plate was a dream to drive.

As for handling power, well 4500 rpm launches at 20lb boost with antilag, spinning all 4 wheels through 1st gear and breaking 2nd loose as well with around 375awhp. It took that kind of abuse easily.

Hey Adz,

I bought my GTR back in August. I has an OS Giken twin plate in it. Now I've been driving stick shifts all my life and I'm nearly 40. I was so surprised that it took me a month to drive it smooth. Mine doesn't rattle, but sure engages fast. Your foot just gets used to it. I don't even have to think about it now. I was the same as you at first, really hating hills and worring at stop lights with lots of traffic.

Now, I drive mine daily including a stop and go through a couple blocks of bad traffic in the daily commute. Hang in there and hopefully you just have to train your clutch foot.

Good luck.

Edited by Pezhead

i have a nismo Gmax twin plate. No noise/ratle from it at all and its nice and easy to use, can slip it abit no worries. was abit on the bitey side when i first put new plates in it but didnt take long to get use to it.