SAU Community

Turbo Noises

HR31DRFT

Hey as the topic says, my turb has seen better days i think...????

Well say 10psi boost and it makes a kind of screaming noise, now it has changed 2 like a loud suction, its like i have removed the fire wall and have my ear near the pod. The sound of spooling up has got really loud...

I think it is stuffed but still creates power fine??????

Any suggestions or has this happened 2 any1 else...? :wave:

STD 25 turb

In between engine build atm rb30/26

mine made a whistling noise that was a dodgy exhaust gasket.

Still made good power, but frustrating.

Unfortunately lots of stuff has to come off to replace the gasket

mine was on 12psi and started to make a sqealing noise when it hit boost hard, i put it back on 7 psi and it does the same thing, been like that for a few months though, wouldnt worry bout it too much, just take it easy.

mine made a whistling noise that was a dodgy exhaust gasket.

Still made good power, but frustrating.

Unfortunately lots of stuff has to come off to replace the gasket

Mine was exactly the same! First thing I thought of when i read your thread!

best was i could describe it is it sounds like a "scream"

Good luck!

Mine was exactly the same! First thing I thought of when i read your thread!

best was i could describe it is it sounds like a "scream"

Good luck!

Was it constant or only when it was on boost?

Yeh i do notice the exhaust manifold gasket is slightly leaking, so i'm guessing that under load this is the reason for the "SCREAMING" hehe

Appreciate the feedback boys ! :):wave:

Am i better off getting a gen exhaust manifold gasket from nissan? Also while i'm taking this apart will i need 2 purchase other gaskets? sorry never taken off a turb b4, but game 2 do it.

the scream on boost is usually the gasket/s.

any of the 3.

block to manifold

manifold to turbo

turbo to dump pipe

most of the time, you'll find that you're missing bolts/nuts off their.

especially if it still the original turbo it came with.

have a quick inspection.

you will need to remove the heat shield (if it's still there).

it is only a few bolts (spray them with WD40 30 minutes before removing them if you intend to put the shield back on otherwise they will probably snap)

do it when the car is cold obviously.

once the shield is off, you will be able to see the nuts/bolts for all of the locations I said above, except maybe the bottom dump pipe bolts.

if they are all there, see if you can "GENTLY" tighten them any more than they are.

they may be loose, and tightening them slightly might be enough to stop the leak between the gasket.

gaskets are cheap (about $30 for the kit) but expect to pay over $300 to a mechanic to get them all replaced as it is a turbo off job and takes a few hours.

if you can do it yourself, then it will cost you $30 for gaskets, $30 for beer, $2.30 for dettol, $1.95 for pack of band aids.

hope you're not a hand model either..

make sure people who don't like cursing are not around.

Was it constant or only when it was on boost?

Not under boost but when she starts spooling the scream comes "A-a-rgghhhh!!!" Sounds like a jet engine.

Edited by HR31DRFT

GTST, mate u speak my lingo !

Sweet just got off the phone from nissan $90 for the EMG :wave: lil pricy

Probly do all gaskets when i'm there, will take heat shield off tonight, turn a few bolts and listen for any differance in the noise. Cuz it would change, by decreasing the gap btween manifold-block.

Resulting in a diagnose, being EMG or not... = next gasket and so on...

Edited by HR31DRFT

GTST, mate u speak my lingo !

Sweet just got off the phone from nissan $90 for the EMG :P lil pricy

Probly do all gaskets when i'm there, will take heat shield off tonight, turn a few bolts and listen for any differance in the noise. Cuz it would change, by decreasing the gap btween manifold-block.

Resulting in a diagnose, being EMG or not... = next gasket and so on...

only problem with that is you're trying to work on a hot engine unless you do it over several days.

btw when I got mine fixed, my mechanic recommended that I put new exhaust manifold studs in - this may be BS, but while it's all apart...

i would agree, and be surprised if there is not at least one or two broken ones anyway - I had 3 snapped studs and managed to snap 2 more in replacing them all, WD40 and Bandaids are your friend.

GTST's post hits the nail on the head!

"IDEALY"

if removing manifold/turbo/exhaust, you'd replace all the studs and bolts with new STAINLESS items and also get the little "LOCK" things that come stock.

it basically is like a washer with claws that go on AFTER the nut, and holds it in place.

also, working on the hot engine is a pain, but at least the dettol and band aids will be worth the purchase

Bit of a update, went home yesty and cooled her rite off and noticed this...

1 of the EMG studs have been snapped off.

2 of the turbo bolts were holding it on, 1 was gone and the other was at half thread.

So yeh got another bolt and re-tightened the turbo, And manifold...

ARRGGGHHH god damn bolt snappers.

:D

No noise and back boosting big guns

Edited by HR31DRFT