SAU Community

G'day, I'm New Around These Parts. Need Help

studricho

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee the tail shaft guy was quick. Called me today and he said it was ready. I only dropped off the uni's and measurements to him yesterday at about 11am. He called me at 10.30 am to let me know it was done...

Anyway, tail shaft in and I made a new clutch pipe from the clutch cylinder to the slave and clutch is working. I also picked up some VYSS 17" rims and tires. 2 tires are nearlly new and the other 2 need replacing. There's a few scratches of the rims, but for $320 for the set, how do you complain?

dscf3648nj9.jpg

Here's a sneak peak at what it looks like on...I should be able to drive the car out of the shed under it's own power. That is progress. Can you tell that I'm excited?

I wasn't sure at first, but I really like the rims and the colour now...you like?

The sparky has finished his work under the bonnet, so now I can start doing whatever I need in the engine bay.

The car drove very well and smooth. There was also tire skip and I think it's due to the old rack up front that's stuffed.

I can't get over how good the car looks and how close it is to being finished....

And the picture....

dscf3653ls9.jpg

• 1 month later...
so I met a guy a week or two ago who had an RB30ET under the bonnet of his torana. I'll see if I can grab you some pics.

That would be great.

Smallish update..I'm going hammer and tong to get this car all done before December. The exhaust is getting done along with the inter cooler pipes.

The car is booked in for the brake lines to be made and fitted.

A question regarding exhaust system.

3 inch from turbo to hi flow cat and then 2.5 inch to the tip. Does that sound right?? Apparently if I go 3 inch back from the cat it will be very droney in the car..I don't want that at all...

I'll do a search now..

That would be great.

Smallish update..I'm going hammer and tong to get this car all done before December. The exhaust is getting done along with the inter cooler pipes.

The car is booked in for the brake lines to be made and fitted.

A question regarding exhaust system.

3 inch from turbo to hi flow cat and then 2.5 inch to the tip. Does that sound right?? Apparently if I go 3 inch back from the cat it will be very droney in the car..I don't want that at all...

I'll do a search now..

If you do a 2.5 inch catback that would be a big restriction considering the 3 inch dump/front pipe and 3 inch cat. If you are worried about drone i would just install a mid muffler between the cat and the rear muffler. Wont be a problem then.

After some searching and reading it seems that is the way to go. I'll see if I can get a video of exhaust on car on thursday, depends on my mate as my editing/uploading skills suck.

I'm so keen to drive this car..Even if it's stock, it will be so much fun..

are you staying with the side mount IC? if so you may want to figure a way to duct some cold air to it

even stock as it is it should be pretty quick and do some nice skids hehe... have you done anything in the brakes dept.?

great project, good luck with the rest of it and post more pics damnit!

NickR33, I was thinking of making something up to scoop the cold air for IC. Just let me get the thing regietred first. The car brakes are drums all round. I have replaced the linings with new ones...just kidding.

The brakes are massive. 4 wheel disc, vented discs up front and VL turbo master cylinder..

Some pictures of the work in progress..

dscf3789qc3.jpg

Making the rats nest tidy again...

dscf3795gp0.jpg

You can see the wires crossing from RB25 harness to the UC harness. I still need to sort out the tacho..

dscf3796pc2.jpg

What is different about this dash?

dscf3801ls3.jpg

The size difference between the R33 charcoal canister and the UC.

dscf3804er0.jpg

Picked up the car from exhaust shop. It sounds really nice. Not loud at all. A slight rumble...

dscf3803ov7.jpg

Some interior pictures. It was done about 10 years ago and really bad back then. It's fallen apart, so it will have to do until funds permit getting some fresh stuff done. The head lining, door tops and around the quarter windows are newish.

I have some spare trims that I can get redone once funds permit...we all know about this..

Cause it's pink? I like riding a pink 250 track bike and passing bigger bikes on the turns...very funny stuff as they try and catch you.

Your bike is pink? I'm just stirring you up. Looks like it's all coming together nicely though! top stuff.

I managed to get some work done under the car ready for the brake guys tomorrow.

I've taken some pictures so you guys could the amount of work that has gone into this car...

dscf3840ym1.jpg

Here you can see the 9 inch diff, boxed in control arms, new bushes and heavy duty lowered springs.

dscf3841tc8.jpg

Here's a picture of the fuel pump set up. It was taken from a donor VL years ago. It clears all moving suspension parts and I did this set up in my single car garage..was not fun I can tell you. I need to chase up the new link pins/bushes for the rear sway bar.

dscf3844tr6.jpg

Another pump picture set up.

dscf3847fe1.jpg

Picture of the heavy duty tail shaft and the exhaust system.

dscf3848xn0.jpg

Rear UC calipers and HZ disc and HZ reaction flange. Calipers have been rebuilt, new hoses, new pads and the discs machined. The springs and shocks were a second set from ebay. the rear sits about 15 higher than I want and I'd like to change to pedders sports riders down the track. Also having them painted the same colour as the car will be on my to do later list.

dscf3854mr4.jpg

Another rear shot showing detail under car..It will be weird when this car is done and registered..What will I do then? Drive it...

Well it seems I have brakes now. Picking up the car tomorrow and I'm so glad that I decided to get these guys to do the lines and sort out all the brakes. The guy working on the my car owns a LX hatch. He work is very neat and loves a challenge. I still don't know how the hell he got the brake line between the fire wall and the engine.

He also kept me posted and asked me to come down to make sure I was happy with his work and what he was up too.

Anyway some pictures...

dscf3858yd8.jpg

Here you can see just how close the master cylinder is to the inlet manifold. He used a banjo bolt with a flexible hose down to a custom bracket welded on the chassis under the guard. He made sure nothing will touch.

dscf3861zl3.jpg

Brake line from L/H rear wheel.

dscf3862lq0.jpg

He used the breather hole to support the new splitter and swap the diff breather to the other side.

dscf3872fx7.jpg

Picture of the type of flexible lines used for the front brakes.

dscf3870ov6.jpg

Here's the brake line from the L/H front. You can see that he used a special clip fitting for the hose to line connection.

dscf3867uf8.jpg

Just a random picture of the inter cooler and how it fits under the guard/rail.

I also picked up my brand new gearbox speedo drive unit for a mechanical speedo drive.

lookin f**king awesome!!!!! u gotta take some vids and more pics to keep us up to date.

Work on the car has come to a huge stop at the moment. I just had back surgery on the 25/11/08 and I won't be able to touch the car until mid January. I was going for it to get it all done before I have the operation, but once I found out that I couldn't drive the car until mid/late January I have left it.

Operation went well and I was back on my feet the next day and home the day after. I just want to make sure that my back is 100% before playing with car again.

I'm so keen to drive this car. I saw a whole group of Skylines near my place and I was thinking if it was people from here. I also imagine cruising in the future with you guys (if you don't mind).

So bloody close now....so close.

• 1 month later...

Update 11/01/09

The plan is to have the car registered by the 26/01/09, so that only gives about 2 weeks.

My back is at a really good place at the moment which allows me to work hard and fast. I still need to be careful with any bending.

Anyway, this what we (I had help) have done..

-Clean and painted tappet covers

-New tappet cover rubbers

-Painted the coil cover

-Starting running wires from headlights to inside the car

-Cut and shut the VL fan shroud to fit

There little ugly things still in the engine bay, but that can be later. That aint gunna stop the car getting registered..

Sparky is coming tomorrow morning and getting stuck into it.

Some pictures..

dscf3960nn8.jpg

dscf3959mq0.jpg

Hey, what year was the half cut skyline you bought? i have a 1996 R33 GTS-T and need a right hand headlight because of a F***ING Roo... just wondering if you could help me out with a cheaper way than the crash repairers are quoting me. cheers.