Making Turbo Manifold Collector

mix200

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i just got one peice of straight pipe and cut a really acute angle in it then flipped it 180 degrees. you then weld that piece together and cut the pointy end off. repeat that twice (was once for my 4 cyl) and then cut the pairs to fit into one. if you take your time and have a good welder you will come up with a top manifold. i think mine took me around three days!

im interested to know how you cut down the pipe, not across it if u get me, i think that might be what your talking baout mix200? the long cut that runs down the pipe that gives you a smooth merge between all the incoming pipes before the turbo flange?

you can buy the collector pipes pre cut from a mob in the states - i'll see if i can find the link

have seen people get the same diameter pvc pipe to run test cuts til they got the angles right, the transfer to the steel

my thoughts on cutting process would be a simple horizontal bandsaw and a jig.

well i asked Kyle (6boost) and he does says you cant do them by hand, you need a mill with an indexing head at the least.... i still plan on attempting it in some way, dunno how you would get it into a bandsaw though Craved?

they way i would do it is with a pipe cutter stand (for drill press) mounted on a horizontal band saw .. 2 cuts per piece - stand clamps and sets up the angle for the cut - remember this is for a 4 cyl and the cutting is alot simpler than the 6 pipes of kyles manifolds

i have seen people make these collectors without mills after lots of trial an error using PVC pipe.

• 2 weeks later...

use a vice and a hacksaw

i would also recommend making a jig to hold all ur flanges in place

if u dont want to make a jig weld a rod from the cylinder head flange to the turbo flange to hold the turbo flange where u want and work ur way from there

show us a pic of the collector, thats what he wants to know how to cut. also what will you do to fill the gap between the 3rd and 4th pieces on the second runner? just weld or cut a bt of pipe on an angle so its like a half moon shape then slot that in there?

how much did raw materials cost approx for that mani also?

when u cut the steam pipe on a angle cut the side of the steam pipe (wall) cuting str8 down the steam pipe at a sharpe angle is very hard

the gap between will be filled up with weld

once u have all ur runers cut and tacked all together u will need to remove the runers of the flange which means grinding of the tacks which hold them to the flange plate then weld each runner one by one, the reason why u cant weld every thing together on the jig is because u just dont have enough room to get the tig in there so u weld each runner together on there own and then once they are all done join them all together on the jig

raw materials

cylinder head flange = $40

turbo flange = $20

steam pipe bends = $4 each

thats wat most poeple pay retail

Edited by STR8E180