SAU Community

Front Camera

well i have the rear camera (and love it!) but i have been wondering for a while about front cameras..

does anyone have the optional front cameras on the left / right of the front bumper?

if so, how do they work? ie when do they come on and is the image split with the rear cameras?

for those not understanding, i have attached a pic of said camera system i found on the internet..

i would welcome any ideas and discussion on the matter..

chris rogers - did you notice in my car a provision to hook these up to the rear TV box? i imagine there might have been a loose plug hanging around somewhere. also, since you can source the rear cameras, can you also source these front cameras?

i'm mostly interested in how and when an image is displayed, i assume its to assist with parking or for something else? does it turn on an image at low speeds or something? or is it to see around corners when turning and it comes on with the indicators?

cheers,

Warren

post-2094-1203747440_thumb.jpg

From what I read before the camera send the images split half left/half right on the monitor screen.

It's probably quite useful in japan where you may have blind corners with two tall buildings built up to the street front,

as you coming out of a narrow alley or street. But in Australia with hardly any situation like that except in some CBD alleys, the front cameras probably not as useful here as they are in Japan.

warren,

I'll have a dig. not sure how it switches into the car - in your case the clarion box does all the switching via data signals so I dare say it would support the front one. got a part number for it?

no part number sorry

and its not something offered on the G35 so info is hard to come by..

the problem is the reverse camera switches when the car is put into reverse, so there is a definitive event that can cause the switch

obviously this can't switch the front cameras on also becasue there can't be 3 images on the screen, and also the front cameras would be useless when reversing... so there must be some other way it turns on i'm thinking..

sk_043_03.jpg

thats how t switches on. thinking on this would be that it loops in behind the rear camera and displays on the screen that way. when both are off - the AUX in works. only way I can see it working.

want one?(or the set since there is a left/right ont here.)

also its NOT cheap!

---------

You are buying:

Japan Yen 165900.00

at an exchange rate of: 96.98

in the form of Telegraphic Transfer

which is equivalent to

Australian Dollars 1710.66

---------

well i have the rear camera (and love it!) but i have been wondering for a while about front cameras..

does anyone have the optional front cameras on the left / right of the front bumper?

if so, how do they work? ie when do they come on and is the image split with the rear cameras?

for those not understanding, i have attached a pic of said camera system i found on the internet..

i would welcome any ideas and discussion on the matter..

chris rogers - did you notice in my car a provision to hook these up to the rear TV box? i imagine there might have been a loose plug hanging around somewhere. also, since you can source the rear cameras, can you also source these front cameras?

i'm mostly interested in how and when an image is displayed, i assume its to assist with parking or for something else? does it turn on an image at low speeds or something? or is it to see around corners when turning and it comes on with the indicators?

cheers,

Warren

i've got the front cameras in my car. it does split the image into half and half and you switch it on by pressing the button that chris rogers posted. button is located below the hazard switch. it only works when you're in 1st gear (i have the manual), so basically, you put it in first gear, pop up the screen and press the button. it automatically switches off when you shift to 2nd gear or after 20 secs, if you're still in 1st gear. i imagine it is helpful when coming off a driveway w/ both sides full of parked cars making it difficult to see if a car is coming by. it's helpful for parking beside another car as you can use to judge the distance to the curb. i use it when i back into my garage in conjunction w/ the rear camera, so i know when to stop so that the front bumper just clears the garage door - to give me a ton of room at the rear.

had no idea it cost that much.

cheers,

rob

thanks for that rob! just what i was looking for!

yeah i was thinking it would be really helpful when parking

that's interesting it only works in 1st gear and turns off after 20sec --> makes it perfect for its application

hos is the image to see with split screen going?

thanks for that rob! just what i was looking for!

yeah i was thinking it would be really helpful when parking

that's interesting it only works in 1st gear and turns off after 20sec --> makes it perfect for its application

hos is the image to see with split screen going?

i think the auto off feature is for safety reasons. same reason why the tv would turn off when the car is moving.

the image is not bad. a bit confusing at first bec of the split screen feature but easy enough to get used to it. it's coloured and not as 'distorted' as the rear camera - if i'm not mistaken the rear camera shows a wide angle shot and therefore it looks like objects are still far away. i'll post a pic when i get a chance to take one within the week.

cheers.

RS73,

I can get the rear one. teh front one I'll have to follow up. bear in mind IF I do get one it will have to be paid for BEFORE I order it and it will be MORE than the price above due to taxes and exchange.

split screen picture from the front cameras - taken inside the garage, no extra lighting to illuminate the area in front of the cameras. sorry for the flash showing on the right side of the screen.

cheers.

post-43007-1204026293_thumb.jpg

post-43007-1204026430_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
RS73,

I can get the rear one. teh front one I'll have to follow up. bear in mind IF I do get one it will have to be paid for BEFORE I order it and it will be MORE than the price above due to taxes and exchange.

What's the cost of adding rear cameras? If too expensive probably best just to settle with audible reverse parking sensor, the one that beeps...

That brings up a bit off-topic question: the standard reverse beeper, how can I kill it?

kill the trusty reverse beeper? you're insane!

haha

chris rogers can source the original stock camera if you want one, otherwise there are a number of aftermarket cameras that work ok (not quite as good image angle or positioning as the stock camera though) but are more discreet than the butt pimple that is the stocker.. there are some cameras that mount to your lisence plate and are very hidden. but, easy to steal, and positioned wrong for the best image when reversing..

now, the most important point, where are the pictures of your car?

what options did you get?

did you get the battery fixed? did htat fix all your electrical issues?

Edited by WazR32GTSt

I finally got it started using a portable jump starter as it was parked in a garage with awkward position so a normal jumper cable is not long enough to connect to the other working cars. driveway was a bit slope so don't really wanna push it out in case it can't start and can't push it back up into garage.

Options: just normal premium, semi leather, tv, bose, steering wheel audio control, pretty much plain, added Chris Roger's garmin nav & the tv tuner but since lost of battery power have lost the digital channel settings, gotta get it up on a high ground to have it rescan, at the moment only getting abc & sbs in my suburb.

Once the engine started, it fixes all weird electrical issues. Chris told me car runs a CAN (controlled area network) any power drop from battery is gonna cause weird things happenning in V35 including unable to turn off headlights! how funny is that!

Now killing the reverse beeper is that I never heard a beeping in aussie delivered cars when it's put into reverse (unless a reverse parking sensor is installed) and the std japanese reverse beeper just doesn't work like parking sensor, it's just beeping with constant interval no matter how close you get to the car/wall/tree behind you when reversing... alternatively whether the reverse beeper can be wired to a parking sensor so it works with varying interval depending how close the distance to an object at the back...?

OH! and pics are in the other thread in importing forum: fresh off the boat....